X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is reggae dying a slow death?

Is reggae dying a slow death?

Davina Hamiltonr

CLOSING: Body MusicThe upcoming closure of north London record shop Every Bodies Music suggests that reggae music is suffering a serious decline
    ONCE A popular music genre, particularly during the late 1960s and 70s when it found favour amongst the white working class, reggae music has seen a rapid decline in popularity in Britain.
    The upcoming closure of record shop Every Bodies Music (formerly known as Body Music) - the famed store in Tottenham, north London, best known for its extensive collection of reggae music - has sparked concern amongst reggae enthusiasts, while the decline in the music's sales is further indication that the genre which began in Jamaica is suffering.
    "Satellite television and Internet communication has had a dramatic effect on the type of music that's being made in Jamaica," says veteran reggae DJ David Rodigan. "Producers out there are hearing music from America and thinking that they can create the next Usher or Ne-Yo record. As a result, very little reggae is being made by young producers in Jamaica.
    "There's also no longer any reggae industry the way there was before, in terms of CD manufacturing and 12-inch singles; all that is more or less gone. Dynamic Studios [in Jamaica] was one of the biggest reggae distributors and they closed down. I heard they even melted all the vinyl they had in their storerooms.
    “Record sales are really poor and record shops are finding it hard to survive as a result. [Former west London record shop] Dub Vendor is now a café at the front and a small record store at the back.
    “We’re now at the point where some artists are releasing their music for free. Tanya Stevens put her last album out on the Internet, and it was available via [German magazine] Riddim as a free supplement.”
    Fitzroy Sterling, director of Every Bodies Music confirms that poor sales have contributed to the store’s forthcoming closure.
    “We have seen a steady decline in sales over the last five years and it’s at rock bottom at the present moment,” he says. “With new technology, the younger kids can download the music they want and the older folks have got enough music already. As a result, people just aren’t buying music. That’s what’s led to the current situation with the store, though we won’t be closing for now.”
    Reggae journalist John Masouri says that the sales figures for recent reggae releases make “grim reading.”
    “The last SoundScan figures I saw were for July/August. Damian Marley and Nas [with their collaborative album Distant Relatives] were way out front with around 120,000 sales, while Busy Signal sold just 400 copies of his last CD and Gyptian sold12,000 – and that was with help from a US Billboard hit.”
    Emerging British reggae artist Solomon, son of Aswad star Drummie Zeb, feels the genre needs to evolve.
    “I think people feel that in order for reggae to be authentic, it needs to sound like it was made at Studio One 20 years ago,” he says. “I think that’s rubbish. Hip hop has changed, r’n’b has changed, and even dancehall has changed, but reggae, to me, is stuck in this old sound. I think that’s part of reggae’s problem – it’s not evolving.”
    But while the statistics might not look promising, some feel the music is more popular than ever. Reggae star Damian Marley says: “Traditionally, reggae music isn’t a music that sells a lot of copies in terms of CDs, but live shows have been the source for most reggae artists’ revenue. And now that the music industry in general is going back to that live music element, it’s a great time for reggae because we already have a head start.”
    Journalist Chris Salewicz agrees. The acclaimed author of Bob Marley: The Untold Story and last year’s Keep on Running: The Story of Island Records feels that reggae is in a good place.
    “What is interesting is that although reggae shops may be closing in the UK and Europe, reggae has never been more popular. A few weeks ago I went to the Rototom reggae festival near Valencia, a phenomenal event that had over 130,000 people attend over the course of eight days. Sometimes I feel that because reggae first broke out in the UK, people here have become tired and blasé about it.
    “However, reggae rhythms and dub effects are omnipresent in other artists' tunes, and in TV and radio ads. I think reggae has become so much of the mainstream in the UK that we hardly notice its existence.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

It is hard for a independent producer right now. We use to let go a tune and go to 12inch vynl and music insider would buy it and play it so you get a little return on it and can spend on the promotion if it got popular but without the vynl market nuff little producer have to either go straight to digital or take a break.

First time you coulda walk to record stores on every corner and let off a few tracks but not so anymore. All a the independent record store closing or sold out including Body Music, Greensleaves, Mr.Palmer who were the most competitive in England. Right now it is like VP seems like the only major player in the business right now and that is not very good.

Right now if a man have a little project he has to think how to let it out and make some money despite the bootlegger and unauthorised downloads.

Reggae is still alive and well but there is not a lot of channel and promotion been pushed behind it. Not a lot artists are putting the effort behind it and the kind of energy that was put in it in the 70 and 80 to get the kind of sound and creativty is lacking. However the market is bigger than before and you see mainstream acts such as No doubt, Jasmine Sullivan and others taking advantage. One real reggae hit and things wake up.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

reggae is alive and well. Sales of music in every genre is down. The music is still loved all over the world.

Comment

Reggae is HUGE in France...Old school reggae, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          The market is bigger than before and you see mainstream acts such as No doubt, Jasmine Sullivan and others taking advantage. One real reggae hit and things wake up.
          how about the rap hit song, Billionaire. that was done on a reggae beat too.

the fact is, "others" have always dropped a reggae chune from time to time, some better than others. indeed, maybe that used to happen more in the past than now, but still, reggae music will be here for a long time.

but i suspect next year the question will be asked again.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

True, but think its fair to say that its best days seem to be behind it.

The average age of the reggae artistes, the lack of emerging stars, among other things, suggests that it has stagnated.

This is nothing unique to reggae music of course, very few music forms continue on unchanged generation after generation.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Live concerts will continue to be popular in the US/Europe/Japan for reggae artists. The free mixed riddims offered online by DJs & online piracy will continue to have a negative impact on music sales.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

True, it's rumoured death is no different from the death of many music forms.

Young artistes still do quite a bit of reggae, I think, but it is more fashionable to style it as dancehall. Unless we want to hear tracks that sound almost exactly as some done Bob or Steel Pulse, then...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

reggae / dancehall is bigger and more popular than ever... if they want to judge the music based on record sales then every music genre is dying... record sales are down across the entire music industry... the music has evolved and those that sells the music just could not figure a way to capitalize in the digital era... thats not the fault of the artists...
                  'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

"capitalize in the digital era.." capitalise in the digital era not easy at all as it is mostly small recording labels who can't follow or contest copyright cases. Hopefully the industry will figure a way but bwoy it hard.

I call a few brethren from time to time and they really don't want to invest much in recording these days at all.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

they were always an overpaid bunch.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X