X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ragashanti! By Fae Ellington

STRICTLY SPEAKING

BY FAE ELLINGTON

In anything it’s always good to start with the history. That’s where I’ll begin. Shortly after Kingsley ‘Ragashanti’ Stewart returned to Jamaica several years ago I heard him giving an interview on radio; I was intrigued. I immediately tracked him down and gave him a call. During that first interview, our first conversation and until today I believe Raga’s story to be not only inspiring but also one of triumph. I maintain that until today.

So impressed was I with this man and his mind, I often recommended him as guest speaker for functions. He was even kind enough to accept an invitation from me to address a group of girls at my alma mater, St. Hugh’s High School.

Back then I not only watched him host his TV programme and listened to his radio programme, whether on HOT 102 or the early days at NewsTalk 93 FM but I recommended his programmes to many. I called him from time to time and on a few occasions would stop by the station and talk with him briefly on air.

A few years ago Ragashanti was taken hostage by gunmen from the campus at the UWI — kidnapped. The morning he went on air and revealed what he had experienced, I was listening to his programme. I was alarmed and immediately wondered what I could do to help. I didn’t have to think for much longer because my phone rang. I was being asked if it were possible for me to come to the campus immediately to support Raga. I think the call was made by his producer. I never thought twice. I got there and commiserated with ‘my friend’. I hugged him and comforted him, listened to him on and off the air share his traumatic experience. I even co-hosted the programme with him.

I continued to share a cordial relationship with Raga.

Whenever and wherever we saw each other there was always a warm greeting. I was still one of his listeners.

A couple years ago though I became a bit uncomfortable with the path he was on with his programme.

I called Raga, left him a message which he returned. I shared my concerns, he listened and although we were clearly on different pages there was never any disrespect; soon after I disengaged from the programme. That did not stop me from recommending him as guest speaker if I was asked by anyone who needed someone to motivate young minds.

Late news

For close to a year and a half I had not listened to Ragashanti’s programme. However, when the ownership of Newstalk 93 FM reverted in full to the university, I and others were assigned responsibilities. Mine was to do an audit of all programmes. I started that on August 9, 2010. (This date has other significance.) Whether you are a listener or a media worker ANYONE would know the importance of time in media, especially when it comes to the news.

Well I was shocked to hear every newscast during Ragashanti’s show being taken late; not by half a minute or a minute.

That would still have been unprofessional; but by 3, 5, 8 and in one instance, as heard by me, all of 10 minutes late. Where in the world in any professionally run media outfit could this be the case? The principal of the University of the West Indies, Mona and chairman of NewsTalk 93 FM, Professor Gordon Shirley, announced on Wednesday August 11, that I was named Interim Manager for NewsTalk.

On Thursday August 12, in the company of my immediate superior, I walked across to the station. We got there at approximately two minutes to 10 a.m.

We sat in the lobby and listened as Ragashanti once more totally ignored the fact that the news reader was sitting there waiting to read the news. Again, the news was late by several minutes.

After the news was done, my director and I entered the studio, where I told the team — technical operator, producer and Ragashanti — that as of that time I was expecting that the news would be taken on time. We left the studio and repaired to the lobby.

Personal and professional

While there, I wrote a note to the producer, that’s the person in charge of a radio programme, advising her that she would be held responsible if the news is taken late. I returned to the studio handed the note to the producer, went across and touched Raga on his head in a show that my care for him as a person had not changed indicating that this was all about being professional. Well, that was the beginning of the end.

Ragashanti began to ‘trow wud’, about ‘hypocrite’, something he is so good at. That was Thursday, August 12. This continued through to Friday August 13 when I was now named.

Ragashanti gave me a proper ‘tracing’ that day. It was done in instalments. I pause here to say that I have now been traced on air by two male media practitioners. I have never been able to trace. That’s one art I have not developed and have no intention so to do.

Although I found his behaviour on August 12 and 13 ‘distasteful’ I was not deterred. But on Saturday August 14 a blog in support of Ragashanti with the most despicable, unkind and evil comments were made about me.

Raga, I would have thought that you would have come to my rescue the way I was there for you.

The manly and humane thing for you to have done was to make an entry on that blog, identifying yourself and being unequivocal about your position on the nastiness posted about me. On your return to your programme, you should also have done that. Raga you went on air and told the world that I intended to take your programme off the air. I said no such thing to you. I spoke with your producer Ruth Levy and told her of my concerns about a new feature that you had started on August 9. If you all didn’t think it through I saw that you could endanger your life, that of your team members as well as the lives of others.

But guess what Raga? ‘One Love’.

Here is some advice, approach some investors with the view to acquiring a radio licence. Call the station ‘Raga…FM’. You will make a lot of money. And remember that although your focus is purely on entertainment and ‘trash’, as you put it, try to empower others to triumph the way you did.

You have it within you to help turn this nation around; to truly make that seismic paradigm shift we so badly need; you can help to ‘sort out’ young men in particular, but not alone, and help them to a path of productivity. You can help them be human and behave human.

Can you imagine the difference you’d make if you took a half an hour out of your programme and with the help of former colleagues and friends instituted and invested in a half an hour a day where you taught basic subjects: Monday — English; Tuesday — Math; Wednesday — History; Thursday — Geography and Friday — Civics or whatever.

The Ragashanti Academy; learning by radio. See the bigger picture. The centres you could establish to take them through to CSEC and ultimately on to universities. Ragashanti help our young people achieve what you have. They and the rest of us Jamaicans will thank you for it. Rest assured that you would have truly ‘sorted them out’…in the right way and in the right direction.

One Love and a Happy Birthday…September 6. Nuff Respec…ALWAYS!

My column is published every other week, so back with you on September 12, DV. Walk good! Fae Ellington is a broadcast journalist, lecturer in radio and a communication consultant. Your views and comments are welcome. Send them to fae@mail.infochan.com
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

yes the manly thing would be for him to come to your aid Faye but what if he is not a man after all?
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

fay ellington is pure class...always has been. for her to write this piece in so public a forum means that she must be hurting really badly.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

at the end of the day, Raga will return to radio, bigger, but not better. the sponsors will play their part in dumbing down an already dumb nation.

why rock the boat??! jump and shout and spread out!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          at the end of the day, Raga will return to radio, bigger, but not better. the sponsors will play their part in dumbing down an already dumb nation.

why rock the boat??! jump and shout and spread out!
          u mean skin out

Comment

Nice, classy article in deed.

But guess what Raga? ‘One Love’.

Here is some advice, approach some investors with the view to acquiring a radio licence. Call the station ‘Raga…FM’. You will make a lot of money. And remember that although your focus is purely on entertainment and ‘trash’, as you put it, try to empower others to triumph the way you did.

You have it within you to help turn this nation around; to truly make that seismic paradigm shift we so badly need; you can help to ‘sort out’ young men in particular, but not alone, and help them to a path of productivity. You can help them be human and behave human. {It seems that many of the fortunate, educated ones, thrive on imparting, trash, smut and more S-h-i-t to those so at risk}

Can you imagine the difference you’d make if you took a half an hour out of your programme and with the help of former colleagues and friends instituted and invested in a half an hour a day where you taught basic subjects: Monday — English; Tuesday — Math; Wednesday — History; Thursday — Geography and Friday — Civics or whatever.

The Ragashanti Academy; learning by radio. See the bigger picture. The centres you could establish to take them through to CSEC and ultimately on to universities. Ragashanti help our young people achieve what you have. They and the rest of us Jamaicans will thank you for it. Rest assured that you would have truly ‘sorted them out’…in the right way and in the right direction.

One Love and a Happy Birthday…September 6. Nuff Respec…ALWAYS!
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

The other 'man' who cursed her out on live radio was Cliff Hughes, he he he any similarities here?
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Do people take him too seriously on radio? The other day he said uptown lesbians are fighting against him because he supports ghetto lesbians. He just talks a lot of trash for ratings.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

who seh dat, cliff hughes?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Ragga shanti

Comment

oh...

Comment

Cliff like Lesbians?
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

mi nuh know.....mi seeking clarity!

Comment

I was in the bank one day and this woman who I had known for years was telling me her nephew had passed his GSAT fopr JC when he had chosen Herbert Morriosn since he is from Montego Bay and had no ties to Kingston.

So instead of appealing to the Ministry of Education she called Ragga

If I am home past 9am and has to take a taxi to work, i can bet you eight out of 10 will have the Ragga show on the radio and will be chuckling all the way and depending on who else is in the taxi will engage the passengers about how wicked ragga is.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

really now Gamma...
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X