• Show
Clear All

• Buju latest

Buju says he’s nervous, scared
    Stephen Marley says artiste is no drug dealer
    By PAUL HENRY, Observer staff reporter, henryp@jamaicaobserver.com

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

var addthis_pub="jamaicaobserver";

TAMPA, Florida — Reggae star Buju Banton denied being a drug dealer when he took the stand during his drug trial in the Gibbons US Court here this afternoon.
    Banton said he was “talking crap” during the conversation with Alexander Johnson, the prosecution's main witness on the plane, and that the incident has caused him and his family indescribable pain.
    Banton, whose real name is Mark Myrie, was called to the stand about 2:45 pm Florida time by his attorney David Oscar Markus.
    “I was just talking crap. I’m not a drug dealer,” Banton admitted.
    He said that he did not want to be outtalked by Johnson, and said Johnson seemed to be a nice person who he liked hanging out with.
    Banton admitted also that he had made a false move by sampling cocaine in a warehouse in Tampa. He said he was unaware that he was going to see cocaine as Johnson told him that he was going to inspect a boat.
    He said he was fascinated with boats and was very surprised when he saw cocaine.
    Banton apologised profusely and when asked by his attorney how he felt, the artiste said, “I am nervous and scared and I have been waiting for 10 months…” before he was interrupted by lead prosecutor Jim Preston who objected to the line of questioning.
    Presiding judge Jim Moody sustained the objection.
    Under cross examination Preston, who asked Banton if he had thanked Johnson for “making him himself again”, Banton said, “I would not risk my career which I have been working to build for 20 years for five kilos of cocaine.”
    Banton said he was thanking Johnson who he thought could hook him up with a record deal and not a cocaine deal, as his record deal with his former company Tommy Boy Records had expired in 2009.
    Meanwhile, Stephen Marley, son of Reggae king Bob Marley, also testified on Banton’s behalf, saying he has known him for over 10 years and never knew him to be a drug dealer.
    Banton was arrested at his home at Tamarac, South Florida hours after his former co-accused Ian Thomas and James Mack, were arrested during an alleged drug bust in an undercover operation at a warehouse in Sarasota, Florida in December last year.
    All three were charged with conspiracy to possess more than five kilogrammes of cocaine with intent to distribute, while Mack was charged with possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offence.
    The drug charge carries a minimum sentence of 20 years to life in addition to a fine of up to US$4 million, while the firearm charge carries a sentence of five years to life and a fine of up to US$250,000.
    Both Mack and Thomas, in their plea deals, have agreed to give evidence to assist the US Government in building a case against Banton, in exchange for lesser sentences.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

The prosecution doesnt have a case but of hear say ,albeit from Bantons own mouth but the question needs to be asked how can one finance a drug deal without his own proceeds? Was he going to borrow the money from Thomas and Mack ?

These guys from atlanta Ike and Tyke (I think ) why arent they prosecuted arent they the source of the funding of the deal ?

The prosecution has to show proof of intent by an action , running your lip does not constitutute this or tasting cocaine does not qualify for proof of purchase of the drug !

They have to show proceeds to purchase and the exchange of goods , nothing like that took place except a show of drugs , the tasting of and the running of the mouth.

In other words he is guilty of a misdemeanor being a (crackhead) a heavy cross to carry and he can do it.

Free Buju banton.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Ahm, the charge is CONSPIRACY to posses with INTENT to distribute. They dont have to show proceeds of a deal that went down.

When someone is charged with CONSPIRACY to commit murder does the victim have to have been killed? Of course not.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

True but to posses dont you have to purchase it or source it ? and to distribute to whom? If it is to posses it or source it , then the question is how and by whom ? isnt that the crux of the conspiracy how and by whom ?

No admission of financing it by Buju or by the prosecution,The source has struck a plea deal and they have questionable informing sheets.2nd everytime the talk of drug dealing pops up , its started by the informer.

Conspiracy on the part of the DEA!
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I agree the case is not an air-tight one. He has a chance to beat it but who knows what kind of jury he has. They might just decide that this Jamaican dreadlocks looks like a criminal and thats enough for them. We will see.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

i concur. supported by another dreadlocks, the son of an internationally known ganja smoker.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

saw this in the observer report....Johnson said yesterday that his work with the Government was his only source of income. He is paid by the number of arrests he is able to secure

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Number of arrests, regardless of wether the charges stand up? I wonder.

Sounds very much like paying people commission to sell financial products to people regardless of how horrible they turn out to be.

Comment

Buju should walk. Whether he deserves to is another thing!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

like adams?!

Comment

no! adams should be in prison! straight!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X