• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bar Him!'

'Bar Him!'
    Published: Friday | October 22, 201013 Comments and 0 Reactions
    Edmond Campbell, Senior Staff Reporter

AT LEAST two members of the Constituency Development Fund (CDF) committee of Parliament have said that the Office of the Contractor General (OCG) should be prevented from taking part in the evaluation meetings of the fund's Programme Management Unit (PMU).

"There is nowhere in the guidelines that requires him to be there, so just bar him," declared CDF committee Chairman Everald Warmington in reference to the OCG representative who observes the preliminary review process.

Derrick Kellier, a committee member, also stated that the OCG personnel had "no place (sitting) there".

Their comments were made during the October 12 CDF committee sitting at Gordon House.

Contractor General Greg Christie told The Gleaner yesterday that, while he had not read or seen the alleged statements, "if indeed they were in fact made by Mr Warmington and/or Mr Kellier, then (they) would have been misguided in the making of the said statements".

Unlawful action

Christie charged that it was unlawful for any person or authority to direct the OCG as to the manner in which it should discharge its functions under the Contractor General Act.

"If the OCG decides to attend meetings of the CDFPMU, the CDF parliamentary committee would have no legal authority to prevent it from so doing," he said.

The contractor general cautioned that it was not possible for any state official or person to obstruct the OCG in the lawful discharge of its mandates under the Contractor General Act to monitor any component of the Government's contract award processes.

The verbatim report of the parliamentary committee's proceedings (Hansard) recorded a discussion in which Warmington, the chairman, and committee member Kellier reached consensus on the exclusion of a representative from the OCG from a CDF review committee.

"You see, I hear mention of the contractor general's name in this meeting, but I also have heard in previous meetings that the representative of the contractor general sits on this committee that 'pre-looks' at all these things," Warmington told his colleagues.

Said Kellier: "Yes, so if they sit on the review committee in matters like these, how come we still have to mention anything about the contractor general at this meeting ... ."

Questioned logic

The CDF chairman questioned the logic of the contractor general sending queries about projects which have already been examined despite the OCG representative sitting on the review committee.

"They (OCG) go there and review, they agree with it, it comes here and then in his investigation they complain about the project itself ... they need to ask him not to come back to the meeting," Warmington added.

"Well, I would wish to retroactively agree with you because I had said it from the very beginning that he had no place there," Kellier remarked.

But Christie denied claims that the OCG representative made contributions to the CDFPMU's meetings.

"In any case in which an OCG representative attends a meeting of the CDFPMU, he would be doing so only in the capacity as an observer and in pursuance of the OCG's contract monitoring mandates under the Contractor General Act," Christie affirmed.

The contractor general also contended that evaluation meetings which had been attended by an OCG representative did not deal with procurements. He said the meetings evaluated preliminary project proposals submitted by members of parliament prior to the proposal being sent to the CDF parliamentary committee for further assessment and approval.

edmond.campbell@gleanerjm.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Whey dem Bhutto come from ? Warmington at War in and outta parliament ?Sounds like an un articulate Bruce.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      Whey dem Bhutto come from ? Warmington at War in and outta parliament ?Sounds like an un articulate Bruce.
      probably more honest, still.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Warmington Hits Back
        Published: Saturday | October 23, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions

Gary Spaulding, Senior Gleaner Writer

IT WAS a hot week for Everald Warmington, the controversial political figure who found himself at the centre of a row with the media.

Yesterday, a cooler Warmington insisted that he had never proposed that journalists should be locked out of the Parliamentary Committee that he chairs which examines the work of the Constituency Development Fund (CDF).

"I have never taken that stance," declared Warmington.

Asked where the comment originated, Warmington responded "(you can) ask whoever wrote it, but I have never taken that stance."

Warmington's sharp tongue, for which he is well known, was reportedly unleashed on the media this week in the aftermath of a report carried by The Sunday Gleaner that East Central St Catherine MP, Natalie Neita-Headley had breached the rules of the CDF.

The Gleaner reported on Wednesday that Warmington had decried The Sunday Gleaner news story, characterising it as "gutterism" and had suggested that the media should continue to be barred.

"The CDF is here to stay," he declared at Tuesday's meeting.

Warmington, the MP for South Western St Catherine was supported by another Government member, Dr St Aubyn Bartlett.

Pressed further as to whether it was his view that the media should be barred from covering the committee meetings, Warmington said, "the Standing Orders (rules of Parliament) do not call for that."

Warmington told The Gleaner yesterday that he had no quarrel with the media.

"I have nothing with the media," Warmington asserted. "There may be something wrong with the media, but not with me," he quipped.

Asked whether he was spoken to by Prime Minister Bruce Golding, Warmington declined to comment, saying, "I will be making a further statement in the week coming up."

appropriate time

When The Gleaner requested that he elaborate, Warmington said, "I will say what I have to say at the appropriate time," he declared. "I have an appropriate statement to make at the appropriate time."

He told The Gleaner that his final statement on the matter would be forthcoming next week Tuesday.

Asked if he was angry with the media, Warmington declared, "No, no, no, I would never descend to that level to be angry with anybody."

Warmington also declined to comment on reports that he wants the representative of the Office of the Contractor General barred from the meetings.

He promised that any response that he has would be contained in the statement that would be made in the coming week.

But Warmington has already hit back, declaring that the committee was not empowered to prevent the OCG from attending the meetings.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
        X