X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuba to cut jobs

Cuba to cut 500,000 gov't workers; reform salaries

2010-09-13 12:30:56 | (0 Comments)

HAVANA (AP) — Cuba says it will fire at least half a million state workers by mid-2011 and will free up private enterprise to help them find new work — radically remaking employment on the communist island.

The layoffs will start immediately and run through the first half of next year, according to an announcement Monday by the nearly 3 million-strong Cuban Workers Confederation — the only labor union the government tolerates.

To soften the blow, it said the government would authorize simultaneous increases in [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]job [COLOR=blue !important]opportunities[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in the non-state sector, allowing more Cubans to become [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]self-employed[/COLOR][/COLOR], to form cooperatives run by employees rather than government bureaucrats and to increase private control of state land and infrastructure through long-term leases.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

What a wicked uncaring gov't?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Watch what a gwaan and change will be forced pon dem soon.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

this is not a good sign .
        Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
        United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
        happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
        Probably forthcoming...

Comment

That's all you see?

Comment

what is your comment on the matter mi friend?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL mi kinda excited right now. When mi sekkle miself ah wi talk

ah Joke; at least something is there for the populace. I think Ja's greatest leader tried this in the 70s. (take into consideration that this is highly educated society). Cuba is showing signs of opening up. It won't look good for JA.

Prediction: In years to come, you may see a US/Cuba alliance.

Comment

you sound confused. So is this a good thing? What did the great leader to in the 70s? cut the labor force?

Cuba is not threat to Ja if you ask me. We can all get along fine.

Comment

If they can speak English we have some potential job openings in the Government.. we cannot afford the locals...

Comment

Grab a boat and head for JA
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Boss the great leader was working with a 55% illiteracy rate (translate to one in two) as opposed to the educated society in cuba. You just don't get; every where you turned they have skilled workers.

The leader had to give "crashy" (sweep road, pick up paper) just to instill the concept and discipline of work. Gwaan man cause yuh mussi really tink say dem luv yuh. Well yuh parents/grandparents mussi did plantation owners, if so plase excuse my comments.

Comment

True ting. We need fe stop believe that for one person or country to prosper, another must suffer as a result.

Economics nuh work like that! There is not a fixed amount a food dat everybody haffe share.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                        X