Debunking the myth: The cost of Obama's trip to Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debunking the myth: The cost of Obama's trip to Asia

(CNN) -- It's a story that originated from a single, unnamed sourced in India -- but it quickly gained momentum, spreading like wildfire among critics of the Obama administration in the United States and eventually, the airwaves.
    The claim: The United States will be "spending a whopping $200 million per day" on President Barack Obama's trip to Asia.
    That's roughly the amount the federal government spends each day on the war in Afghanistan. The figure has been dismissed by the White House as "wildly inflated."
    What's more, the claim doesn't appear to hold water.
    The former chief of staff for George W. Bush told CNN's Anderson Cooper in a Thursday interview that it doesn't pass the "sniff test."
    "It doesn't to me, but I think the White House is appropriate in saying they don't talk about what it costs for the president to travel," said Andrew Card. "We want our president to be safe wherever he goes. I can't imagine it would cost $200 million a day.
    "If it costs anywhere close to that number, the president should be asking tough questions of the Defense Department and the Secret Service and the State Department. But he should also be paying attention to keeping his entourage as small as credibly possible and still do the job that he has to do for the country as he travels."
    While the White House has not released specifics on the cost of the trip, citing security concerns, White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage has said, "It's safe to say these numbers are wildly inflated."
    Those numbers, according to Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann, are: $200 million a day, $2 billion total, 34 diverted Navy ships, a 2,000-person presidential entourage, and 870 hotel rooms in India.
    "And these are five-star hotel rooms at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel," Bachmann told CNN's "AC 360" Wednesday night.
    Pressed by Cooper to back up her numbers, Bachmann said, "These are the numbers that are coming out in the press."
    The press she was referring to is the Press Trust of India, one of the largest news organizations in that country. Its source for Tuesday's article on the cost of Obama's trip was based on a single anonymous source: "a top official of the Maharashtra government privy to the arrangements for the high-profile visit."
    The Press Trust article was picked up by The Drudge Report and other sites online and quickly made its way into conservative talk radio, sparking outrage by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage and others.

More at .... http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/...ex.html?hpt=C1
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Oh boy ... all of a sudden there is a concern about the cost of trips and holidays? Wha yuh say Mosiah? Change is good?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

did you watch AC360 last night...it was another lesson i tell you .... SCARY

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        did you watch AC360 last night...it was another lesson i tell you .... SCARY
        No I didn't. When you say "SCARY" was it because the witch Michele Bachmann was on it?

Comment

that bwas the night before ... they played some clips....i have to say lazie...it was a perfect example of the fact that the repubicans do not have ANY other platform or aganda other than to get out obama.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/pod...iref=allsearch

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            that bwas the night before ... they played some clips....i have to say lazie...it was a perfect example of the fact that the repubicans do not have ANY other platform or aganda other than to get out obama.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/pod...iref=allsearch

Thanks fi the link ... .

Comment

Those numbers, according to Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann, are: $200 million a day, $2 billion total, 34 diverted Navy ships, a 2,000-person presidential entourage, and 870 hotel rooms in India.
              That woman is one crazy focker. Gezzzzz I saw her on MSNBC on election night and she is now drunk with power.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

erm...."with power"? shi nuh get di power yet! shi mussi just drunk!!!

Comment

I am not convinced she is crazy. Just playing to her base, just like Palin. Just like Glen Beck.

There is a lot of money to be made AND raised by doing that.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

This is why I tried hard to enlighten some on this board: It doesn't matter if you are highly educated or not. It comes down to a common denominator. Portia is viewed the same way in Ja hence the big noise about her travel plans (Granted past PM flew hither and thither around the world).

Many tried to mask their bigotry in arguments that Portia can't speak well (at the same time advocating for Patois as a national language) or she does nothing for her constituents hence she should walk to the US or stay at howard Johnsons. Now what's the reason fo BAM?

JA's people are being manipulated constantly and there are no visonaries to lead them from the illusions.

Comment

being right is overrated anyway...so what the hey....

Comment

Is Portia a visionary leader in your opinion?
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Okay read slowly and tell me what you gather from this statement:
                          "It doesn't matter if you are highly educated or not. It comes down to a common denominator" Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                            Okay read slowly and tell me what you gather from this statement:
                            "It doesn't matter if you are highly educated or not. It comes down to a common denominator" Thanks.
                            it mean seh Portia is a visionary leada!! Tanks!!

Di Messiah dey yah!! tenk yuh Geezas!!
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

one last try: Why was Percy Julian not accepted in Harvard, was it because of his brilliance? When those that march were called the N word was it because of their profession, whether they were visionary leaders or because they had a common denominator?

See why the elite in Ja has no respect for you guys? They manipulate you against yourself. You would certainly call Garvey a bufffoon (had you lived in his time)

Walk good.

Comment

Working...
                              X