Assasin it look like I going to have to stop watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assasin it look like I going to have to stop watch

the Unsung series. Them too damn depressing sometime iya, although it gives you a realistic look at what happens to these artistes after they are no longer riding the charts.

How a man like George Clinton coulda sign over all his songs to some lawyer? Yeah the guy is a crook but man haffe realise that when you play with sharks you going to get bite sooner or later.

THe amount of P-Funk songs that Dre, Snoop and NWA sample , those alone should be generating a nice income for him. Instead him haffe a play 200+ dates a year just to make a living.

Me convinced that some of these deals were made when these artistes were high on something, or in need of thier next high. If I remember correctly Ike Turner did the same thing with his songs from the Ike and Tina era.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

i would be surprised if bootsy collins not in the same boat.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

They did one on Bootsy last season. Him never sound too bad off, him have a big ranch somewhere in Ohio I think. Apparently he still plays quite a bit, so maybe he just has more income coming in than George Clinton does.

I remember Rick James saying how drugs and partying will make you blow all 50 grand in a night, easy. When you spend like that it almost don't matter how much money you make, either you dead young or you run out of money.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

took a little break. I missed George Clinton I have to see the rerun.
        sad but when you see so many attorneys and businessmen a hug up the rights and the musicians in shambles it is a sad state.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

many of our local artistes fall in that same category. Delroy Wilson, Ken Boothe, too many to name.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

looking at this tying it into don 1's expose yesterday, i have to say that there is more tahn a little evidence to suggest that he and seaga are right.

i would go one step further and suggests that seaga's knows of what he speaks because that is how he operates.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I missed his expose, what did he say?
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

see highlighted areas.

Yes but nontheless we do have a culture that tends to view profits and capital formation as a less than moral activity. I disagree... Jamaicans are congenitally entrepreneurial... everyone wants to "try a ting" pon di side... and become rich or able to better themselves. The low cultural level does create jealousy of comparatively wealthy people... but it's about "that should be me not you"
                It's not imho about the fact of wealth accumulation as a concept being evil.

What spoils the broth is the class & power structure imposed on the majority & maintained & directed from above... if the society was more egalitarian...through freeing up education...we would have less social tensions from below & above.

That it is not so is mainly the fault of the JLPNP/big business power nexus

Quote:
                If you make your money playing sports or creating music, we love that. but if you make it through traditional business your wealth is viewed as suspect, ie ripping off the poor in some way.
                Agreed...that's because sportspeople and the players of music mainly spring from the mass of the people and people know that their success is based on "merit" (even if they DJ fooliniss).. it's a meritocracy

People believe with a certain element of truth that the "traditional business sector" is totally gamed to limit the rise of small businesses...first through the poor education and then limiting "contacts" to good bankable opportunities...then starvation from capital.

The system IS gamed... therefore dysfunctional... and nuff people are alienated from it....It's a modern day plantocracy.

Quote:
                It comes back to education. Most people believe consciously or subconsciously that wealth is a zero-sum game, ie for one to be richer someone else must be poorer. Some of that is because of our experience historically, but we have to get past that and understand that the pie is not fixed, and the role of govt is not to re-distribute the pie but to allow the pie to grow.
                I agree...but unfortunately we have fools for leaders... and sheep for followers

Comment

Like Musical Youth some of the foundation reggae artist got a little something in the last 4-5 years based on their works over the years. Yes even until today so many of the young artists are giving away their work and it so happen. I have work for some and they don't even know what royalties are and are not registered artists. Some are just use to "give I a thing nuh".

When Bounty did the song with No Doubt they gave him no royalties right just a work-for-hire, later he was upset that the tune became a hit and he got nothing. Is it possible he could have dropped his price and ask for even 5% royalty? Because of the lack of trust in the industry some artist just want a money upfront and gwaan with them thing. There are a few who you can work with and give them a good deal.

We really need to educate these young entertainers for that and more reasons.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

which quote is who's?

Comment

why was he upset about the no doubt deal? btw don't all these artists have managers and agents, what do they do?

Comment

don1's are highlighted

Comment

It looks like nuff of the times the situation is similar to what you describe with Bounty/No Doubt. Them prefer the upfront money, them get it, but still them think them get ripped off if the song hit big. Is wha wrong wid our people ? Lack of education and common sense is a ************************ ting bwoy.

It wont matter if is the American, European, Chiney man or Indian running the world, we will forever be the victim bawling for justice if we nuh wise up.

Me haffe say though, nuh matter what you think bout the rappers and hip-hop artistes, they have done a MUCH better job at managing thier creative content. I will forever respect 50 Cent for that Vitamin Water endorsement deal. That should be a COMPULSORY lesson for any ghetto youth making it big in entertainment or sports.

Comment

Well if Musical Youth is any indication, dem have dem snout deeper in the trough than anybody else.

Comment

well dem doomed from the get go!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X