anyone here say the 1956 film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here say the 1956 film

moby dick with gregory peck (i know it sounds like an adult film but...). there is a scene in there where they are singing "hill and gully rider"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Gamma loved this point you raised, had to track it down, here is what I found, can't really substantiate it any more that what you see here.

Apparently Mr. Edric was a Trini!??

The story of how Edric Connor, in the role of Daggoo, introduced the song into the film of Moby Dick is quoted from an interview with his widow Pearl Connor Mogotsi in the book Black in the British Frame by Stephen Bourne:-

'Hill and Gully Rider' is about the undulating land in Jamaica, but it was the undulating sea of Moby Dick, the ocean where they were looking for the whale, where Edric introduced the song. And it is a lyrical, lilting song, a beautiful thing that the director John Huston loved straight away. And Edric was always trying to do that, introduce Caribbean music into the films he worked on, and letting people know about our songs. So Huston allowed him to have an input, which was very good for Edric, and good for the film, also, I should think.

Comment

One of my favs , Capt ahab.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The song used in the film spoke of the ups and downs the trials and tribulations of men hunting , in true Jamaican workmanship the work was hard, fun and of love , because it took a special breed to hunt a whale that they new would bring them death, this they new and loved it and pursued it dilligently to the end, something Jamaican about that , hard work, fun ,love and certain death.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
        X