• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial system under more stress

Financial system under more stress
    Article Published: Saturday, September 11th, 2010

Audley Shaw

The country’s financial system is coming under more stress because of the Jamaica Debt Exchange Initiative (JDX), the artificial revaluation of the currency and the declining economy, which have all impacted negatively on consumer and investor confidence. If the current situation continues for another two quarters many financial institutions may have to draw down on the US$950 million line provided under the agreement with the International Monetary fund (IMF) or cut staff.

This would seriously undermine the credibility and the premature nature of the recent requests by Bank of Jamaica Governor Brian Wynter and Finance Minister Audley Shaw that the money be diverted for under purposes because the sector would not need it.

Data released by the central bank on the prudential indicators for the financial system, which includes commercial banks, merchant banks and building societies, confirm that the pressure is building on the system. For example, the assets of the financial system climbed by 0.1 per cent to $769.6 billion in June of 2010, compared with $768.5 billion in June of 2009 and $693.1 billion in June of 2008. This was a decrease of 13 per cent in real terms when adjusted for the inflation rate of almost 13 per cent during the period.

Meanwhile, the total gross loans and advances of the system fell by 2.5 per cent to $343.8 billion in June of this year from $352.7 billion in June of 2009, but up from the $293.8 billion recorded in June of 2008.

This was however a decrease of 15 per cent when adjusted for inflation during the period. The loan to assets ratio fell to 43.6 per cent from 45.2 per cent last year but marginally higher than the 41.8 per cent recorded during the year 2008.

The loan to deposit ratio of the system also fell from 74.89 per cent in June of last year to 69.9 per cent in June of this year, which was the same level in June of 2008, on the back of the lack of business confidence, which is being generated by the weak aggregate demand. The central bank data also indicated non-performing loans three months and over jumped by 70.3 per cent $20.4 billion, in June of this year, up from $14.6 billion in June of 2009 and $7.4 billion in 2008. The provisions for these loans amounted to 4.2 per cent of gross loans this year, up from 3.0 per cent in 2009 and 2.4 per cent in 2008.

Turning to the deposit side, the central bank pointed out that the total amount of money deposited with the financial system as at the end of June this year grew by 5.3 per cent in nominal terms to $496.6 billion, from $471.5 billion in 2009 and $425.8 billion in 2008. This was however a decline of about 7 per cent in real terms.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Let them banks feel pressure until they stop their crap. Low deposit rates and high lending rates. What's the incentive to deposit or borrow absed on these terms?

Comment

Yuh naw go see no new banking regulation wid dem jokers in Gordon House. Mi wonder how much money the banking community donate to the JLP & PNP?
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Only the IMF will benefit from this arrangement.

The IMF like all banks-- are in business to make money:

Look fram when Jamaica a borrow...and still in a deeper mess than when they first started in the 70's.

oH...and some are doing cart-wheels and a kin-puppa-lick because China has jumped in on the action.

Don1...Jamaica NEEDs your 'elp!!!
        Last edited by HL; September 13, 2010, 04:05 PM.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

a dem thing yah the people fi take action on. Don't wait on the PNP or JLP.

Even former banker Hill said the spread is too wide, Scotia chairman a mek up some cock and bull stories. The people need to act
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The IMF is not a bank...its a multilateral funding agency. It has no more profit motive than the UN.

Comment

yuh nuh tink the un have a profit motive

Comment

No.

Unless its the personal motive of the fat cat Intl Civil servants.

Dont forget I interact with UN people frequently.

Comment

Him still on the agenda.

Financial system under stress because them need to operate like a real bank, like other banks all over the world. LOL

Lets blame non-performing loan on the JDX. Lets blame it on the Govt even though the same thing is happening all over the world. LOL

Comment

you nuh think if the bank them cut their lending rate a lot more people will be able to refinance and pay less on their loans?

The bank them going to eat that as people waiting for them to cut rate to do business.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                      you nuh think if the bank them cut their lending rate a lot more people will be able to refinance and pay less on their loans?

The bank them going to eat that as people waiting for them to cut rate to do business.
                      Let me just ask...what is the incentive for the banks to narrow the spread and thus funnel less to the botomline?

Unless turnover is going to jump volumes to surpass the contribution the spread makes...then...????

...so Sass tell us the degree to which 'good borrowing' must be increased and name the opportunities in our small country that are currently lying around to absorb that injection/investment of the 'good borrowing funds' that will 'stand up' and 'scream' to the banks 'here we are'...we shall make it worth your while to narrow that spread?
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl there are opportunites. Do you realise that we can't produce enough cassava, sorrell and other products? If you borrow at 12 % rather than 20 percent you stand a better chance of surviving. If there is no opportunity why the chinese buying the sugar factories?

What is consider "good borrowing" Karl? All borrowing are good. You ever see a man left the bank with loan and nuh feel about about it? There is bad loans but is after it not paid for.

The people need to take action, when interest a go up why them nuh do the same and move slow? can you explain that?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          All borrowing are good.
                          I don't know who is more serious, you or Lazie!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You ever hear of bad borrowing?

I don't know where Karl draft up that term.

Comment

have i heard of it, or have i done it? which one?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X