X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistrial declared- Buju to be retried by Babylon

Update : Mistrial for Buju
    2010-09-27 14:57:14

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — TAMPA, Florida (AP) — A Florida judge on Monday declared a mistrial for the Jamaican reggae star Buju Banton, who was accused of conspiring to buy cocaine from an undercover police officer last year.

Judge James Moody declared a mistrial after the 12-person jury sent him a second note on Monday saying they couldn't reach a verdict. They had been deliberating since Thursday, after a four-day trial.

Banton's attorney has asked Moody to release Banton on bond. He has been held without bond since his December arrest in South Florida.

Banton, a four-time Grammy nominee, had been charged with conspiracy to possess and distribute cocaine and aiding two others in possessing a firearm during the course of cocaine distribution. He faced up to life in prison.

The 37-year-old singer, whose real name is Mark Myrie, testified that he talked a lot about cocaine with a U.S. government informant, but he was only trying to impress the man, who claimed to have music industry connections, and not secure a drug deal.

The informant, Alexander Johnson, testified that Banton admitted involvement in drug trafficking, and he wanted to give Johnson money so he could buy and sell cocaine.

Their recorded conversations from July 2009 through December were played for the jury.

Banton said he never wanted nor expected Johnson to set up a cocaine deal, despite what he said in the recordings. The singer had told Johnson that he financed drug deals, wanted to sell drugs in Europe, buy drugs from the Caribbean and South America and use Johnson's boat to transport drugs.

Banton said he was surprised when the informant presented him with cocaine at an undercover police warehouse in Sarasota on Dec. 8. Surveillance video shows Banton peering over co-defendant Ian Thomas' shoulder at the cocaine, and the singer tasting the drugs with a finger.

On Dec. 10, Thomas and another co-defendant, James Mack, were arrested at the warehouse after trying to buy the drugs. Banton was not present and was arrested at his Miami-area home.

Thomas and Mack pleaded guilty, and each faces up to life in prison. Neither testified in the trial that began Monday in Tampa federal court.

Related Stories -
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

A splendid opportunity for Marcus to do things different as he alluded to when he says he has the next one in the bag(oh that glimse in the prosecution case).
    Finally he is going to apply for bail, why not from the get go?

Blessed

Comment

A-wonder how much money Buju will have (left) after all this is done?

A-wonder what % of his income is gained from tours?

Seems that if he was set-up...it did not take much effort to do so.

Got to respect the Babbylon system of justice. Dem dough play. Jamaica needs to adopt a similar system........................... (no?)
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Not a good example of US Justice here.

Comment

Because his visa was revoked...if he applied for bail and was successful Buju would be sitting in Chrome Detention Center now...

Comment

H.L

Have left? nuh worry bout Buju, the ultimate P.R move b**** boy babylon lock im down and record a guh bu$$$$......$$$$$ellllllllllofffff!

Wait till dem free im $et fi life .That conspiracy will be milked to the annoyance of the agenda.Mek sure yuh get your copy.
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I have one Buju CD. Think it's called Shiloh (or something to that effect).

Have heard and listened to other Buju pieces. Nothing (in my opinion) has reached the quality of the Shiloh CD.

It's such a darn pity that the six figure attorney fee that is wasted on a preventable case like this...das the point i am making.

Hope you are right on marketing him on his acquital.
              Last edited by HL; September 28, 2010, 12:06 PM.

HL

Comment

Is ongly one Agenda mi ah wandah bout.. probably has its roots in some religious conspiracy.. of which there are many...

Comment

I would not be surprised if he is broke or near broke. He hasn't shown himself to be a very smart person at all.

I hope he will have the opportunity to tour other countries after he is deported (assuming he isn't sent away for a long time)
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Get MR MENTION & TOO BAD...but mi nuh tink yuh like dancehall suh yuh might not like them...

Comment

Yeah I give those CDs good ratings. After Till Shiloh I would add Inna Heights as two of my fav Buju CDs.
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

suh him visa nuh still revoked?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Das is simply my point Islandman.

These artists fail to understand the term Entertainment Business.

I read on this site where a few of these artists are behind in taxes; and their personal properties are being confiscated by the government.

Seems like very few of these guys understand the need for a CPA.....................

Look at Xs' main man...Onandi Lowe. I am sure he spent (maybe) half of his net worth on attorney fees. how is he doin' X?

Thanks.

HL

Comment

Apparently dem wasn't taking no talk before the trial...look like it would amount to undue hardship to keep the man in prison till the new trial now...

Comment

so they will grant him a visa but tek him passport? kinda curious to see how that would pan out.

i was wrong there doesn't seem to be a limit on the retrials but 2/3 seems to be the going rate. i will research it a bit more, because there must be an element of unconstitutionality there. it must have come before the us supreme court before.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X