• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christie in charge! - Delinquent public bodies toe the line

Christie in charge! - Delinquent public bodies toe the line
    published: Friday | January 12, 2007
    <DIV class=KonaBody Ar6jv="true">

Greg Christie, the Contractor General. - Ian Allen/StaffPhotographer

After a stern warning of criminal prosecution against the principals of public bodies if they continued to ignore the Contractor General's request for contract award reports to be filed with his office, Contractor General Greg Christie has reported that there was a 100 per cent compliance rate.

In what has been described as a record and unprecedented response, 191 public bodies submitted their 2006 second and third quarter contract award reports with the Office of the Contractor General (OCG) before the January 12 deadline.

On October 30, Mr. Christie wrote to permanent secretaries and other heads of public agencies warning that he would refer the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions if these bodies continued to flout the law.

At that time, 165 of the 191 public bodies were tardy in submitting their quarter contract award reports despite the expiration of the preliminary deadline last year.

Mr. Christie, arguing last year that the breaches had reached alarming proportions, had said that he would not tolerate the unlawful and flagrant disregard by public bodies officials of requisitions made by his office for the supply of critical contract award data.

Compelled to act

"It is now abundantly clear that the OCG is compelled to act and must do so forthrightly and dispassionately if it is to effectively discharge its several mandates under the law," the Contractor General had warned.

The requirement for public bodies to filequarterly reports of their contract awards, ranging from between $250,000 and $4,000,000, is a special anti-corruption initiative of the Contractor General. It was launched effective for contracts which were awarded as at May 1, 2006.

In a release yesterday, the OCG stated that public bodies were now legally obliged to submit quarter contract award reports within 30 days of the ending of eachcalender year quarter. </DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Christie in charge! - Delinquent public bodies toe the line

Lazie: This shows who is 'the government'! Our breddas and sitahs hat di controls within each department of 'di government'.

BTW - Can you name the Contractor-Generals (..or should it have been Contractors-General?) starting from the office came into being? This guy certainly shows up the previous office holders.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

And a dis man MP Dean Peart was tekking liberty wid, bout "him skirt showing"(Tant)
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

This is the kind of accountability we need from the public sector from PM down.

Not to buck shuffle and hide.

Again Karl you need to apologise to Mr. Christie.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin (1/12/2007)This is the kind of accountability we need from the public sector from PM down.

Not to buck shuffle and hide.

Again Karl you need to apologise to Mr. Christie.
          About?

I hope you are not saying he must not be challenged and tough questions asked of his findings?

In true checks and balances both sides must be in the hot seat. No free pass for the Contractor-General he must also be kept honest!

Comment

he has my vote until he is proven wrong.

when people like this fighting for justice we have to stand behind them.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Assasin (1/12/2007)he has my vote until he is proven wrong.

when people like this fighting for justice we have to stand behind them.
              Standing behind someone does not mean agreeing to everything that person says or does.

...as I keep reminding my kids ."get rid of the 'friends' who claim you are right 100% of the time. They are not your friends but hangers-on with their own agenda". Friends let you know when you are right and when you are in the wrong. They want to help you stay on the right path.

So it would be with a Christie. He must not be above being questioned on his actions. If he is correct on actions, he will be able to answer the accusers and rebuff their aspersions. If he is not correct, he will see the errors of his ways and get back on track. In any case if he is the genuine article he will take the accusations, etc., in stride.

Comment

What Christie showed in the Sandals case is just based on the documents he had.

Niether Vin Lawerence or Alston Stewart have documents to back their claims yet you choose not to take them to task but Christie's credibility and motives..

Ask questions yes

Comment

Assasin (1/12/2007)What Christie showed in the Sandals case is just based on the documents he had.

Niether Vin Lawerence or Alston Stewart have documents to back their claims yet you choose not to take them to task but Christie's credibility and motives..

Ask questions yes
                  You cannot in good conscience claim that I taken Christie to task. Making that claim in your post is unfair.

Let me repeat my point - Any person in authority must be prepared to be questioned. If the actions of those in authority are never questioned mistakes and or corruption... (...the very corruption you are focused on will raise its ugly head. ...and, that corruption could raise its head in many ways including selective targeting of some and exclusion of others for personal reasons and or montary rewards, or to protect an individual or individuals and or toenhance status, promote aims of person(s), entity/entities, etc.)...will slip through the cracks or escape scrutiny.

It follows that if those in authority must expect to be questioned and are indeed questioned soem of the questioning will arise from persons with particular agendas. That of is self in no way makes questioning of the person in authority a 'no-no'!

Christie must be questioned. That will help to keep him on the 'straight and narrow'...and, that is good for the country.

Aside: K.D. Knight and othersquestioning Christie may have their own agenda - and,they may even be foolish...but, they have the right to question Christie and Christie has tools to defend himself.The people and the courts will make/arrive atthe conclusions.

That questioning of Christie - a man entrusted with public responsibility - is no different from our questioning of Burrell and Boxhill. Burrell and Boxhill hold public responsiblity in the area of managing our football...and,they must expect...and we all question their actions. They have the tools to defend themselves...we make the judgements on how well they are doing/performing.

Comment

Working...
                  X