Buchanan calls for pause on roadwork programme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buchanan calls for pause on roadwork programme

Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporter Eastern Westmoreland Member of Parliament (MP), Luther Buchanan, has asked Parliament to put the brakes on the Jamaica Development Infrastructure Programme (JDIP) until transparency about its implementation is guaranteed.
    In a Private Member's Motion tabled in the House of Representatives yesterday, Buchanan said there were too many unanswered questions about the US$400-million infrastructure programme which is to be funded by a loan from the Chinese government.
    He argued that until the unanswered questions are cleared up, the programme, which began last month, should stop.
    "Be it resolved that detailed information be provided as it pertains to the amount of money to be spent on each project as per parish and how each project and contractor was selected or will be selected," Buchanan said.
    "And, be it further resolved that for the protection of our tax dollars, transparency and equity, that a full disclosure be laid before Parliament the procedure for how subcontracts are awarded; the names of the subcontractors for each road for the next two years; how much money will be spent on each road and the basis of project prioritisation before the implementing of the project," he added.
    Heckled by hutchinson
    Buchanan was heckled by some government members, among them North West St Elizabeth MP, J.C. Hutchinson.
    "All wi doing is playing catch-up," Hutchinson retorted.
    The St Elizabeth MP has often complained that he was victimised by the People's National Party (PNP) when it formed the government. He said the roads in his constituency were not addressed.
    Political representatives have been at odds since the five-year road programme was rolled out. Central Manchester MP Peter Bunting last week boycotted the Manchester launch of the JDIP, noting that nine of 11 roads selected for rehabilitation in the parish were in the constituency represented by Finance Minister Audley Shaw.
    But Works Minister Mike Henry said the roads in Shaw's constituency were deserving of the attention as they were ignored during the time the PNP held state power.
    Meanwhile, amid the political tug-o-war, the National Works Agency (NWA) is defending its role in the project. The chief executive officer of the NWA, Patrick Wong, told The Gleaner on Monday that the areas to be addressed are chosen based on the state of roads and gullies in some areas and the challenges they pose to movement by commuters.
    He said main roads are chosen for the programme based on a profile developed by the agency which speaks to their condition. He also said the NWA, although it is the implementing agency, had no role in selecting parish council roads.
    "The parish council roads are selected by the department of local government, prioritised by the department of local government and the instructions they gave us is that it was in collaboration with the mayors," Wong said.
    However, Mandeville Mayor Brenda Ramsay told The Gleaner last week that the list of roads the Manchester Parish Council identified for works was ignored. She said the council was not consulted about the new list of roads that have been included for attention.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Now mi just a hear that all the PNP counsellors object to the roads that are to be repaired. Maybe they should just scrap the project and leave the roads as is. The money collected from the gas tax could be used to pay the various bodies instead.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

The govt has received a ton load of money from the gas tax. That should be good enough to fix all the roads.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        The govt has received a ton load of money from the gas tax. That should be good enough to fix all the roads.
        Isn't that what the JDIP is about? Yuh aware all the roads cannot be fixed at the same time? But of course, even though ppl objected to the project, dem a bitch because of the roads that are to be fixed first.

Comment

I have not bitched about this project, for selfish reasons! The more construction/road building work, the better for me!

However, what's wrong with asking for complete transparency on the project. The Chinese money is not going to be paid back by JLP members (and Brady?) only. It is the people's money wi talking about.

I say the NWA, despite their obvious partisanship, should come up with the schedule for the JDIP. Take it out of the hands of politicians!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have not bitched about this project, for selfish reasons! The more construction/road building work, the better for me!

However, what's wrong with asking for complete transparency on the project. The Chinese money is not going to be paid back by JLP members (and Brady?) only. It is the people's money wi talking about.

I say the NWA, despite their obvious partisanship, should come up with the schedule for the JDIP. Take it out of the hands of politicians!
            I've always wondered why pig cry out when stone fling inna pig pen. Anyway, this time around was taking about you bitching this time. Di man dem say all a di road dem ago fix .... wha the fuss bout? Yuh a talk as if the roads that are being fixed now, PNP supporters won't be using them as well?

Mi notice none of the noise mekker include Portia and Henry-Wilson. Why dem suh quiet?

Comment

"I have not bitched about this project, for selfish reasons! The more construction/road building work, the better for me"

Mi think you never have a selfish bone inna you.
              Can things in be in the individual interest and the interest of the nation at the same time?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                Can things in be in the individual interest and the interest of the nation at the same time?
                Hence my desire for full transparency on the issue!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  Di man dem say all a di road dem ago fix .... wha the fuss bout? Yuh a talk as if the roads that are being fixed now, PNP supporters won't be using them as well?
                  Don't be naive or tek people fi eediat! It's not about everyone using them. It is about pork barrel politics! And you know it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Don't be naive or tek people fi eediat! It's not about everyone using them. It is about pork barrel politics! And you know it!

Here we go again. Unuh .. no ... you bitch bout the state of the roads, then bitch when a project is implemented to fix the roads. Unuh need fi mek up unuh mind. Now all of a sudden NWA is being partisan. You people just looking fi something fi complain bout.

Comment

i just said i was not bitching about it! nuh dat mi say? but mi want transparency at the same time! what so wrong wid dat?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You shall get more transparency than what obtained under PJ road program.

How is that ?

Is nuff tings transparent to me since JLP tek ovah..

Mi hear one time dat Jamaica is PNP country.. mi nevah really fully unnastan it till now..

Comment

thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is me muss give tanks.

Nutting sweet me more than to watch di Comrades squirm and ball now dat the script flip !

Lol !! Woieee !!

Comment

that's what you see happening? i am loving these times misself!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X