Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud A Mi Bleaching

Mi decide fi create a new post fi this.

'Proud a mi bleaching' - 'Skin- bleachers' defend their action despite health and cultural warnings ...

Published: Sunday | November 15, 2009

Athaliah Reynolds, Staff Reporter

These are some of the skin-lightening products bought in downtown Kingston, without legally required prescriptions, as many women strive to become 'brownings'. - Photo by Fabian Ledgister

You see them everywhere - uptown, downtown and even in the small rural communities of Jamaica - clutching their umbrellas and sporting socks, stockings, scarves, 'hoodies', long-sleeved shirts and long pants in the blazing sun.

More
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

See this is the thing, in my travels around Jamaica I don't think I've seen bleached faces outside of downtown kingston. In fact I see more bleach face Jamaicans in London than I have seen over there. Maybe the bleachers uptown and in country are more skilled at applying the bleach?

Comment

She admits that since she has started bleaching, she gets more attention from the opposite sex. "It mek yuh look nicer cause most man go after browning. You get rich man when yuh bleach, cause dem see money print pon yuh."

LOL!!! What????????
      I'm lightskinned, I don't see no money printed on me, WTH???
      It's almost frightening to see how uneducated and ignorant many Jamaicans are. What is the cure for this?

Comment

Originally posted by MissLondon View Post
        I'm lightskinned,
        lightskinned and St. Elizabeth red is two different ting completely!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Funny yuh talk bout bleach, nuff a wi weh deh yah not eben waan guh out inna di sun, kah di fuss ting yuh hear bwoy mi get ah likkle black yuhnuh. Is ah black man ting, ah wi mentality all ah wi love pale to di death, weddah indirect or direct. Tek for example, Tiger an Rooney, notice how pan yah nobady nah cricify di pale God, but Tigah di get all kina ridicule. One di hab gall inna bungle, an one a get punany when him wife ah carry him yout come. Two situation, bad but di response fi di pale, ah blame media an temptation. Den di reponse fi di black man ah cricify him. Suh bleach, is ah extension ah wi mentality, ah suh di ting set.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            lightskinned and St. Elizabeth red is two different ting completely!
            LOL what's the difference?
            Though I don't think I'm St Elizabeth red!

Comment

joke, mi nuh know!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by myYout View Post
                Funny yuh talk bout bleach, nuff a wi weh deh yah not eben waan guh out inna di sun, kah di fuss ting yuh hear bwoy mi get ah likkle black yuhnuh. Is ah black man ting, ah wi mentality all ah wi love pale to di death, weddah indirect or direct. Tek for example, Tiger an Rooney, notice how pan yah nobady nah cricify di pale God, but Tigah di get all kina ridicule. One di hab gall inna bungle, an one a get punany when him wife ah carry him yout come. Two situation, bad but di response fi di pale, ah blame media an temptation. Den di reponse fi di black man ah cricify him. Suh bleach, is ah extension ah wi mentality, ah suh di ting set.
                True! Self hate is manifested in many different ways, but the bleaching thing I just don't understand because 1) Everyone looks worse after bleaching and 2) Its universally ridiculed. WTH do people still do it?

Comment

I also get the impression that its a class thing as much as skin colour thing. People associate lighter skin with more wealth and "stepping up inna life", except ofcourse, that no one with wealth takes these clowns seriously smh.

Comment

dem bleach inna india BAD BAD BAD!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well, after I watched some documentary, I realized that people are killing themselves over this browning thing.

One woman in the video said something to the effect that as soon as she get some money, all she think about doing is getting her bleaching stuff.
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                        Mi decide fi create a new post fi this.

'Proud a mi bleaching' - 'Skin- bleachers' defend their action despite health and cultural warnings ...

Published: Sunday | November 15, 2009

Athaliah Reynolds, Staff Reporter

These are some of the skin-lightening products bought in downtown Kingston, without legally required prescriptions, as many women strive to become 'brownings'. - Photo by Fabian Ledgister

You see them everywhere - uptown, downtown and even in the small rural communities of Jamaica - clutching their umbrellas and sporting socks, stockings, scarves, 'hoodies', long-sleeved shirts and long pants in the blazing sun.

More
                        “clutching their umbrellas and sporting socks, stockings, scarves, 'hoodies', long-sleeved shirts and long pants in the blazing sun.”

This is so pathetic and sad….. However, you have to kind of understand what the “bleachers” might be going through which is so unfair. Until people stop associating “black” with being “ugly”, I hardly think this behavior is going to stop.

If bleaching is so widespread in Jamaica and if they still have Guidance Counselors in schools, I think there should be a “Self Esteem” class where students learn from a young age that they are beautiful no matter what their complexion is.

BTW, before anyone asks, I would consider myself to be “beautiful caramel” and a lot of my relatives are “beautiful black” .

Comment

uh oh ... wait for it!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Remember when I was doing front office proceedure management a nuff a dem tem mi mi too black fi it, mi fi do account, bartending or something else. Is a good thing mi nuh have as much sense as them cause m woulda believe them. Where were all the Browning when we graduate?

you have to believe in yourself
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

check this out

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beaut...-elle-2391180/
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X