X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fathers needed!

Fathers needed!

Published: Wednesday | September 22, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Edmund Bartlett (second right), member of parliament for East Central St James, donated textbooks to the grade-four classes of six all-age schools in the constituency on Wednesday. The donation is part of the East Central St James Education Council's drive to improve the academic performance of grade-four students in preparation for the GSAT examinations. Pictured with the minister (from left) are: Carmen Ellis, principal of Lottery All-Age School; Natalie Reid-Newton, grade-four teacher at the school; Simeka Harley and Kenrick Kerr, two of the school's grade-four students. - Photo by Christopher Thomas

Hi neighbour! In this climate of diminishing financial power, the back-to-school preparation has been a very traumatic and painful experience for many parents and students. Still, some unemployed single parents have not yet purchased uniforms or books for their children who are so anxious to return to school. Can you help a student?
    Over the past few weeks, hundreds of calls and letters from desperate mothers and grandmothers in search of [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]back-to-school[/COLOR][/COLOR] supplies came into our office. In some instances, children called because their mother "can't afford to send all of us to school and we don't know where our father is". Those mothers have anywhere between four and six children attending school.
    Let's spend less time condemning these parents for the 'fruit of their labour' and try to save a child or two from the same pitfall by helping them to get an education.
    Many of these parents are aware of their legal obligation to school their offspring and are trying their best. But their best is just not good enough. Vending bag juice, a little snack here and there or doing day's work once per week cannot secure sufficient funds to feed and educate the little ones. That is the reality. I am told that some of these children attend school no more than two or three days per week or none at all for several months.
    Hustling
    Over the last three weeks, dozens of these little children have been seen in the various plazas selling trinkets or begging to help send themselves back to school. Some of them are dismissed, abused, misused or even used by cruel culprits in the process. The day of reckoning comes!
    Can anyone tell us where are many of the fathers at this time? Elsewhere producing more children which they have no intention of fathering?
    But really, though, what do some of these pregnancy facilitators think? Don't they realise that they have a responsibility as men to provide for these children whether or not they have a current intimate relationship with the mothers? Come on, men! Play your part in the life of your children, especially at this time of the year! It's back-to-school!
    As your neighbour, I encourage you to help the mothers send the children back to school. That must be a priority on your list of obligations! These children must get an education. To do so, they must go to school. School takes uniforms, books, lunch money, transportation, fees. Step up, gentlemen, step up to the plate the same way you stepped up at the young ladies' gate.
    Thanks to the thousands of caring neighbours and organisations which have come on-board to help many of our children with their back-to-school challenges. Because of their input, many children returned to school fully clad in their uniforms with books in bag and lunch money in their pockets. And I must pay special tribute to the dozens of neighbours who supported the back-to-school effort organised by this column.
    Several students received books, bags and uniforms. Sharon, it was a real stroke of generosity on your part when you decided to pay the school fee for little Nadgia, who started classes earlier this month. Thanks on behalf of the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]mother[/COLOR][/COLOR] who is unemployed and did not have the first cent to pay the fee. May you never lack.
    I am imploring all adults who have the resources to help with a child's education. Too many of our children are not attending [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]school[/COLOR][/COLOR] regularly because of the lack of resources on the part of the parents. There are many potential scientists, preachers, doctors, nurses and teachers who may never get an [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]education[/COLOR][/COLOR] or contribute to the development of society if neighbours don't help to offset these costs!
    From all appearances, these realities will not change any time soon. Fashion and entertainment, on which we spend so much time, energy and cash, are fleeting things which cannot build great nations. We suggest, therefore, that part of our entertainment and clothing budget be assigned to the education of our children.
    Any takers?
    Having read this article, please help us to realise our purpose by offering to assist one of those neighbours listed below. You will be better off for the deed of kindness.

THANKS TO THESE NEIGHBOURS
    Pauline, St Catherine, for donating three khaki uniforms to a neighbour.
    Ms Lloyd, St Andrew, for offering a brand new mattress to a needy neighbour.
    Opal, St Catherine, for offering an entertainment centre to a neighbour.
    Dahlia, St Catherine, for offering literature books to a neighbour's child.
    Ms Cooper, St Catherine, for offering a literature book for back-to-school.
    Ms Miller, St Catherine, for back-to-school books.
    Ms Graham, St Catherine, for offering clothing to needy neighbours.
    Ms Lodge, for offering clothing to newborn babe.
    Dianne, St Mary, for giving three pairs of pants and a size 9 shoes to a needy male.

OPPORTUNITIES TO HELP NEIGHBOURS
    Beverly, St Elizabeth: her daughter died, leaving her with five young [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]children[/COLOR][/COLOR] to care for. Asking neighbours for children's clothing for church, as well as back-to-school assistance.
    Mable, St Catherine, unemployed: asking neighbours for material to make sheets and curtains to assist children with back-to-school.
    Annmarie, St Catherine, student nurse: asking neighbours for textbooks, even to borrow for a year.
    Fitzroy, St James: paralysed from waist down; needs a wheelchair.
    Janet, Westmoreland, heart patient, mother of two girls, aged nine and 14: needs bags, shoes and uniforms.
    Marsha, Westmoreland: umemployed, needs clothing for four- and nine-year-old boys.
    Mr McDonald, St Catherine: asking for khaki uniforms and shoes - sizes 7 and 8 - to send boys back to school.
    Ms Pauline, St Catherine, 68 years old: denture got broken and needs to be replaced. She does a little farming and has half the amount - $10,000 - to replace it.
    Neighbour, St Andrew, single mother of two whose father migrated, but provides no help: asking for assistance.
    Neighbour, Manchester: her three-year-old daughter, Abigail, has a learning disability; can't afford to send her to school for special children.
    Ms Florence, asking for size 7 pair of shoes for boys.

To help, call 906-3167, 884-3866, 373-7745 or 299-3412; or email neighbourtoo@yahoo.com and we will make the link-up. Those who desire to help us with our financial obligations may make deposits to account 351 044 276 at the National Commercial Bank (bank-routing password JNCBJMKX); or send donations to Hello Neighbour, c/o 53 Half-Way Tree Road, Kingston 10.
    Hello Mi Neighbour is written by actor and charity activist Silton Townsend, better known as 'Maas Gussie'.

What about the mothers? The writer at the beginning says we shouldn't condemn the parents, but then goes on to criticise the absent fathers (quite rightly so). What about the mothers who have 4,5,6 children with as many men with not a penny to rub together? Is she not responsible for bringing forth life she cannot support? I get the impression that criticising mothers for anything in Jamaica is a "taboo", am I right?

Comment

miss london, after seeing the subject of your post i thought you were taking out a personal "want ad"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Not really a taboo but the fathers are easier targets because they are absent from thier childrens lives in a way that the mothers are generally not.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

that may still be true.

where do i send an application?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well, these women need to stop hatching children for every Dick, Tom & Harry, and then expect that John Public should be held RESPONSIBLE for their errors or past pleasures.

Why have a football or a basketball team, when you can ill afford to take care of yourself? They need to adopt the Slogan - ONE is ENOUGH!

I have no qualms in assisting from time to time, but when these women start hollering that the Govt. not helping them to feed and clothe them pickney - then I have nuff problems with that.

If the man didn't support child #1, why are you so damn stupid to believe he will support #2, #3 and on and on. They must understand that the man is a playa, and is probably fertilizing another v-a-g-i-n-a in another district or parish.

Get family planning man. Start doing like China and limit the population!
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

starts with education.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                starts with education.
                maybe them need to dabble with a likkle common sense
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  miss london, after seeing the subject of your post i thought you were taking out a personal "want ad"
                  LOL! Nope not reached that stage yet!

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                    If the man didn't support child #1, why are you so damn stupid to believe he will support #2, #3 and on and on.
                    You are assuming that it is the same man! But its not.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      Occasionally it is though, I know of a woman who had a child with a man, he did nothing to contribute to the child's upbringing and around 10 years later she had another child for him. Surprise suprise, he contributed nothing to the second child either. She was forced to ask my grandad and others to help her financially. Also if I man has x number of children with other women who he doesn't support, what makes them think he's going to support their child?

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                        Well, these women need to stop hatching children for every Dick, Tom & Harry, and then expect that John Public should be held RESPONSIBLE for their errors or past pleasures.

Why have a football or a basketball team, when you can ill afford to take care of yourself? They need to adopt the Slogan - ONE is ENOUGH!

I have no qualms in assisting from time to time, but when these women start hollering that the Govt. not helping them to feed and clothe them pickney - then I have nuff problems with that.

If the man didn't support child #1, why are you so damn stupid to believe he will support #2, #3 and on and on. They must understand that the man is a playa, and is probably fertilizing another v-a-g-i-n-a in another district or parish.

Get family planning man. Start doing like China and limit the population!
                        Yeah I agree
                        I know most won't agree with this but I believe men and women who continue to procreate without the means to support their creations should be forcibly sterilised.

Comment

Agree

Not really a taboo but the fathers are easier targets because they are absent from thier childrens lives in a way that the mothers are generally not.
                          Excellent point, Islandman!

The fact is that, were it not for the dedication and commitment of mothers (despite the shortcomings of some of the young ones) then this Caribbean region would be much worse off than it already is. Mothers have tended to form that invaluable foundation necessary for raising youngsters, even in many families where the fathers live at home.

Comment

Well, because they think they are different from the other baby mamas.

Comment

True, and therein is a reason why they don't need babies #1, 2 & 3 etc. for Mr. White, Mr. Black and Mr. Brown. It is a rare man, who is gonna take financial responsibility for the well being of a woman with 3 children. The chances are greatly diminished when the man realizes that the children are for multiple partners, who do not make any contribution to the children.

Wise up women and arise from bondage!!
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X