No announcement yet.

Was Buju going to see a boat not drugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Buju going to see a boat not drugs?

If Buju was charged with using cocaine then this case would be a slam dunk but now I understand why Buju's lawyer believes that he can beat the conspiracy charge.

Minor setback for Buju
    Defence witness refuses to testify
    By PAUL HENRY, Observer staff reporter, henryp@jamaicaobserver.com

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

var addthis_pub="jamaicaobserver";

TAMPA, Florida — The defence in the Buju Banton trial suffered a minor setback this morning when a possible witness pleaded the Fifth Amendment, deciding not to testify on behalf of the Jamaican singer.
    The defence had requested that James Mack, Buju's former co-accused, give evidence for him, but Mack, fearful that he might jeopardise his chances of getting a lighter sentence, opted not to.
    Mack was arrested in December 2009 the same day that Buju, whose given name is Mark Myrie, was arrested and slapped with cocaine charges.
    He recently copped a plead deal for a lighter sentence. Also arrested along with Mack in a sting operation was Ian Thomas, who also copped a plea deal. Both men will be sentenced in November.
    Reacting to the development, Buju's lawyer David Markus expressed some disappointment as he spoke with the Observer.
    "He would have helped," Markus said.
    Meanwhile, Markus continued his grilling of Alexander Johnson, the prosecution's main witness.
    Markus, with his line of questioning painted a picture of a man who was in financial debt and was pushing to entrap Buju because of the money he stood to earn from the case, if the entertainer was arrested.
    The court was told that Johnson was behind on his credit card bills, mortgage payment and owed the US government over $100,000 in taxes.
    Markus pointed out from transcripts of Johnson's recorded conversations with Buju, that he was the one constantly bringing up talks of drugs and that the entertainer was not interested.
    Johnson also said that he did not inform Buju that he was going to look at drugs on December 8 when the entertainer was caught on tape tasting the cocaine. He said the artiste was under the impression that he was going to see a sailboat he (Johnson) owned.
    Buju was arrested at his home at Tamarac, South Florida hours after his former co-accused Thomas and Mack, were arrested during an alleged drug bust in an undercover operation at a warehouse in Sarasota, Florida in December last year.
    All three were charged with conspiracy to possess more than five kilogrammes of cocaine with intent to distribute, while Mack was charged with possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offence.
    The drug charge carries a minimum sentence of 20 years to life in addition to a fine of up to US$4 million, while the firearm charge carries a sentence of five years to life and a fine of up to US$250,000.
    Both Mack and Thomas, in their plea deals, have agreed to give evidence to assist the US Government in building a case against Banton, in exchange for lesser sentences
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Weird that Babylon is using 2 accused who were apparently actively involved in drug dealing to catch a guy who via the testimony so far...they have no evidence of receiving benefits from trafficking, did not know he was going into a drug deal when taped and was not caught with drugs in his possession

Sumting nuh add up...but perhaps it does add up... to entrapment with an agenda and objective one can speculate about given the militant if misguided earlier history of the artist...
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

dem seh him neva finance it either....so..... buju's attorney might be allowed to address the jury on the fact that the man refused to testify on buju's behalf by pleading the 5th.

mi rusty on evidentiary issues in criminal cases, but i beleive the argument can be made so that an inference is drawn that see, he copped a plea deal AND did not want to testify for fear of incriminating himsel....i think there is something there that can be used.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Why is the cocaine even in evidence if the DEA asserts it has nothing to do with Buju?
        I guess what Ian has to say is what the prosecutor is relying on.
        Buju ill-advised rantings can't possibly be the case or he would be charged with diamond smuggling too...
        It is damning that Ian and Mac did not meet the confidential informant through the yellow pages but that is an entirely different charge.

Blessed

Comment

was he just ranting about the diamond smuggling? As Baddaz say him act like a "prento". In meeting this man in one hour you talk bout drugs trade? You to look on boat and him carry you go warehouse full a drugs and then you don't call him back? That mean you nuh really a think bout nothing. My biggest problem with the dread a the fact that him dip inna drugs.

He might be guilty but in my opinion this is nothing short of a setup bigtime.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Him look like really nuh have much sense though. Me nuh understand how a man with so many enemies trying to wreck you career can run him mouth like dat with people him nuh know.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

then again I flew with Buju a few years ago from Kingston, he was all over the lounge. I hail him up having met him through a third party before. He was sitting accross from me and talking with a bredda like him know him long time and they came off the plane at the same time still talking. Now thinking about it he may not have known the bredda either.

Some of our entertainers are like that. I remember Tiger performing after sunsplash and odering room service and within 15 minutes he was at the front desk first complaining but it seems like the real purpose was be flocked by workers and find out how his performance went down the night before.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

right!!

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                  Him look like really nuh have much sense though. Me nuh understand how a man with so many enemies trying to wreck you career can run him mouth like dat with people him nuh know.
                  Well if that's the case he should be charged with being a fool...and plead guilty.
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I think him confess to that charge already.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                    X