It's intresting to note that; whilst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's intresting to note that; whilst

some intellectuals on the board are clamouring for the Jakan dialect to be an official language other countries are jumping to learn english and make it a global language. Maybe it's just an exercise of the ego on the Jakans part. The book The English is coming will enlighten readers on what's going on around the world. Example: the word hello is known to every language on the planet. Chinna has more people speaking English than those of the USA (this only shows that JA has been tricked. I really wonder who the Jakans will teach English in china?). A good read. I would like to hear from the patios advocates. Gamma, My youte et al? Thanks.

Gee, Chinese will be extinct.
    I am not making an argument for Patois to be our first language, mine is it too should be respected and never ashamed of,It should not only be appreciated when a Luis Bennett used it or when we Jakans abroad meet up and proudly proclaim our nationality(perhaps after Bolt sets a record)....
    The very fact we all spell words in patois differently means it should be formalized and taught.

Blessed

Comment

Other nations are learning english because of trade, commerce and the fact that it's now the language of diplomacy (not french anymore , see book) What's the objective of making patios official? Thanks.

Comment

have you EVER seen me write anywhere that patois should be our official language or that we should stop teaching english?

you are either being intentionally dishonest or stupid beyond belief!!!!

i have advocated for it to be standardised and taught in schools. if you cannot appreciate the difference between that and the drivel you have posted above, no need to involve me. thanks in advance.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sounds like you want English to be the only language, and you are unaware it is our first language.
          Our Patwah is unique to Jakans, we speak it!
          It has perpetual life, why make it official(see reason,despite it in't in a book form, stated in my initial post)?

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
            Other nations are learning english because of trade, commerce and the fact that it's now the language of diplomacy (not french anymore , see book) What's the objective of making patios official? Thanks.
            Jawge: It appears you are saying patios or English?
            If so, I am not with you on that.
            It is both...and more! ...more than that - It must be both and more!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Wait...waz up King Jawge!?

(before you continue please make sure you read this with an Amerkahn twang. Thanks)

You are making some excellent points.

Patois is not going anywhere. It will be spoken in Jamaica till 'thine kingdom come...".

Time wasting is a luxury that very poor countries like Jamaica cannot afford. Formalizing the language is an absolute waste of time. (Imagine this: a class room exercises in patois dealing with conjugation ).

I am taken aback when I learned that local Jamaican engineers cannot build roads --after some many miles have been constructed.

I also recall simple tasks like the re-soding of the football pitch at the National Stadium... was done by a company from another country!!!!

Last: there are some massive EGOs that stand in the way of progress Jawge. This forum has it's fair share. These EGOs view everything through the "Jamaican Universe".

Jawge, at times you must stand aside and enjoy the display. Don't believe me........................?
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Okay, my apologies for misinterpreting you. Pray tell: when patois is standardiseda nd being taught in school, won't the same people who are now struggling with standardised english, struggle with the standardised patois? If yes then what's the objective of teaching patois (want to be clear and not misinterpret again)? Thanks.

Comment

Here as usual. Yes my point is why fomalize the dialect because you feel like. There must be a clear cut objective (in the interest of the nation). At present I'm still waiting to hear what is the objective of the proposed formaization.

See my post (in the Chin JDIP) on Jakan engineers but let me add, that JA's colonial mentality does not help in this situation either. Why? Jakan engineers living in the US would not get the contracts either (because they possibly did not attent certain high school and was born in a certain part of the island and a host of other petty issues).

I don't have the facts but you may be correct that Ja just don't have the expertise to build quality highways. This is hard to imagaine when one can harness computing power via clustering coupled with the existence of CAST.

Comment

Patois is not going anywhere. It will be spoken in Jamaica till 'thine kingdom come...".

Mi head really a hurt me!
                    Yuh know how much time me si patois inna yuh post(posts I appreciate),you take great care guessing the spelling of those words but what if some are spelt differently by others, isn't word recognition necessary in any language?
                    Remember now, you WROTE those posts...

NB,mi edit de post ONLY to try a guess the best way fi spell see inna patois, first I had "sey"den mi change it to "si", si all dem tings deh?

Blessed
                    Last edited by Rockman; September 26, 2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Yuh nevah hear mi ah advocate fi di dialect fi become official language yet. Still, wi run from it kah wi tink seh it ah guh mek wi look unintelligent an fool fool an ah ongle ghetto people use it weh nuh know bettah. Man eben tes mi yah suh wid di said insinuation, but dem foolah dan mi, kah is jus a communication medium; an mi nuh "shame" ah it neighdah. Mi wouldah love dem teach it yes, kah when yuh can transpose yuh self from one to di odah inna di written form dat show intelligence abound, if yuh understan mi. Who tink seh dem haffi use di English language fi validate dem telligency dat ah how dem seeit, mi look pan di ting diffran. Mi ongle use written/spoken English when neccessary odah wise mi jus leggo di ting.

Comment

him have a penchant fi tell lie...a good while now mi a notice it. fools mi wi suffah..a liyad now is a diffran sinting.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Right!!

Comment

You won't get an answer here King Jawge. Some folks just like to hear the sound of their own voices...and to attract attention. You have been posting on this site long enough to know this.

So Jawge, can you imagine spellin' B in patois [after it is standardized.....]... .

The first books to be translated into patois should be the Jamaican law books .
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                            X