X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A flower blooms in St Andrew

A flower blooms in St Andrew - Marigold Harding sworn in as custos

Published: Friday | September 3, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Governor General Sir Patrick Allen looks on as Marigold Harding, the new custos of St Andrew, is sworn in at King's House, St Andrew, yesterday. - Gladstone Taylor/Photographer

The usually pristine lawns of King's House were freshly trimmed as dapperly dressed guests took their seats.

The distinguished guests turned out on a typical September afternoon in the tropics to see the installation of Marigold Harding as the new custos rotulorum for St Andrew. She takes over from Bishop Carmen Stewart, who served 18 years in the post.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding lauded Stewart, saying she brought dignity and charm to the job and that St Andrew would forever be indebted to her. He opined that there was no one more appropriate to take the office than Harding, wife of Senate President Oswald Harding.

As president of the Lay Magistrates' Association and a justice of the peace (JP) for 28 years, Harding brings much experience, part of it from working closely with Stewart. Among her initiatives is establishing an office to coordinate and administer the activities of the St Andrew JPs.

The new custos said one of her first goals was to update the roll of JPs and to push for younger members, a way to bridge the gap with the society's younger generation. She also vowed to make her members more visible in their communities.

"If we have better communities, we will have a better Jamaica," she said.
    Born in Fairy Hill, Portland, Harding was trained as a medical technologist at the University of the West Indies. She worked for five years as chief laboratory technician at Andrews Memorial Hospital and at the Goldstein Medical Center in New York.

She later became a paralegal, and has worked in her husband's law firm for the past 15 years. Harding is also a well-known horticulturist and floral designer.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Congrats my fellow alumna. I know she will do a remarkable job.
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
      Congrats my fellow alumna. I know she will do a remarkable job.
      as custos? ok!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Custos of St Andrew?

Custos nuh apply to a whole County? She is not Custos of Surrey?

Comment

no, Willi! yuh deh a farin too long!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Eddicate mi den nuh! LoL

Comment

is nutten fi educate yuh bout. each parish have dem owna custos! a suh di ting set!

apart from being an imaginary geographic areas, what is the point of counties again?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

OK

So we really wasting money. I thought it was county custos, as we already have parish mayors.

Waste a time bizniz.

Even parish councils need fi roll up into county councils to get economic of scale and improve efficiencies.

Comment

i agree! the custos is supposed to be the GG's representative at the parish level and the head of the JPs in the parish, as far as I know. the GG...well what does he really do, and why does he need reps in each parish?

waste of time, money and ceremony!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

a Portland she come from, she can teach them about Community living.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Nah man.

If no GG, who is there to kiss the Beauty Queens and make them cry?
                      Georgie porgy puddin and pie?

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                        Nah man.

If no GG, who is there to kiss the Beauty Queens and make them cry?
                        Georgie porgy puddin and pie?

Yuh figgeting bout Sista P - will kiss and hug them!
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                          Yuh figgeting bout Sista P - will kiss and hug them!
                          Sista P nuh roll dem way deh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X