Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buju Trial

Hung jury

yeah I know. They may try it again. If not he will be deported immediately as they have already taken his visa.

I have a mouthful to say but I wait to see if they will try the case again.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mistrial declared in drug conspiracy case against reggae

Mistrial declared in drug conspiracy case against reggae star Buju Banton

By Nicole Hutcheson, Times Staff Writer
      Posted: Sep 27, 2010 03:38 PM

TAMPA — A mistrial was declared Monday afternoon in the drug trial of reggae star Buju Banton. Jurors informed the judge today that after three days of deliberations they are split.

"We are still split on a decision and after reviewing evidence, nobody has changed their minds from our original vote on Thursday," said a note delivered to the judge from the jurors.

U.S. District Judge James Moody implored jurors to continue working on a verdict.

Banton, whose real name is Mark Myrie, has been held in jail since December on drug conspiracy charges.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

News

Hung jury in Buju trial
        BY PAUL HENRY Observer reporter henryp@jamaicaobserver.com

Monday, September 27, 2010

TAMPA, Florida — The jurors in the Buju Banton trial have just told US Judge Jim Moody that they have failed to come to a unanimous decision despite almost three days of deliberations.
        A new trial date is to be set and will be announced today.
        Banton's lawyer David Markus has applied for bail for his client and the judge is expected to address the application later today.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

New trial date to be announced. Dem nah mek him walk away from this at all.

Rhatid.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

ews

Buju to get December trial date
            Bail application to be heard tomorrow
            BY PAUL HENRY Observer reporter henryp@jamaicaobserver.com

Monday, September 27, 2010

TAMPA, Florida — Reggae star Buju Banton will have to wait until December to know his fate.
            United States Judge Tim Moody announced that a new trial will begin in December.

Banton's attorney David Markus made an application for bail for his client and was told that the court would hear the application tomorrow.
            Banton seemed relieved when the announcement of a new trial date was made.
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

too much is at stake for both sides!

quick question, who does the new trial favour in this case, the prosecution or the defence? i wonder what david rowe has to say....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I'm not sure if there is any clear advantage in a new trial, unless some other evidence turns up that we don't know about yet.

I was wondering though, if they offer Buju the 2 year plea deal again, including time already served, would he take it?
                Would be tempting regardless of wether he believes he is innocent or not.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                  I'm not sure if there is any clear advantage in a new trial, unless some other evidence turns up that we don't know about yet.

I was wondering though, if they offer Buju the 2 year plea deal again, including time already served, would he take it?
                  Would be tempting regardless of wether he believes he is innocent or not.
                  no island man , the defence team a duh di right ting . Fight the case ,
                  buju banton was clearly set up if im tek di plea dem aguh dip him . No!
                  Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                  United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                  happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                  Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Dem going to dip him whatever the outcome. Them mek that clear already.

Ultimately the decision is Bujus though, not the defense team. That is, if they even make the offer again.

Comment

quick answer... both...

both sides are privy to the strategies employed first time around... both sides will have had time to re-assess the strength of their cases and make better presentations...
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                        Dem going to dip him whatever the outcome. Them mek that clear already.

Ultimately the decision is Bujus though, not the defense team. That is, if they even make the offer again.

Buju and him legal team ah duh di right ting , another hang jury and di
                        prosecutors dem affi leggo di case .
                        Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                        United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                        happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                        Probably forthcoming...

Comment

this iz a real high stakes game... except iz not ongle money iz life involve... nerves of steel required especially by buju and him legal team...

easy for me to say, but i would go for the retrial and go harder with the entrapment defense... develop a motive for entrapment... go harder at the informant... not sure i would put buju back on the stand... try to get the two other co-defendants to cooperate with the defense...

i cannot see 12 jurors unanimously against the defense in this case...
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

yea you said it right. I am wondering what would have happen if the two other players testify inna another trial.

If them offer him two years the banton may want to continue it hard. The defense may use the hung jury to bargin.

It is interesting still as Buju case parrellel the former Illinois governor's in many ways and same result. interesting.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You asking for a lot " try to get the two other co-defendants to cooperate with the defense... " what do you have to offer?

The prosecutor have more to offer to these other parties involved. It is high stakes because Buju don't really have any witness for himself but the defense should cast a wide net and find out more from this informat as to motives and why Buju.

Comment

Working...
                              X