Microsoft is a dying consumer brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft is a dying consumer brand

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Consumers have turned their backs on Microsoft. A company that once symbolized the future is now living in the past.
    Microsoft has been late to the game in crucial modern technologies like mobile, search, media, gaming and tablets. It has even fallen behind in Web browsing, a market it once ruled with an iron fist.

Outgoing Chief Software Architect Ray Ozzie called out Microsoft's lost ground in a blog post over the weekend.
    "Our early and clear vision notwithstanding, [competitors'] execution has surpassed our own in mobile experiences, in the seamless fusion of hardware & software & services, and in social networking & myriad new forms of internet-centric social interaction," he said.
    It's not like Microsoft didn't foresee the changes ahead. With a staff of almost 90,000, the company has many of the tech world's smartest minds on its payroll, and has incubated projects in a wide range of fields that later took off. Experiments like Courier (tablets), HailStorm/Passport (digital identity), and Windows Media Center (content in the cloud) show the company was ahead of the game in many areas -- but then it either failed to bring those products to market, or didn't execute.
    "In this age, the race really is to the swift. You cannot afford to be an hour late or a dollar short," says Laura DiDio, principal analyst at ITIC. "Now the biggest question is: Can they make it in the 21st century and compete with Google and Apple?"
    Some influential analysts think not. Several have downgraded Microsoft's (MSFT, Fortune 500) stock in recent weeks, as PC sales continue to slow and Microsoft struggles with its tablet strategy. The company's stock is down more than 17% this year.
    What's wrong with Microsoft
    A rundown of Microsoft's major consumer projects finds trouble in almost all of them.
    Internet Explorer's popularity has been waning for years, and one recent study showed that for the first time in more than a decade, more people are using alternative browsers. The browser is becoming the single most critical piece of software on a device -- potentially eclipsing the operating system -- but all of the major innovations of the past few years, like tabbed browsing and add-on extensions, came from outside Microsoft.
    Windows Phone 7 has promise, but Microsoft dug itself an enormous hole with the subpar Windows Mobile platform. With its market share currently sitting below 5%, developers are taking a "wait and see" approach.

More at http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/27/tech...cnn=yes&hpt=T2
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

IE tek too long fi startup and have too much code inna it. While Firefox fast like lightning. Mi ongle use IE when an application requires it.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yuh remember Netscape
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Yes, and I preferred fi use it instead of IE back then. IE put dem out of bizness.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Microsoft profits from record first-quarter sales

Microsoft said it had been an "exceptional" quarter
          Microsoft has announced a 51% rise in first-quarter profit, thanks to higher sales of its flagship Windows and Office software.
          Net profit for the three months to September came in at $5.4bn (£3.4bn).
          Revenues increased by 25% to $16.2bn - a company record for the first quarter.
          But Microsoft said that in the same quarter last year it had deferred some revenue from Windows sales. Had it not done so, its net profit would have been only 16% higher in comparison.
          "This was an exceptional quarter, combining solid enterprise growth and continued strong consumer demand for Office 2010, Windows 7, and Xbox 360 consoles and games," said Peter Klein, chief financial officer at Microsoft.
          Windows sales rose 66% on a year earlier to $4.8bn, while Office and other business software brought in $5.1bn, a 14% increase on last year.
          'Firing on all cylinders'
          Microsoft shares rose 2.8% in after-hours trading.
          Its stock has fallen 14% so far this year as investors worry about its ability to adapt to new ways of computing.
          Last week, its chief software architect Ray Ozzie unexpectedly resigned, and warned that the company must think "beyond the PC".
          But its latest results were better than analysts had expected.
          "Microsoft had a very good quarter," said Toan Tran, an analyst at Morningstar.
          "Windows is still doing well, Office is doing well, and servers and tools are doing well. The big three businesses are firing on all cylinders as the PC upgrade cycle continues."
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I forgot to comment on that silly article.

Dying brand. Please. The man them selling more Windows 7 and Xbox in a year than most companies sell in a decade.

Just because you are not the only option anymore does not mean you are dying. IBM is a great example of this.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

make them gwaan talk. I remember when Apple was a dead company. There is a cycle and you just have to go with the flow. As you say IBM is making a lot of money and the sell their PC company.

Microsoft licensing along bring in a lot of money. Many companies and gov organization pay yearly for this. I remember when I use to manage the licensing for an organization. One go and you a talk bout 25-30 thousand dollars.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

IBM earns their dollars from primarily B2B, and nuh the consumer market.

Comment

They always did. You miss my point, which is that IBM was once the only option for businesses and now they are not. Yet they still make big profits.

Same is true for Microsoft in the consumer market where technology is concerned.

Microsoft is by far the leading consumer software company, nothing else sells close to Windows and Office on consumer PCs.

They also have a successful gaming platform with Xbox and Xbox live. If they have even moderate success with thier new Windows phone they have all bases covered where the consumer is concerned

Not exactly a dying consumer brand.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Actually, I did not concur that they were a dying brand, but that they are receiving a lot of competition for their browser.

Comment

Well on that we agree. But how important is browser share anymore though?

With the rise of smartphones, mobile devices and now boxes like Apple TV, Google TV, Xbox,etc more and more internet access is taking place through these devices and not the traditional browser.

Comment

they still have a big share of the browser market.

Comment

Yuh haff time. Same crap wid D1 an him mighty easten empire

Comment

oh well!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                            X