X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reggae Rich list

Shaggy the richest reggae artiste

Shaggy.

The United States based website Urban Islandz has released the names of the artistes they say are reggae and dancehall's richest people.

The list has a few interesting facts and insight into the artistes' success.
    Topping the list of richest reggae artistes is Shaggy.

According to Urban Islandz, Shaggy's 2001 album 'Hot shot' sold more than 20 million copies worldwide making him one of music's top selling artistes.
    His net worth is a whopping US$22 million.

Veteran singer Jimmy Cliff is in second place with a net worth of US$18 million.

Though the data collected was limited, 'The Harder They Come' star is said to be the second most iconic person in reggae music.
    This year he was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

In third place is dancehall artiste Sean Paul with a net worth estimated at US$11 million after his 'Dutty Rock' album sold more than six million copies.

Fourth
    goes to Ziggy Marley, who is estimated to be worth US$10 million.
    Ziggy's Grammy award winning album 'Love Is My Religion' sold millions of copies worldwide.

Junior Gong, Buju, Beenie & Bounty make the list

In fifth place is Sean Kingston whose net worth is US$7 million.
    His popularity and riches started with his 2007 hit 'Beautiful Girls'.

The sixth richest reggae artiste is Damion "Junior Gong" Marley with a net worth of US$6 million while in seventh place is reggae crooner Maxi Priest, whose net worth is estimated at US$4.6 million.

Priest has been recording since the mid eighties.

The embattled Buju Banton is in eighth place with a net worth of US$4 million. At one point he was even known as the richest reggae artiste alive but lost ground after his run in with the gay community.

King of the dancehall Beenie Man is the ninth richest reggae/dancehall artiste with a net worth of US$3.7 million and rounding off the top ten is veteran deejay Bounty Killa who boasts a net worth of US$3 million after years of work in the music industry.

Bob Marley richest dead reggae artiste

However, despite their riches, the now deceased king of reggae Bob Marley is named as the all time richest reggae musician of all times.

Though deceased, he is still richer than all the artistes on the list combined.
    Bob Marley is also down in history as one of the richest dead celebrities.
    Last edited by Karl; September 11, 2010, 07:52 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

This must be a reggae music sales list because no attention is paid to people like Berres Hammond, Burning Spear and Toots who are pretty much on the tour curcuit all the time.

Also these charts don't cover dub plates and voice over.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Interesting List

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      The United States based website Urban Islandz has released the names of the artistes they say are reggae and dancehall's richest people.

The list has a few interesting facts and insight into the artistes' success.
      Topping the list of richest reggae artistes is Shaggy.
      Shaggy and Bob Marley both come as no surprise. However, I’m surprised that Jimmy Cliff is wealthier than Sean Paul. Granted, Jimmy has been around since the 1960s, while Sean Paul had his first big hit in this 21st century. Nevertheless, Sean has had mammoth sales in his comparatively few years, including at least two Number One hits on the Billboard Pop chart.

The limits of this list, when taken in the context of the countless contributors to the development and success of reggae music since the late 1960s, reveals clearly the fact that most reggae recording artists have not been as overall financially successful as one would have thought or hoped.

Comment

Burning Spear and Toots Hibbert. The list is certainly something missing from the list Assasin.

And Buju...listed as having $4 million....and a sell crack!

****************ing idiat!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

have fi realise that Jimmy is always performing on the international stage plus he gets a lot of royalties from his hit songs and movies. He has a cultish following in Europe, Brazil and France amongst other places.

Also missing from the list is Bunny Wailer who must be getting a lot of Wailers and "Electric Boogie" royalties.

Comment

you had to go there eeehhhhh .

What proof you have? innocent until proven .........

Comment

Are they talking about earned income or wealth? If all they have is sales figures alone then it is more about earned income.

I have serious doubts about the validity of this list.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                Are they talking about earned income or wealth? If all they have is sales figures alone then it is more about earned income.

I have serious doubts about the validity of this list.
                Our last year's income?
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  have fi realise that Jimmy is always performing on the international stage plus he gets a lot of royalties from his hit songs and movies. He has a cultish following in Europe, Brazil and France amongst other places.

Also missing from the list is Bunny Wailer who must be getting a lot of Wailers and "Electric Boogie" royalties.
                  ...and what about Tosh's royalties?
                  He also has a cult following.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Tosh royalties are ok but nothing near Jimmy or Bunny. Remember there are few songs bigger than "Electric Boogie", only other song can compete from the caribbean is "Hot Hot Hot" and "One Love".

Comment

Published on another website from Urban Islandz

“This list is compiled from data that were available to Urban Islandz online and Offline. We strive to make sure the content we published is fully accurate but we cannot always guarantee this. Therefore, we assumed that the above content is accurate unless otherwise specified by the persons named above.”

Dem mussi pull something out of the sky fi come up with this list.
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Shaggy told me himself years ago that dancehall outsold reggae by far, except for Bob Marley.

Comment

It depends on the year and time.

Right now Reggae maybe outselling dancehall as it is. Too much download and now now vynl nay sell again.

Also Reggae concert curcuit a lot wider than the dancehall curcuit.

Comment

UB40 at one time was considered the richest reggae group .
                            Not surprise shaggy is the richest reggae artist .
                            Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                            United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                            happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                            Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                              Burning Spear and Toots Hibbert. The list is certainly something missing from the list Assasin.

And Buju...listed as having $4 million....and a sell crack!

****************ing idiat!
                              HL - dog have money, him buy cheese
                              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X