Prime Minister promises to get tough on road contractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Minister promises to get tough on road contractors

Prime Minister Bruce Golding is threatening to withhold payment to road contractors who carry out shoddy work.
    Speaking Wednesday night on his monthly radio call in programme "Jamaica House Live", said his administration will be taking a tough stance on contractors who are hired to carry out road projects.
    He was responding to a caller who lamented the extensive damage done to roads which were repaired by local contractors compared to those which were fixed by foreign contractors.
    Mr. Golding said he raised the matter earlier this week with officials of the Ministry of Transport and Works.
    “Monday morning I had a meeting with Transport Minister Mike Henry and the team from the National Works Agency and that is exactly what I was talking about. I told them I wanted to be satisfied, I wanted them to demonstrate to me what systems are being put in place to ensure that this Jamaica Development Infrastructure Programme, that is funded through a loan from China, I wanted to be satisfied that the people who are going to do that work are competent, qualified,” Mr. Golding said.
    The Prime Minister is proposing that a portion of payments to road contractors be withheld for a specified period.
    “And secondly that systems must be in place that you don’t get paid until we certify that the work has been done to specification and in addition to that, that a portion of the contract money must be held back for a period, I think one year, so that if the roads start falling apart during that year we know that we hold back some money from you in order to take care of whatever remedial work we have to do,”
    “We have to get serious; we have wasted too much money and don’t have anything to show for it because of shoddy workmanship, we cannot allow that to happen in the future,” he said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Mi nuh know if there is a requirement that dem be bonded. In the USA, road contractors haffi be bonded, and if dem work nuh up to par, the bond can be called and that money taken fi clean up dem mess.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

did the article say "the prime minister promise..."? heh heh, that should mean he is not going to do a damn thing! that liad!

the prime minister is ignorant about what takes place. come wid him ras.s proposal, like him a some genius. mek him stay deh chat off him lying mout'! what we need is for some mechanism to kick the likes of him from office!

and yes, we...they are indeed bonded.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So if dem bonded, the bond should be called, after several warnings and the work is still nuh up to par.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

dem have the bond paypah.....

met a guy once who said that his job was "selling insurance cover note"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

well, maybe that's where the problem lies! but the PM is not introducing anything new here. people take civil engineers fi fool!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              well, maybe that's where the problem lies! but the PM is not introducing anything new here. people take civil engineers fi fool!

Don't draw mi tongue Mosiah! Everyday, yu get up a fight wid Bruce, it's time yuh tek the fight to the Jakan populance who elect LAME politicians. Unless you weed out all of them, liad Bruce resigning won't serve a damn purpose. Suh mi tink
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

A shoulda did fight him fi true when him did run ova mi foot!

yes, wi people need fi start demand more from wi politicians, but at the same time, our politicians need to tek whey demself when dem screw up!

why is bruce still here?!?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

next time yuh si him ask...from a safe distance though

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Lazie, is there a National policy on how a A, B or Parish Council road should be constructed, and Maintain?

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                      Lazie, is there a National policy on how a A, B or Parish Council road should be constructed, and Maintain?
                      I don't know!
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                        next time yuh si him ask...from a safe distance though
                        yuh tink mi fraid a him?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes there is.

You find some mall and spread it on the road.

If you have enough money left after paying Dons and political cronies you put some gravel and a little bit of asphault. If the money done you leave it alone and the "soup" and councillor know say "is a politics thing".
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yuh too outta ordah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's October 2010...and there are no basic contractor standards (or codes) . Sad.

And don't tell me there are......
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X