An idea being floated in the Observer re OIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea being floated in the Observer re OIL

You all saw the Canadian firm Sagres seeking an equity partner to go ahead and drill.

One commenter posited that if the entire diaspora was solicited to invest US$100, we would have something like $450m. Using a 50% uptake, that gives a reasonable figure of US$250m from JAKAN equity investors...more than enuff to test drill and take it to commercial stage (Where we could pardnah up with Shell/Repsol/Total/PetroBras, etc). Note, this is only for ONE of the set of blocs allocated, ie nothing to do with Finders/Gippsland. So more than one bites at the cherry.

The idea (intuitively more attractive than Air Jamaica as a business), would be for qualified/Trustworthy/experienced Jakans (Geologists/Petro-Engineers/consultants/Investment Bankers and professional Managers with world class experience) to form a consortium to float a NEW company to raise funds in an IPO in Jamaica to partner up with Sagres to take it to the next stage by next March!

How does this sound to you guys? This seems to me to be a way for Jakans to finally and tangibly take a stake in the bounty of Jamaica, instead of automatically farming this out to farriners. Here would be a chance for us to own a piece of the rock that could potentially provide us individually with a windfall and give us a tangible stake in the welfare of Jamaica as a whole and the nascent industry in particular.

I wonder if anyone has started to do with with the same passion as the misguided attempt to "save" Air Jam?? This would be putting our money where our mouth is! Provided of course all the Ts are crossed and the Is dotted, ie prospectus with solid business plan layed out. said company should look to allocate shares on the widest possible scale to encourage BRAD participation (as it would SURELY be oversubscribed if done right). Dont one one man like Butch buying it out. No ONE instituion should ideally own more than say 2%.

Comments please. Time for some gum flapping.
    Last edited by Willi; September 6, 2010, 11:26 AM.

sound good to me. Over to the save Air Jamaica crew.

Are they for real or just "Opposers"
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Saving Air J and having it scaled down and properly run (as planned by Air Roti) was misguided only if one believes Jamaicans are congenitally unable to run an airline....who knows maybe that's true.

The GOJ gave it away... We are still paying the debt overhang anyway...and will supposedly get some worthless Caribbean Airlines "equity" for which we no doubt will see zero dividends and will also be unable to dispose of....what market is there for Caribbean Airlines equity? I guess the only player would be the TT Govt.
      Meanwhile the new Air J owners are NOT putting in any significant capital but are merely using the carrier to fill out their own tepid little operation....spreading their capital costs over a much expanded asset base....and creaming off the benefits for good ole T&T.

The petrocarbon industry can be profitable but is even more unforgiving and capital draining than the airline bizniz. Any well they dig could come up dry...but one dug a kilometer away could hit the elephant....or not ...one well naan guh dweet....then if oil prices collapse again they may decide it's not worth the risk....an yuh money at di bottom ah di well...ar inna Toronto sumwhey an yuh cyaan retrive dat.

I don't see Jamaicans investing $200m+ in a speculative venture especially with a tiny, unproven outfit like Rainville... especially in such a timeframe as proposed.

Dem fi fine one partner whey kno di bizniz an have money fi bun...do I hear it for CNOCC or Petro China? They're (The Chinese that is) already drilling in Cuban waters I believe. They need an investor with a long view.
      Last edited by Don1; September 6, 2010, 11:45 AM.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Sure it is a great idea, and there is where it ends as an idea. Jamaicans lack the organizational sophistication to pull off something like that.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          Dem fi fine one partner whey kno di bizniz an have money fi bun...do I hear it for CNOCC or Petro China? They're (The Chinese that is) already drilling in Cuban waters I believe. They need an investor with a long view.
          what about BP? Bruce Petroleum, of course!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Air line nuh mek money in general!!! Nutten fi do wid Jamaica. Is a WW disease.

Oil company a mek money hand ova fist.

Cheese to chalk

Comment

It would be mezzanine type financing. Big Oil would be needed to take it to full commercialization,,,,BUT we would be in as a partner for the fuss floor. Too late for Ground floor.

Talk bout speculative venture...THAT is Air J!!!!

Comment

you ah talk bout Oil and man ah talk bout Airline..

LOL !!

Profundity... quickest way to become a Millionaire is to start off as a Billionaire and buy an Airline.

Comment

I tend to agree...unfortunately.

Comment

shhhh...

Why yuh tink Jamaica stay suh... 'brilliant' men like Don1 at the helm..dem SOUND like dem have sense but scratch off di surface and.. wallah...

Comment

Crab in barrel can organize ??

Yuh evah hear bout someting called Red-Eye ?

And I don't mean flying from San Fran to New York...

Comment

It's a nice (oil) pipe dream to have Jamaican investors involved....but unfortunately the investment prospect has neither the advantage of time nor a successful track record on the part of the promoters and the intended geological structures to be drilled...ie the market would see this as highly speculative....so to expect the participation of some neophyte Jamaican wildcard investors out to make a quick return (say 2-5 years) is not realistic..

This prospect needs a partner with a long term perspective...and even longer pockets

It would be different if the tiny Canadian outfit had a successful record AND/OR if Jamaica waters were a proven hydrocarbon producer....then the speculative aspect would be less....and an offer to invest more acceptable to the general market.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

or if they were offering 10% per month...

Comment

that definitely cyan werk!!!

sign me up....but ongly if mi inna di line fuss!! LoL!

Comment

Oil mek more money dan airline yes... mi nah seh no to dat.

Jus line up bout $1B fi start yuh oil company...an den expec yuh payoff inna bout 10-15 year... das if yuh lucky an cyan pay off di legal an illegal pirate dem who aggo dung pan yuh fuss

Comment

Working...
                              X