X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marley's song requested by Chilean Miner Victor Zamora

Thu Oct 14, 2010 19:59

Mine rescue excites Chileans in Jamaica
    Published: Thursday | October 14, 2010 10 Comments and 0 Reactions Chile's President Sebastian Pinera (right) greets miner Juan Carlos Aguilar after his rescue.

In this photo released by the Chilean Presidential Press Office, Bolivia's President Evo Morales (centre) greets miner Victor Zamora Bugueno after his rescue operation from the collapsed San Jose gold and copper mine. Looking on is Chile President Sebastian Pinera (back left). - AP photos1 2 >Howard Campbell, Gleaner Writer

Tuesday night was a long one for members of the small Chilean community in Jamaica.

But watching several of their countrymen being rescued from a mine in the coastal Atacama desert made up for the lack of sleep.

"We were together at the start at the embassy until 9 Wednesday morning," Alfredo Garcia, Chile's ambassador to Jamaica, told The Gleaner.

"Everyone thought the rescue was exciting."

Garcia said his 15 guests cheered rapturously each time one of the miners emerged from the mine in a specially designed 13-foot capsule. Late yesterday, rescuers pulled to safety the last of the 33 miners who had been trapped for just over two months in the copper and gold San Jose mine.

Marley's song requested

Thirty-four-year-old Victor Zamora, an auto mechanic and labourer who has worked at the mine for five years, is reportedly a big fan of reggae superstar Bob Marley.

Zamora, the 14th miner pulled to safety, requested to hear Marley's Buffalo Soldier as he was being rescued.

Garcia, who has been ambassador here since 2008, is from the capital Santiago. He described the Atacama region as very remote and typical of mining areas in Chile, which is one of the world's leading producers of copper.

Mining is Chile's biggest industry, accounting for 40 per cent of the country's revenue. Codelco, Chile's largest mining company, headed the rescue operation which began at midnight Wednesday.

Garcia said many of the Chileans who live in Jamaica are expatriates married to Jamaicans. Over the years, some have been involved in the popular Latin American Women's Club.

An international audience has tracked the miners' fortunes since August 22 when they scrawled a note in red ink indicating they had survived a 700,000-ton rock slippage two weeks earlier.

The note was dragged to the surface after being tied to a probe authorities had lowered into their shelter half a mile underground.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015
Working...
X