Is the DPP compromised?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the DPP compromised?

That's about the only explanation I can think of when one considers the Aubyn Hill and Colin Campbell cases:

- 3 men independently make the same "mistake" (and an odd one at that considering that all 3 should by now know the difference between an "employee" and a "contractor") and the DPP basically says that unless she is certain of a conviction then there is no case for perjury.

- a man not provided answers to a few questions in requisitions during an investigation and according to the DPP, she found that said man had no lawful justification or excuse for not providing the responses and (in her own words) "in so doing, he has, on the face of the legislation, obstructed and hindered the contractor general in the execution of his functions in relation to this investigation" but that with no independent material that clearly contradicted the man's position or indicated that the man was trying to cover up any matters the case would be weakened on the concept of intent to commit a crime. According the DPP apparently there must be proof of criminal intention to commit an act for her to mount a viable prosecution.

Now maybe I missed it, but since when has ignorance of law become an excuse? If in the DPP's own words she found that someone, anyone had "on the face of the legislation, obstructed or hindered the contractor-general" then hasn't that person violated the law? If so and the violation of that law comes with penalties (fine or imprisonment), isn't that person supposed to be charged? So is she now saying that if maybe when driving someone runs over her sister because she just stepped out into the street suddenly from behind an obstruction and her sister was crushed to death but that person supposedly had no intent to run her over then the driver shouldn't be charged for manslaughter? Is she really saying that if you break the law, but have no intention to break the law then you shouldn't be charged? Should we all just decide not to read any laws in the future so we can just do whatever we want and then claim ignorance?

well shi compromised 'cross the board! what is har weakness? good looking black man? aubyn hill vs roger clarke? kern spencer vs colin campbell? unnuh si a trend?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Hahahahahahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        well shi compromised 'cross the board! what is har weakness? good looking black man? aubyn hill vs roger clarke? kern spencer vs colin campbell? unnuh si a trend?
        You think is joke!

Just because she may be compromised doesn't mean she is compromised to only one side in our phony JLPNP "divide". The JLPNP had common origins (the JLP being formed by an ex-PNP member and appropriating the trade union previously affiliated with the PNP) and are now essentially two sides of the same party - it is just that one is packed with thieves (the PNP) and the other with drug-dealers (the JLP).

Think about though. What has happened with this DPP:

- a man violates an act passed by parliament (in the DPP's own words) and the DPP basically says "well he didn't intend to violate it, so we won't prosecute him". Never mind the Dutch money, if the man violated a law and there were sanctions for such a violation then he should be prosecuted (it's as if they forgot that Al Capone wasn't convicted and put away for his well known crimes of murder and smuggling, but for the crimes of tax evasion for which there was overwhelming evidence).

- a man and his co-conspirators are accused of fraud on a massive scale concerning light bulbs from Cuba and due to the (intentional?) bungling of the DPP, the defence amazingly turns the case on it's head and leaves the DPP looking more incompetent than she possibly could have if she had taken on the cases below (or could she possibly look more incompetent still?) and gives an aura of corruption about the DPP's office.

- three men stretch the bounds of probability and independently make the same "silly mistake" that one should never make given the length of time they have been in business and should have been aware of the difference between certain business terms. None of the men seem to even pick-up on or correct said "independent mistakes" until the OCG writes them and warns of consequences and the DPP decides that there isn't enough evidence for perjury. Really? She must have not dealt with people (or children in particular) for 99% of her life. If those circumstances don't indicate a conspiracy to lie, then those 3 men should have entered the Super Lotto because they had a greater chance (each) of winning nearly half a billion Jamaican dollars than committing the same mistake. Had 1 or 2 of them made the "mistake" then it would have looked like a mistake, but not when all 3 of them make it.

If the DPP had any sense and integrity the following MPs would have been charged and either fined or imprisoned:

Daryl Vaz - charged by the Portland police with breaches of the Public Order and Jamaica Constabulary Force acts.

James Robertson - charged with obstructing the police and using abusive and calumnious language. He apologised in court to the police and was admonished and discharged [but he should have been imprisoned].

Kern Spencer - charged for fraud for his alleged role in the Cuban light-bulb scandal. Should have been convicted and imprisoned but may end up walking free.

Colin Campbell - should have been charged for obstructing the OCG and given whatever penalties come with conviction of such a charge.

Christopher Tufton - should have been charged with perjury and given whatever penalties come with conviction of such a charge.

Roger Clarke - should be charged with causing death by dangerous driving and given whatever penalties come with conviction of such a charge.
        Last edited by ReggaeMike; October 13, 2010, 11:39 AM.

Comment

ReggaeMike, you make EXCELLENT POINTS!

The DPP appears to be one steeped in academia and pedagogy. Not sure about her court rooms skills!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

she has good courtroom skills. i don't think that is really in doubt. her DECISIONS whether or not to prosecute...that is another matter.

ugly people like me and mosiah woulda get perseCUTEd within an inch of our lives...well more mosiah dan me ... BUT... the point is there to be made!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              ReggaeMike, you make EXCELLENT POINTS!

The DPP appears to be one steeped in academia and pedagogy. Not sure about her court rooms skills!
              Actually I don't think she paid much attention in school (any school - from primary school go right up). It's not possible for one who is actually steeped in academia with relation to law to spout such foolishness on a regular basis. Real academics know what they are talking about; she doesn't. She's only making up excuses to cover her increasingly obvious incompetence and inability to prosecute clear-cut cases.

On another note I still can't believe the jackass who was on tele saying that the way the OCG and Auditor-General publish reports on their websites after tabling them in parliament "may not be the best way" because it might scare off those who they would need to work with in order to reduce corruption and graft. What crap. All he was really saying is that he would like MPs to change the law so that those two offices are muzzled. If a person genuinely isn't corrupt then their name will be cleared in court. Heck even if a person is corrupt their name may still be cleared in court as Mr. Spencer has shown us.

Comment

she has good courtroom skills. i don't think that is really in doubt. her DECISIONS whether or not to prosecute...that is another matter.

ugly people like me and mosiah woulda get perseCUTEd within an inch of our lives...well more mosiah dan me ... BUT... the point is there to be made!
                I'm falling from my chair wid laughter
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

I agree!

WHAT?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

shoulda bru...why look at the time!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

she has good courtroom skills.

Gamma, easy wid di jokes!

She might have good courtroom manners, but good court room skills she has not. Otherwise she wouldn't have put herself in the situation where she had to find herself lying to the court about whether or not she met Kern Spencer's co-conspirator before he (the co-conspirator) provided a statement to investigators and turned into Crown witness. I'm wondering now if perhaps she could be charged for perjury herself....maybe that's another reason why she can't or won't pursue the Aubyn Hill case.

i don't think that is really in doubt. her DECISIONS whether or not to prosecute...that is another matter.

Actually the more I think about it, the more it seems likely that you two would get off (even if initially prosecuted) provided you just didn't kill anybody. Of all the prominent cases before her the only one she is going to prosecute and has a low chance of bungling is Roger Clarke's case.

Comment

I feel embarrassed for her. That's all I am going to sy about that.

Comment

i think with the meeting with the co-conspirator YES it was stupid to lie about it because in truth, if she meets with him with his lawyer because he has decided to become a witness for the prosection there is nothing wrong with that. if he has a lawyer it would be STUPID to allow him to meet with her even on that premise, without his lawyer present. she probably thought it would not have been an issue, but the fact that it appears that she tried to hide has transformed what would have otherwise been an innoucuous observation into something bigger.

from the years when i practiced in JA and saw her in action...yes...she had skills. hugh wildman now...that is a WHOLE EDDA 'tory!

Comment

from the years when i practiced in JA and saw her in action...yes...she had skills. hugh wildman now...that is a WHOLE EDDA 'tory!
                            but how were her courtroom skills, gamma?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

oh..dat!

Comment

Working...
                              X