• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not another Beauty pagent

Nude pageant favours Jamaica again

Published: Sunday | September 19, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Sadeke Brooks, Staff Reporter
    In an effort to make exotic dancers feel more respected and appreciated, Delores Dickson will be hosting the Miss Black Nude America Pageant at Hedonism II in Negril next week.
    Dickson, who is the founder of the pageant, said although she owns an exotic club, she does not visit similar clubs in the United States because the women who dance there are usually treated poorly.
    "I don't go to a lot of them because I don't like how the women are treated," she told The Sunday Gleaner.
    "I started something here so that they could have some respect and they appreciate it. They get more respect and show that they are not only about dancing nude."
    She also said the idea for creating the pageant was born in 1994 after watching the Miss America pageant one night, and she wanted to do a similarly classy event for women of colour, but with a twist.
    This year, the pageant will be held between September 26 and October 3 at the Negril resort with 12 contestants from across the United States.
    This is not the first time the pageant has come to the island, and it has, in fact, been staged here every year since 1996.
    It has either been held at Hedonism II in Negril or Hedonism III in Ocho Rios.
    To be selected, Dickson said the women had to submit applications and then audition at her club - Club 555 - in Washington DC.
    After that, the 12 girls had to be part of a pre-pageant presentation showcase that took place in Washington, DC.
    Although it is a nude competition, the women will not only parade in the nude, as there are several categories that help determine the winner.
    The categories are evening wear, swimsuit, talent showcase, dance routine and the all-important nude showcase. Afterwards, a panel of five judges will determine the eventual winner.
    That lucky woman will win - money, gowns, a crown, trophies and a stay at Hedonism II. The runners-up will also receive cash and prizes.
    "It's just like any other pageant, it's just that they don't model in the nude like mine do," Dickson said.
    The pageant has also been featured on HBO's Real Sex for more than 10 years and it has been aired on Showtime Playboy and BET more recently.
    When asked why she thinks other stations want a piece of the pageant, Dickson said, "because it's different from anything you have ever seen. It's totally different. And every year it gets better and better." This year, as always, we are putting on a first-class show, and we are thrilled to be taking the pageant to the beautiful island of Jamaica," said Dickson, who has also worked tirelessly, raising funds for cancer research.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I've seen it on HBO and in my opinion the pageant needs better judges. I think I will offer myself up to be one of the judges. It's a job that I take seriously as I have developed a keen eye for the beautiful curves of the female body.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      I've seen it on HBO and in my opinion the pageant needs better judges. I think I will offer myself up to be one of the judges. It's a job that I take seriously as I have developed a keen eye for the beautiful curves of the female body.
      I want to volunteer to be a judge. How do we go abour replacing the judges?
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
      X