outside an acquittal... the next best thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outside an acquittal... the next best thing

for buju would be a hung jury... question, in the case of a hung jury and the co-defendants were sentenced before a retrial, assuming that the prosecutor decided on a retrial, could the co- defendants testify on buju's behalf since they would have already gotten their plea deal...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

My official take on the issue..

The Jury is expected to come to a decision on Buju Banton's fate today after deliberating over nine hours between Thursday and Friday last week.

If I may get my two cents worth in here however, regardless of the outcome of the jury of his peers (??) I am very disappointed in Buju's behavior and regardless of his motives he was too damn familiar with cocaine and its 'field testing' procedures.

Buju is one of a handful of reggae artistes who I really do enjoy his music and his message, along with Luciano who is also now facing his own legal woes.

One of the things I loved about Buju's music was the repeated inferences and quotations of sections of the Bible including the Old Testament and it told me that he was not just a reader of the World but that he also understood the message in the Word, despite the fact he spoke of Rastafari, to me a seed had been planted and that was enough.

Then for him to be tasting cocaine in a Florida warehouse was such a massive let down.

I dont care what his motives are we all know how this drug destroys lives and families and how it is spread among teenagers and other susceptible groups.

I dont care why he allowed himself to be drawn in to this conspiracy, his actions say he was complicit in the distribution of the drug and that is enough for me to say he should serve some prison time.

I dont want to get off on a rant here...he he he...but if this was a real drug sale some of this drug could end up right back here in Jamaica, in our poorer sections of society and even in our schools.

So even if the Jury send him home today for me he stands convicted.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

i'm disappointed in him too BUT the prosecution's case is suspect. should he go to jail because we are disappointed in him? not in my book. he should be imprisoned because he broke the laws as set out by the government.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The prosecutor had offered Buju a two year sentence prior to the start of the trial, and this gave the impression that the case was not as strong as initially perceived. I doubt the co-defendants will be sentenced prior to any verdict in the case. The prosecutor will ensure their sentencing is delayed until the Gov't gets their pound of flesh.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
          If I may get my two cents worth in here however, regardless of the outcome of the jury of his peers (??) I am very disappointed in Buju's behavior and regardless of his motives he was too damn familiar with cocaine and its 'field testing' procedures.

i am disappointed that buju is in this position... however, he has my sympathy because i see him as a victim of entrapment... no different than someone playing an april fool joke on the unsuspecting except that this is far more serious...

influencing and encouraging the unsuspecting to engage in illegal activities for the sole purpose of having that person convicted of a crime which they would not ordinarily have engaged in, hadn't it not been for the actions of the manipulator is morally wrong... no person should be incarcerated under those circumstances...

if a person is on the streets long enough and around some people, obtaining knowledge of contraband is fairly easy... field testing is routinely done by even law enforcement personnel... all you have to do is watch television...

buju's real mistake is chatting tuh much fi impress...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
          X