Dialysis - what is the solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialysis - what is the solution?

Just got an email from an acquaintance who is seeking help for his dialysis treatments. He writes - "I have to pay for dialysis treatments costing approx $28,560.00 per week (2 treatments and 2 injections)..."

That is a lot of money! And he is around 34 years old.

I just heard about a cousin of mine who has to be doing the same thing.

Is this how it is in Merkah? Do you have to be rich to extend your life?

Jamaica is in need of more machines.

http://www.diabetesjamaica.com/index.php?pageId=5

There are currently fifty (50) dialysis machines in Jamaica treating approximately two hundred and fifty (250) patients. The math is simple, even at the lower estimate of 780 new cases per year, hundreds of people are dying because there are not enough machines to offer treatment to everyone who needs it. Kidney failure does not discriminate, it strikes rich and poor, old and young alike. Kidney failure is a debilitating disease that affects the entire body. There is no substitute for a good kidney, but while we can, we must work together to help those who suffer from ESRD to enjoy a better quality of life.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to dampen the weekend vibes.

Dancehall mi seh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Mo - I have no idea what the fees are. But here's the link to a place in Jamaica

http://news.sunshinedialysis.com/

She also has centers outside of Kingston.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Big business .
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

sorry to hear of your friend's condition... dat is why health insurance is necessary... one of my earlier jobs was in a dialysis wing in a hospital... very familar with the disease and know a few people who are dependent on the treatment... i am empathetic to everyone who has this condition especially due to its debilitating effects...

in the states, health insurance usually covers the costs of the treatments... i am wondering if the jamaican government cannot implement a universal healthcare system, similarly to what is in the states where everyone pays into a healtcare fund to cover the costs of these illnesses...

are there any studies being conducted on the reasons why jamaica has such a high rate of kidney failures... for instance, areas of highest prevalence... enviromental or diet and lifestyle choices, etc... does bauxite mining play any role... sure we need more dialysis machines... we cannot just keep buying machines without understanding the cause for the high rate of kidney failures...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

From observation, a large percentage of persons who need dialysis have battled diabetes - which is left uncontrolled leads to malfunction of the kidneys.
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

As well as many other complications like eye problems, amputations, etc, etc.

Diabetes is one of those conditions that when managed well , one can have a fairly normal and long life, but if it is not, it leads to expensive and life-changing complications.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

true dat... however, i was just thinking that perhaps there might be additional causes... cause from what i understand jamaica has an alarmingly high rate of kidney failures...

Comment

very true i-man... i have a good friend who is now blind... a result of not attending to his diabetes... kept drinking even though he was diagnosed with diabetes...

i don't know... is there a big public education campaign about diabetes and the need to get screened and take preventative measures...

often people will hear about a disease but don't take into consideration the effects of the disease...

Comment

health insurance? this is the first part of the email:

"I just want to use this medium to inform you that I have reached my maximum lifetime benefit from Sagicor Life Insurance since April 30, 2010."

Once that expired, he had to dig into his pockets.

ok, so life insurance is not health insurance, but would health ins. cover everything? for ever?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Any disease that not associated with pain is like that. Very easy to ignore and then when the damage is obvious it is too late.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

in the states, previously health insurance would not cover pre-existing conditions... if the person contracted the disease while under coverage, the insurance would cover the costs for as long as they continue to be insured...

since the obama health reform, health insurance cannot deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions... and yes, health insurance would cover for as long as the person remains alive...

Comment

Most health insurance policies have a maximum lifetime benefit too. At least the ones I have seen. But it is typically quite high like in the millions.

There is Medicaid, but I suppose you have to liquidate your personal assets first before you qualify, or move them into someone elses name which may be some form of insurance fraud.

Comment

Ah Merikah yuh mad, if yuh guh ah mergency room ah 3 grand suh check it.
                          Merikah ah nuh health dem deal wid a administration; derefore, nuh sick yah suh widout insurance kah yuh dead like double. Bwoy it hard pan ah yout when him haffi deal wid dem tings jah know life nuh easy. Prayers fi di breddrin kah, mi know how di ting set.
                          Last edited by myYout; September 3, 2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

The only permanent treatment for end stage kidney failure is a kidney transplant.
                            Last edited by Bruce; September 3, 2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

very true... then it becomes a question of availabilty of donors... a donor awareness campaign should be launched in jamaica encouraging the citizens to agree to donate organs in the event of death...

Comment

Working...
                              X