• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Fern Gully Obscenities

Remove Fern Gully obscenities

Published: Thursday | September 9, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

The Editor, Sir:
    Please publish the letter below which was sent to Police Commissioner Owen Ellington, the deputy superintendent in charge of Ocho Rios and also to the minister of culture, Olivia Grange.

Dear Commissioner,
    Re: Obscene Publications (Suppression of) Act - Obscene objects (large erect penises on Rastafarian men) in Fern Gully.
    I am an attorney-at-law and, I believe, a decent citizen of [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] with a fair degree of moral standing. I wish to bring to your attention the subject captioned matter as I wince every time I drive through Fern Gully with my two-year-and-10-month-old daughter as there are several Rastafarian scupltures with large, erect penises enlarged for a more egregious effect.
    These sculptures ('obscene objects') are in my view in breach of Section 2 of the Obscene Publications (Suppression of) Act. The section reads, inter alia, "Any person who -
    (a) For purposes of or by way of trade - makes or produces or has in his possession - or any obscene objects ... shall be guilty of an offence".
    The Concise Oxford Dictionary, 10th edition, defines obscene as 'offensive or disgusting by accepted standards of morality and decency'.
    The situation is worsening as at least six separate stalls along the Fern Gully now display for sale these obscene (in my view) objects that are multiplying not only in the number of objects for sale but the size and erection of the penises prominently protruding from the sculptures.
    The decline in our moral standing as a nation is traceable to glaring lawlessness. These obscene objects is just one of many examples of depravity throughout the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]island[/COLOR][/COLOR]. The decent Jamaicans still left in this island must stand together and act or fall together leaving our children's future at serious risk of blight.
    I am, etc., [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]KENT[/COLOR][/COLOR] GAMMON

I am so glad someone else feels this way, I also drive through there
    with young children it's not comforrable at all.

There has to be a way where those artifacts can be keep out of view
    for a passer by.

Agreed!

I wonder how much pleasure the artist gets when he sculpts these figures. Does he sand them down with tender, loving care? Does he use a live model?

They need to get a life!

The decent Jamaicans still left in this island must stand together and act or fall together leaving our children's future at serious risk of blight.
    ...not the best choice of words! Too much standing is already going on!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

We don't need to see any more exposed penis - we can always go to Emancipation Park and tek a look
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

wha ... gwa'aan kent. he may have a point...but is long time dem tings on sale there, i wonder if his becoming the parent of infant GIRLS provided some impetus?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

All them have fi do is create an ADULT ONLY section. It must have been selling or it wouldn't still be there. Can't kill the market just regulate it.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

dem used to sell dem wid barrell and yuh had was to lif' up di barrell...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

agree still... there is a place for the art but not where they are prominently displayed...

The decent Jamaicans still left in this island must stand together and act or fall together leaving our children's future at serious risk of blight.
              lol... how about The decent Jamaicans still left in this island must come together... you'd have a problem wid dat tuh...

awrite... maybe 'band together' might be more in line...
              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
              X