How Can This Be True...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can This Be True...

"Local fillet is priced at around J$450 per pound compared to J$210 per pound for frozen tilapia of Chinese origin."

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...business1.html

The cost of production does not make Jamaica a competitive place for business. Frozen tilapia from China needs to be tested for industrial pollutants, since their environmental & safety records are poor. Personally, I would be hesitant to consume any food items imported from China.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Absolutely Hortical. Quite frankly I would NOT eat any frozen, fresh frozen, and probably not even canned food from China. They have a terrible record on food safety and quality control. That does not mean you dont have good suppliers from China, but in the scheme of things, when one considers the generally poor sanitary conditions on many of the Chinese suppliers, the level of corruption in China, and this compounded with Jamaican corruption and ineptitude, eating an item such as frozen Talapia from China would be placing you, and your loved ones at risk of significant morbidity, and possible mortality. In short, DUMP THE SH!T. Spend the extra money and eat the Jamaican version.

Comment

What Jamaican version? The article says that "No fillets are currently being produced locally..."...also why would we try to resuscitate an industry that we can't compete in?

Comment

You and Hortical commened on the snatation of the Chinese product, how about there cost consider cold storage and shipping.

How does Jamaican farmers came up with there prices, can they state how many pounds of feed it takes to deliver 1 lb of fish to the market? or do they take a number out of a hat(same goes for goat farmers)

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
            The cost of production does not make Jamaica a competitive place for business. Frozen tilapia from China needs to be tested for industrial pollutants, since their environmental & safety records are poor. Personally, I would be hesitant to consume any food items imported from China.
            Let me sing this song for you "You are not Alone"

I love fish, but when I go down there, mi will haffi buy the fish @ seaside! Mi nuh want no fish from China - PLEEZ
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

In the 80's when I worked with Dr. Christine Olive Moody (a brilliant woman - may her sould RIP), who was Medical Officer Health for Portland, she started a project in Windsor Castle - Portland/St. Mary rearing of fish - African Perch and rice growing.

Like most things, it probably died a natural death when she left Portland and moved to PAHO.
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Why is it they make it sound as if Rice growing is so hard to do?

With all that rain in JA, why nuh leggo some Perch and Telipa in the rivers and lakes? Cho.

Yuh know why I wont eat fish from over su.

Comment

But isn't there a fish farm in Clarendon and some other people in St. Catherine?
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

every job a Jamaica is slavery but we come a Merica and do the same thing.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

St Bess Homecoming supose to have a fish farm Project.
                      Some people nuh care for those fish, but I hear tell that if you soak the fish in salt water it is hard to tell from the sea fish, as well as I hear that a farm in Westmoreland ponds sometime gets sea water during high tide andthe fish taste as those from the sea, I must see if I can find that story.

Comment

You mean I man nah slave num mu eehh, but him will east though. People are currently cultivating rice in Westmoreland, only the bureucrats confuse.

Comment

Well you have fi give Tufton all the credit for that because we give it up long time ago and he actually had a pilot program to choose what rise was best for where etc.

I hope they do well. I have a little farming project I am working on as the market is there for some products and you only need somebody with some sense to do a a little thing as long as you nah plant Banana and them thing deh.

Believe it or not but I hear the argiculture minstry working wid people.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I thought fresh water fish could only survive in...well, fresh water?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Some fish live in sweet water(les brine, such as in Harbors), and some go between sweet and river(see Trapon, Mullet, Eels, Snook..) I don't know where Salmon and Trout place in this.

Let me Google this some more "fresh water fish could only survive in.."

Comment

Working...
                              X