• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the PNP got massive turnout

Why the PNP got massive turnout

Friday, September 24, 2010

var addthis_pub="jamaicaobserver";

Dear Editor,
    PNP president Portia Simpson Miller and other officers in leadership positions must have been overjoyed at the massive turnout at the party's 72nd Annual Conference last weekend.

What was so surprising about this massive crowd was that it exceeded the expectation and imagination of not only the leadership, but also of most Jamaicans who viewed the conference personally or on television.

Second, what was significant and also noteworthy about the crowd was that about 70 per cent of those who were in attendance were between 18 and 45 years old, which means that it is the younger supporters of the PNP who are more energised to vote for the party as soon as an election is called.

The big question on everybody's mind is, what could have led to this show of strength in support of the PNP, just three years after the JLP formed the government?

There are many contributing factors, which include harder times due to higher cost of living, the over 80,000 people who lost their jobs, along with the government's inability to pay the police and teachers money owed to them. But I believe the main reason was the matter surrounding the Tivoli incursions that left over 70 Jamaicans dead and police stations and the Coronation Market severely damaged. This upset most Jamaicans who believed that a PNP government would not have allowed all this to happen.
    Benny White

Rio Grande Valley

Portland
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

weird article. i don't really follow the reasoning still.

not sure why or how TG would affect this turnout, TG was supposed to be a jlp enclave so ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Tivoli highlights JLP corruption & ineptitude
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

ok..i suppose. corruption and ineptitude would be a bit more highlighted by the mp&p thing rather than the incursion itself i would say.

if anything the incursion is turning out to be a good thing for TG, despite the loss of 70+ lives which to date we are not quite sure who was responsible, the security forces or the criminal elements.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Benny White is the labourite councillor turn mayor and the labourite booted him and him join with the PNP and run as PNP and lost.

Just giving you a background.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

nuh really relevant to mi, cause either way it nuh mek sense to mi.

Comment

some people are perturbed that if he would risk going right down to the wire, then flip, , and are looking into the soul of the man

Comment

Working...
              X