• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivah launches election campaign: Chiney Road $ is Co-Pilot

I answer only to the people — Golding
    Garfield Myers
    Saturday, September 04, 2010

NEW MARKET, St Elizabeth — Under persistent pressure as a result of the clumsy handling of and extradition request and related lobbying efforts in recent months, a combative Prime Minister Bruce Golding is insisting that he is "answerable" only to the people of Jamaica.

Golding told a supportive audience during the St Elizabeth launch of a massive China-funded US$400-million road and infrastructure rehabilitation programme at the Lewisville High School in New Market, SW St Elizabeth on Tuesday that he would not be distracted from efforts to repair the struggling Jamaican economy and improve the lot of ordinary people.

"You know something, when I got this job I understood clearly that I am accountable to the people of Jamaica, not to any board room, not to those who sit at the pinnacle of any private sector empire and not to those who own and control particular instruments of media dissemination," declared Golding.

"I am accountable to the people of Jamaica, and it is for them that I work, and it is to them that I will (give) account at the appropriate time," he added to loud applause.

His reference to "appropriate time" was apparently in relation to parliamentary elections which are constitutionally due in two years. Golding's Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) holds a slim parliamentary majority over the Opposition People's National Party (PNP), which held political power for 18 years prior to defeat in the 2007 elections.

Golding apologised to the nation in May for perceived mishandling of an extradition request by the United States of former West Kingston 'don' Christopher 'Dudus' Coke and related lobbying efforts through the US law firm Manatt, Phelps and Phillips. West Kingston is Golding's parliamentary constituency, routinely considered the strongest for the JLP.

The Golding government eventually approved the US extradition request in May, following a nine-month delay. The decision triggered civil unrest in Tivoli Gardens and surrounding communities in West Kingston, leaving dozens dead. A two-month limited State of Emergency also resulted.

Calls have persisted for Golding to resign over the issue and, at the very least, provide "full disclosure" on the entire affair.

The five-year islandwide road repair programme -- the Jamaica Development Infrastructure Programme -- is to be implemented by the Chinese firm China Harbour Engineering Company Limited in partnership with the National Works Agency, the Department of Local Government and the parish councils
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

oh well. I was going to say the same thing. I am happy they are finally going to fix the Blue Mountain road that the people died off in the truck a few years ago.

Hopefully they will fix Fort George road in St.Mary too.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

hopefully they get some lickylicky votes too
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
      X