• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shame an Scandal in di Fambily..ah Yaad an Abroad

Jamaica at an all-time low

With Betty Ann Blaine

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dear Reader,

I believe that it is now clear to every Jamaican that we are now being led by a government that has all but lost its legitimacy. What is equally obvious is that the political stock of the country's leading Opposition party has simultaneously plunged in value, leaving a clear vacuum for honest and competent people to step up to the national leadership plate.

GOLDING... should do the honourable thing and step down
    [Hide Description] GOLDING... should do the honourable thing and step down
    [Restore Description]
    1/1

I have to confess that as a citizen of Jamaica I am thoroughly ashamed to acknowledge that the government we now have is actually my government. There is a maxim which says that a people deserve the government they have, but even while we admit that the government was voted into office by the people, and even with the current state of apathy that exists, I honestly don't think that the people of Jamaica deserve the kind of government that has evolved since 2007.

In fact, everywhere I go, people who voted for the Jamaica Labour Party are saying how disappointed they are in the Golding administration. "We know that there has always been corruption," I overheard one person saying, "But we can't believe the blatant dishonesty and the outright manipulation that we are now seeing."

Virtually every young person, with whom I have spoken who voted for the first time in the last election and voted for the JLP, has expressed disappointment and disgust concerning the current state of affairs. What is especially distressing is that many of those young people say that they will never vote again and want nothing to do with politics.

Jamaicans in the diaspora are especially incensed by what is happening. Friends of mine living abroad tell me that at the height of the Christopher "Dudus" Coke saga they were ashamed to let people know that they were Jamaicans. They tell me that even now, everywhere they go people marvel that Bruce Golding could still be prime minister after all that has happened.

I am particularly upset that the Golding government has taken "Brand Jamaica" and has helped in re-branding us as a country where drug lords and gun traffickers seem to be afforded privilege and protection.

The problem is that one of the limitations that our country has is the inability to impeach a prime minister when he or she commits an offence and seriously breaches the public trust. Neither does Jamaica have the power of "recall" that other countries utilise when public officials are found to be in breach. The American state of New Jersey, for example, provides in its constitution that "the people reserve unto themselves the power to recall, after at least one year of service, any elected official in this state or representing this state in the United States Congress". In California in 2003, citizens in that state, disgusted with the Democratic Governor Gray Davis, voted overwhelmingly to remove him from office in a recall election.

The dilemma that Jamaica is confronted with is that while we are able to point to corrupt politicians and governments, there are no useful mechanisms to punish the corrupt. So ridiculously lax and ineffective is the system we now have that parliamentarians are allowed to continue to sit in Parliament even while they are under investigation for fraud.

There is enough ammunition in the Dudus and the Manatt, Phelps & Phillips scandals to topple a dictatorship, let alone a prime minister operating within a system that ought to have constitutional and legislative checks and balances, as well as clear rules governing corruption and breaches of public trust. The fact that Mr Golding has been able to continue to govern is one of the biggest indictments of Jamaica's democratic system. We might as well accept that what we have in our country is a "version" of democracy that is in desperate need of repair and reconstruction.

Meantime, the explanation given by the MP for northeast St Ann, Shahine Robinson, regarding her United States citizenship, leaves more questions than answers.

Even political diehards are now admitting that the country is at an all-time low, as far as the moral and ethical leadership are concerned, and people are now accepting the fact that no country, especially structurally vulnerable countries like Jamaica, can sustain itself on corruption and criminality.

As far as the Golding administration is concerned, some very serious questions must now be posed: "Does the prime minister enjoy the trust and confidence of the Jamaican people? And "Can the prime minister effectively govern the country with the types of serious distractions facing his administration day after day?"

If the answer to those questions is no, then Mr Golding should do the honourable thing and step down, and while that is happening, the constitutionalists should be working assiduously to fix the system once and for all.

With love,

bab2609@yahoo.com
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

betty ann a campaign tuh!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Where was this woman for 18 years???

Jamaicans seem to have blinkered vision. Trust and confidence??? Jakans have a history of trusting the wrong people too much. What trust doing in the equation? The price of freedom is eternal vigilance!

This is what PJs legacy is. He broke the back of the Jamaican society, which was weak to start with.

Comment

What I've noticed is that Jamaicans are reactive rather than proactive. They have, as a people, tolerated inept and incompetent governments for decades and then they, after the damage has been done, complain about the state of the country and how it got that way. Prevention is better than cure, had people been more proactive whilst or even before the damage was done, the slog back to where Jamaica should be wouldn't be so hard.

Comment

i seem to remember a country that was not very happy with the PNP govt, but when they looked the other way, there was nothing but turmoil, insurrections and mutinies! what is a voter supposed to do?!?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So yuh turned off with the Rasta party now?
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post

Jamaicans seem to have blinkered vision. Trust and confidence??? Jakans have a history of trusting the wrong people too much. What trust doing in the equation? The price of freedom is eternal vigilance!

This is what PJs legacy is. He broke the back of the Jamaican society, which was weak to start with.
              I recall reading many complaints from her in the past, but her complaints seem to have proliferated with the pathological prevarication perpetrated by the Gelding regime...

phew!

Moral of the story...Jamaicans intensely dislike barefaced liad
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

mi nah hear nutten from di Ras?!?

but mi can vote fi Betty!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Betty Blaine “drew my tongue” on this one…. So today I responded like I see it on my blog. When you get a chance, I invite you to take a look. Here’s the link - http://childofthegarrison.com/2010/09/22/My_Commentary.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post

You must be fair. She has attacked the faults within the PNP and indeed the society, such as she saw them...for years and years! She has always been here.
                    Last edited by Karl; September 22, 2010, 03:03 PM.
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Garrison Child View Post
                      Betty Blaine “drew my tongue” on this one…. So today I responded like I see it on my blog. When you get a chance, I invite you to take a look. Here’s the link - http://childofthegarrison.com/2010/09/22/My_Commentary.aspx
                      That one is not up to your usual standard.
                      It may excite the die-hard supporter of the government...but it does nothing to refuse most of the sentiments of Betty Blaine.

You are bang on the money about people (majority of the people) in other countries not dwelling on Bruce's transgressions...but so it is with the transgressions of all our past governments.

You also, unfortunately, fall into the same hole as Betty with the generalizations. If you have travelled to many foreign countries and to these United States as often as you would want us to believe and have had the below always occur, as we would say, yuh bad lucky bad-bad!

I have never taken a trip anywhere when I was living in Jamaica and upon arrival the custom agents have had great things to say about Jamaican visitors - sad but true.
                      Many are the workers in immigration and customs who on finding I am Jamaican have brighter smiles and share good memories or just say 'nice' things about our country. Sorry my experiences differ from some of those generalizations you and Betty make.

You are bang on, we should always be proud to be Jamaicans. The indiscretions and wrong doings of some of us, even a PM, should not cause us to forget the many good deeds both in quiet unassuming ways usually far from public glare or indeed, top world achievements blazed across the world - Jamaica, wi likle but wi Talawah, rings loud.

btw - If Portia's actions you constantly shout demand her removal...that has nothing to do with Brucie's demanding his removal. It would only mean, both should go!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Garrison Child, I liked your commentary, particularly, and I hope you don't mind me quoting, this part.

When did Jamaica become one of the moral authorities of the world? I have been living away from Jamaica for quite some time now and from I used to live in Jamaica and used to travel to other countries, Jamaica was always known for having the most “misbehaving” set of people. I have never taken a trip anywhere when I was living in Jamaica and upon arrival the custom agents have had great things to say about Jamaican visitors - sad but true.

You also want to tell me that it is because of the Manatt, Phelps & Phillips debacle that other countries don’t want to grant visas or entries to Jamaicans?

I heard this sentiment from a few people on here and it makes me wonder if they've ever set foot outside of Jamaica. Jamaica has been known as a violent, drug dealing, consuming place for decades. I remember an article in a British tabloid months before the dudus thing kicked off, talking about whether drug addict Amy Winehouse wanting to record in "druggies paradise" Jamaica was a good idea. A person commented to me when the security forces was looking for Dudus "but doesn't this happen all the time over there?". I corrected him of course, but that is the perception and it has been that way for a long time, from the 70s and 80s when gun battles raged on Kingston's streets like in old cowboy and Indian movies or when Jamaicans were forced to get visas to travel to England because they were accused of exporting drug dealers and gun men over here.

Comment

This might also not be one of my better responses since I am a bit “rushed” today…..

You stated:

"If you have travelled to many foreign countries and to these United States as often as you would want us to believe and have had the below always occur, as we would say, yuh bad lucky bad-bad!"

Where in my quote or in my complete commentary does it say "travelled to many foreign countries and to these United States":

Here’s what I said:

"I have never taken a trip anywhere when I was living in Jamaica and upon arrival the custom agents have had great things to say about Jamaican visitors - sad but true."

When extra security goes in place upon the arrival of a flight from or going to Jamaica, what does that mean? I am not "generalizing" that's a fact…… From Jamaicans claiming that their 20 pound carry-on bag is their pocket book to always going over the weight limit…..

The next thing is that my commentary is based on Betty Blaine's statement:

"I honestly don't think that the people of Jamaica deserve the kind of government that has evolved since 2007."

What is she trying to say?…… That there was no scandal, no crime (political genocide) before 2007? It’s ludicrous to think that this Manatt, Phelps & Phillips situation is the cause of all Jamaica’s problems.

BTW – As the convener of a new political party, what is her solution????

Comment

She has entered the political fray. Her stridancy increased in 2007 and intensified since she launched her religious party.

Comment

Originally posted by MissLondon View Post
                              Garrison Child, I liked your commentary, particularly, and I hope you don't mind me quoting, this part.

When did Jamaica become one of the moral authorities of the world? I have been living away from Jamaica for quite some time now and from I used to live in Jamaica and used to travel to other countries, Jamaica was always known for having the most “misbehaving” set of people. I have never taken a trip anywhere when I was living in Jamaica and upon arrival the custom agents have had great things to say about Jamaican visitors - sad but true.

You also want to tell me that it is because of the Manatt, Phelps & Phillips debacle that other countries don’t want to grant visas or entries to Jamaicans?

I heard this sentiment from a few people on here and it makes me wonder if they've ever set foot outside of Jamaica. Jamaica has been known as a violent, drug dealing, consuming place for decades. I remember an article in a British tabloid months before the dudus thing kicked off, talking about whether drug addict Amy Winehouse wanting to record in "druggies paradise" Jamaica was a good idea. A person commented to me when the security forces was looking for Dudus "but doesn't this happen all the time over there?". I corrected him of course, but that is the perception and it has been that way for a long time, from the 70s and 80s when gun battles raged on Kingston's streets like in old cowboy and Indian movies or when Jamaicans were forced to get visas to travel to England because they were accused of exporting drug dealers and gun men over here.
                              Thank you Miss London!

Some Jamaicans just cannot handle the truth. I mean, I like Betty Blaine. She's even my friend on FaceBook .... I have also written a couple emails to her....

BTW, she's the one who befriended me on FaceBook and I immediately accepted

Comment

Working...
                              X