PSTU urges Government to review leave arrangement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSTU urges Government to review leave arrangement

She told the committee that persons employed to the public service before 2002 could currently be receiving a total of 74 days leave comprising vacation, sick, casual and national holidays.

The total number of working days in the public sector is 260 per year.

Speaking specifically on the issue of vacation leave, Sinclair- McCalla said under the current leave arrangement system a civil servant could accumulate as many as 175 days in vacation leave.

More at ... http://go-jamaica.com/news/read_article.php?id=23717
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Yeap! Especially the teachers. They get every holiday, the entire summer yet every couple of years they get 4 -6 months paid vacation? Joke ting.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

chuss mi ... dem need it. and although they are "off" all summer...they really are not "off" all summer. i know this.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        chuss mi ... dem need it. and although they are "off" all summer...they really are not "off" all summer. i know this.
        Can Jamaica as a country afford it? I think not!

Comment

my mother taught for about 47 years. if those responsible for moulding our youth are frassed out.......wi doomed!

having seen it first hand, we continue to "misunderappreciate" how vital a role our teachers play. i won't even deal with the issue of them being severely underpaid, i will just stick to the issue of we need our teachers to be fresh and sharp.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

my mother taught for about 47 years. if those responsible for moulding our youth are frassed out.......wi doomed!

having seen it first hand, we continue to "misunderappreciate" how vital a role our teachers play. i won't even deal with the issue of them being severely underpaid, i will just stick to the issue of we need our teachers to be fresh and sharp.
            Again, can Jamaica afford it? The efforts of the teachers are appreciated, yes, they are underpaid. But all this time off need to be cut out.

Comment

jamaica HAVE to afford it! we do not have much choice as it is THAT important!

Comment

Lazie would be much more understanding with our teachers if it was the PNP that had to be dealing with them now.

stay deh a kip up long talk wid him!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Lazie would be much more understanding with our teachers if it was the PNP that had to be dealing with them now.

stay deh a kip up long talk wid him!
                  Auggh ... still suffering from BCS? I've held this position from my wife was teaching in Jamaica. Last I checked your beloved PNP was ruling then.

Comment

jamaica HAVE to afford it! we do not have much choice as it is THAT important!
                    So why is it teachers in other countries don't get the luxury of a paid vacation? People need to stop getting sentimental and start getting real now.

Comment

sentimental?!!

if i were another type person i would offer you a few choice word of sentimentality! because i know firsthand that teachers deserve it,that is sentimentality?! are you tell me that your research tells you no other country in world offers teachers paid vacation?!!

i think we have differing views and out of respect ... i will leave it there. no need to answer the questions.

Comment

Well, I don't considered it a paid vacation. I've heard this argument many times as it relates to teachers here in the US. People think they are paid for the summer when school is off, not true. Thery are paid empoyees for 10 months of the year, but their wages are spread over a 12 month period.

Dem deserve every penny, at least the majority of them! A few rotten ones though, who give the others a bad name.
                        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                          Well, I don't considered it a paid vacation. I've heard this argument many times as it relates to teachers here in the US. People think they are paid for the summer when school is off, not true. Thery are paid empoyees for 10 months of the year, but their wages are spread over a 12 month period.

Dem deserve every penny, at least the majority of them! A few rotten ones though, who give the others a bad name.
                          No Mdmex ... summer vacation is different from vacation. Don't teachers in Jamaica have a 12 month contract? That is another thing?

Comment

Working...
                          X