Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone confirm hearing of the passing of

the Arrow?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Apparently, it is true.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

From Wiki:

ARROW DIED ON THE MORNING OF WEDNESDAY, 15TH SEPTEMBER, 2010 AT HIS HOME IN MONTSERRAT. Montserrat, the Caribbean and the rest of the world mourn the passing of one of Socca's Greatest Artist, THE MIGHTY ARROW OF 'HOT HOT HOT FAME'. May his soul rest in peace!
      He was 55.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Really Sad

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        He was 55.
        Arrow will be missed. He had been going regularly to the USA for treatment during the past several months.

Although he has been out of the limelight for the past couple of decades or so, his 1980s hits such as “Hot, Hot, Hot” are genuinely memorable gems. People like Arrow and Gabby (“Government Boots”) marked, in my opinion, the highpoint of the soca genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          Arrow will be missed. He had been going regularly to the USA for treatment during the past several months.

Although he has been out of the limelight for the past couple of decades or so, his 1980s hits such as “Hot, Hot, Hot” are genuinely memorable gems. People like Arrow and Gabby (“Government Boots”) marked, in my opinion, the highpoint of the soca genre.
          So, yuh mean T&T artistes don't feature when it comes to good soca music?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not in My Book They Don't (lol)

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            So, yuh mean T&T artistes don't feature when it comes to good soca music?!?
            The Trini calypso artists don’t do anything to me, to be honest. On the other hand, I’ve never been a soca/calypso fan, so I hardly spend time with this genre.

By the way, it’s ironic that really big calypso/soca artists like the Mighty Sparrow (born in Grenada), Arrow (born in Montserrat), etc. were not Triniadian natives.

Comment

I have often said one of the best soca chunes ever is Tiney Winey, another non-Trini chune!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i have been trying to find errol lee and the bare essentials tune "rebel tour" about the west indian tour to south africa....nowhere to be found!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Montana is good.

Arrow is very good but only that he seemed to have taken a recording break. Saw him in action once.

I also like "Soca Ruma", "Bill Bill, Bills", and "long time."

RIP Arrow
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Calypso is not Soca...first thing...Arrow was good with Hot Hot Hot..back in 1983...Pointdexter made it more popular with American version...saw him perform in the early days as well as recently as the Commonwealth HOGs Summit....in POS last year I think...and he still looked the part, despite sm age...
                    Sparrow...although born in Grenada spent most of his life in TT his adopted home...and is unparalleled in his use of diction, double entendre and social commentary in his era...he still performs although he seems to have some health problems as well...
                    The Might Kitchener, Attilla the Hun, Mighty Duke, Terror, Blakie, Black Stalin are some of the names you should check. Many were pioneers of their time...singing out against social injustice, colonialism and its aftermath etc...they were the voice of the people....and played a major role in self actualization and pride of local people...also mixed in was humour...I could go on....
                    Interestingly, some years a ago, I heard Gen Colin Powell say that during the Gulf war he played Sparrow's calypso's...to relax him and he "like the smutty ones" as well.

Comment

Tiney Winey is only recognized by the uptown Jamaica soca fans...very catchy but not a classic by any stretch.

Comment

yuh not telling mi anyting new?!? fact is the great calypsonians/soca-ists are not Trini!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo..don't want to labour the point BUT your statement is false.

Comment

probably isn't. yuh know I'm going to want to mek it look suh!

heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well mi see nuff non-uptown Jamaicans loving that tune, so it definitely isn't only recognized by them.

Comment

Working...
                              X