Soca IS Calypso!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soca IS Calypso!

I’m surprised that none of the so-called music experts on this forum saw it fit to correct an erroneous statement made by another poster yesterday that “calypso is not soca… first thing.”

I just saw this particular statement a minute ago, and hopefully I will stimulate some discussion about Trinidad’s national music form with this new thread.

The fact is that calypso is, to a great extent, soca! Soca actually means “soul calypso”, and soca music is, in reality, an evolution of traditional calypso, a more modernized form, so to speak.

Arrow’s “Hot, Hot, Hot”, with its rock guitar styling and thumb slapping and plucking bass line and driving bass drum, in my view perfectly reflects the deliberate attempts during the 1980s and 1990s to make the traditional calypso approach more attractive to a wide audience. While there was nothing really new about the horn arrangements in that recording, the lead guitar and bass patterns were certainly different than what emerged from the soca recording studios prior to 1983.

Calypso, despite the early success of Harry Belafonte, never had a mass following outside of the Caribbean community, and (again, in my opinion) the shift to the more “chart friendly” soca was an effort to make the genre more chart oriented.

By the way, the live version of Belafonte’s “Day O” is worth listening for its jazzy approach to an interpretation of a traditional calypso tune.

P.S. On a slightly different topic, are readers aware that the massive rock ‘n’ roll hit of several decades ago, “Louie, Louie” was written by a Jamaican fisherman?

which begs the question - is dancehall reggae?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Historian, I was of the view that soca and calypso were the same, until a fellow ite on this very forum point out the difference to me. Those were the days people supported their points, unlike what we've sunk to.

I'm not certain who it was, I hope him come forth and both of you debate it. Let me get a drink.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

"Soca"

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        Historian, I was of the view that soca and calypso were the same, until a fellow ite on this very forum point out the difference to me. Those were the days people supported their points, unlike what we've sunk to.

I'm not certain who it was, I hope him come forth and both of you debate it. Let me get a drink.
        I understand what you’re saying, Lazie. However, the fact is that, from the very beginning, the name “soca” was applied to that music with the idea that the “so” referred to “soul” and the “ca” referred to “calypso”, hence, “soca” or “soul calypso”.

Comment

is dancehall reggae?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Interesting

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            which begs the question - is dancehall reggae?
            Good question, Mosiah. Hopefully, there will be some input on this question from other regular members of this forum .

Comment

despite the origin of the name, isn't it possible that the two forms are now distinctly different? i believe they are! but then, who am i? and i certainly don't care two hoots about primitive music forms!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                I understand what you’re saying, Lazie. However, the fact is that, from the very beginning, the name “soca” was applied to that music with the idea that the “so” referred to “soul” and the “ca” referred to “calypso”, hence, “soca” or “soul calypso”.
                Okay .... yuh just teach mi something. I didn't see it that way.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  despite the origin of the name, isn't it possible that the two forms are now distinctly different? i believe they are! but then, who am i? and i certainly don't care two hoots about primitive music forms!

Spoilt brat
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

i tend to agree. try this, play pure calypso at carnival and if it is received with the same merriment which soca is received then that is a starting point.

question: was the song "dragon dance" by byron lee and the dragonnaires calypso or soca?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Frankly speaking, if yuh waan get into it they are cousins, but music is distinctly different. We know yuh all different variations of reggae & dancehall. I would say music performed by Vybz Kartel and its fast riddims is dancehall & music by Luciano is reggae.
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

that i can agree to. i like calypso....i can't really say i care for soca. i love reggae and likewise am not a big fan of dancehall ... a few songs here and there..

Comment

me too! calypso was good, but unfortunately now a dead art form. soca is primitive despite being newer!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

calypso is is to reggae as soca is to danceha...MY look at the time. i have a plane to catch...

Comment

not quite.

calypso is dead, reggae ain't!

also, dancehall nice, soca ain't!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X