Buju Banton Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US government informant testifies against Jamaican superstar Buju

A US government informant has testified against Jamaican reggae star Buju Banton on the second day of his drug trial now underway in Florida.

The four-time Grammy nominee is on trial in a federal court in Tampa.

Buju whose real name is Mark Myrie, allegedly tried to buy cocaine from an undercover officer in Sarasota last year.

The Associated Press reports that recordings of phone calls and other conversations between Buju and the informant, Alexander Johnson, were played in court this morning.

Johnson reportedly testified that Buju introduced him to a friend named Ian Thomas who, the singer said, had contacts to sell multiple kilos of cocaine.

Thomas pleaded guilty to conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute five kilograms or more of cocaine and faces up to life in prison.

Thomas and another co-defendant James Mack have agreed to testify against Buju.

However, Buju’s attorneys are claiming that the US government informant entrapped their client.

One of his lawyers, David Markus says Buju will be taking the witness stand in his own defence against drug charges in the US.

The trial began yesterday in the US Middle District Court of Florida, Tampa Division, nine months after the singer was arrested.

In court yesterday, prosecutors alleged that Buju was an established drug trafficker before he tried to buy cocaine from an undercover cop in Florida last year.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

i did say 39! job 38 verse 11 inna yuh skin!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
        too funny... but mi get yuh str8...
        it nah guh suh funny wen one UPS guy duh ah ting soon...it aggo mean prior knowledge an one FBI investigation
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Di law nuh seh if yuh taste it yuh ah smugglah, it seh if yuh sell di ting or collect dollahs from di sale. Mi agree seh him should'n deh deh ah taste up stuff but dat nuh mek yuh ah smugglah.

Comment

yuh need more...remember the defence is entrapment.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I agree with you. Wether he was a big time drug dealer or a small fry showing some interest in the game and got trapped, I am TOTALLY disapointed with Buju and his intentions to deal in hard drugs on some level.

Simply put, he is a fraud.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                Wi done bury him aready, Jamaicans wi ah di bes ting, haffi shake mi head all di while, not eben a likkle support yahsuh. Bwoy!! nuff a wi sheep inna wolf. But dat nuh strange anyway kah wi kyaan duh nutten good. Wi always ah look fi di most negative ting when it come to wi own.
                Yow...mi seh it areddy an mi wi seh it again... if mi ave a bredrin whey mi kno duh good werks... an im mess up....dat nah guh mean seh mi tun mi back pon im.. Buju ah soulja an if im deal wid di white im cyan rub a sentence yes...but dat nuh mean seh mi aggo bun fiya pon im....fiya fi bun pon di act...strait

Ah suh it set fi mi...Babylon cudda deal..

well, wrang chice ah words

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

All mi can say is DEM SET HIM UP BAD
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    ongle when him get inna chubble! c'mon twan ... yuh si it often enough. ben johnson, trevor berbick, the subway shooter, the orlando hijacker who was in the the us military..the ups guy...waitaminnit...scratch dat it nuh happen yet.
                    that made my afternoon.
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

boom bye bye.... whey seaga did seh ... "nuhbaddy nevah sing boom bye bye fi him yet".....what a man facety?!!

Comment

Calm down son, no one called Buju a smuggler, at least not me. Let me say it again, Buju was seen testing the drug and even if that was his ONLY role in the chain of command it was too much. Buju should not be anywhere near cocaine and he should not have the knowledge to be able to test it to know the quality.

How does that dove tail in with his stated Rastafarian beliefs?

Man a fraud
                        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

."but dat nuh mean seh mi aggo bun fiya pon im....fiya fi bun pon di act..."

Den how you a bun so much fire pon Gelding?
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well me can accept dat argument, once we agree dat man fe be held responsible fe dem poor decisions.

Tell the truth if it was another artiste that do music me nuh respect, me wouldn't care too much but me feel betrayed in a way.
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Bruce nuh duh good werks inna fi mi opinion... im fi rub a sentence

Comment

yes...there is definitely a sense of betrayal...but flesh weak still

Comment

Working...
                                X