Interesting demographics on Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting demographics on Jamaica

Dem seh is 3.6m Jamaicans in the world and Panama is the country with the most outside of the Rock!
    http://www.joshuaproject.net/peoples.php?peo3=12316

Also, you can see how the 2.7m on the Rock is split into 2.4m Jakans and 300K farriners.

www.joshuaproject.net/countries.php?rog3=JM
    Last edited by Willi; September 8, 2010, 07:17 AM.

what the hell is this ?
    halloween costumes for kids

Comment

Demographic breakdown of people living in Jamaica and also breakdown of Jamaicans living in other countries.

Could be useful if we speculate on engaging the diaspora!

Why the aggressive tone?

Comment

The figures don't look accurate at all, unless I'm reading them incorrectly. There are 235,000 Jamaicans in Colombia and over 300,000 in Panama??? When did this happen???? I know some Jamaicans moved to Panama, but over 300,000? Thats more than the UK and US combined, I don't buy that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post

Why the aggressive tone?
          Lol, I think its because the figures are puzzling

Comment

Shawn, I am warning you. Please desist from advertising on the site! You are this close from being banned permanently!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i NAT laughing!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I've just taken a quick look at Wiki (not always completely accurate but anyway) and its says that from about 1881 and the 1930s about 90,000 Jamaicans moved to Panama to work on the canal, 250,000 came from the caribbean region in total. So how do they come to 312,000????? On the other hand in the 1950 and 60s , 191,330 Jamaicans moved to England, but England now only has 178,000 Jamaicans? lol really??

Oh I can't find any information about Jamaicans in Colombia from my quick google search. Anyone have any info?
                Last edited by MissLondon; September 8, 2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

i would imagine that a key issue would be those who idenitifed themselves as Jamaican.

I have a distant relative who moved to england in his 40's he is now in his 80's and he considers himself to be, in his words "an englishman" ... WTF?!!!!? well had a few choice words for him.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    i would imagine that a key issue would be those who idenitifed themselves as Jamaican.

I have a distant relative who moved to england in his 40's he is now in his 80's and he considers himself to be, in his words "an englishman" ... WTF?!!!!? well had a few choice words for him.
                    Jamaicans in the UK are known to be very close to their culture and heritage, the figures in the link Willi put up just don't add up. Secondly, your relative would be marked as being Jamaican born, regardless of what he identifies himself as. There is no option for black british people to identify themselves as English anyway, you are either black british caribbean or black british African.

Comment

That is why I put it out there...ThoughColon looks like Spanish Town and full of ethnic Jakans!

This is all Canal migration from the 1920s. Nicaragua has a good amount too.

Comment

yeah but in a census black british caribbean is still vague (guyana, trinidad, st lucia, dominica etc )....anyway. overall i agree with you but there HLs in the world so ......

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                          That is why I put it out there...ThoughColon looks like Spanish Town and full of ethnic Jakans!

This is all Canal migration from the 1920s. Nicaragua has a good amount too.
                          Yeah but 312,000? And 30,000 in the Dominican Republic? Where on earth is that figure from? lol Seems like they are confusing Jamaicans with eastern caribbbean nationals from St Kitts, Anguilla etc who migrated there to cut sugar cane. Those figures don't seem accurate at all and are not backed up by any other information I can find, not just for Jamaica though but other countries too.

Comment

80% of the Caribbean migration to Central America was from Jamaica. Bdos is next in numbers.

Dom Rep beats me. I would think Cuba would be the highest figure in the region.

Comment

re:cuba...so did i

Comment

Working...
                              X