• Show
Clear All

• Welcome to Lloyd Young Drive!

Western News
    Welcome to Lloyd Young Drive!
    Albion's First Street get historic name change
    BY PAUL A REID Observer West writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, September 02, 2010

ALBION, St James — Albion's First Street was yesterday named after Lloyd George Young Senior, a veteran bodybuilding and weightlifting coach and philanthropist
    The 90-year-old Young, whose home and business place has been a household name on First Street for decades, was overwhelmed by the changing of the name to Lloyd Young Drive.

(From left Deputy mayor of Montego Bay, Cecil Davis; Marlene Young, Lloyd Young and St James Custos, Ewan Corrodus, at yesterday's ceremony to mark the renameing of Albion's First Street. (Photo: Paul Reid)

(From left Deputy mayor of Montego Bay, Cecil Davis; Marlene Young, Lloyd Young and St James Custos, Ewan Corrodus, at yesterday's ceremony to mark the renameing of Albion's First Street. (Photo: Paul Reid)

1/1

Accompanied by his wife Marlene and son Lloyd George Jnr, Young who celebrated his 90th birthday in August, told the gathering of family, friends, politicians and well wishers, "Truth be told I am no stranger to national and international honours having received the Order of Distinction and many others in weightlifting. I must say however that the naming of this street in my honour today is the sweetest of the sweet."
    With over 130 combined years of voluntary service to several sectors of society including the AIDS hospice, street people, the St James Infirmary and the Committee for the Upliftment of the Mentally Ill (CUMI), Young said the honour was fitting as he had spent many years trying to help others who were less fortunate.
    "I consider it an extremely high honour to have this street we are standing on, named in my honour, having truly dedicated a great portion of my life to helping my fellow men even when living and doing business from my property even while living on this street for many, many years."
    In a delivery spiced with wit, Young declared, "This honour is even more meaningful to me having being born at home in Sam Sharpe Square 90 years ago making me a true son of the soil. Yes me is a bay boy me born a bay!" he said to much laughter.
    In the resolution to rename the street, Deputy Mayor, Councillor Cecil Davis who stood in for Mayor Councillor Charles Sinclair, said the motion for the name change was made two years ago by Councillor Homer Davis and was seconded by Councillor Heroy Clarke.
    Young gave credit to the late publicist Byron Balfour who he said made the initial recommendation to the St James Parish Council.
    Earlier Davis described Young who won the first Mr Jamaica bodybuilding title in 1949 as "a fine example of what one man can do" while Custos Ewen Corrodus in his greeting called Young "A dedicated servant of humanity who will be forever young."
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Now if we can get the New Catherine Hall stadium re-named "Steve Malcolm Stadium".......

I proposed that the stadium, then "under construction", be re-named just after Shorty's death.

Comment

Why would you want to do that?

Just because he came to an unfortunate and early end dont make him a saint and suddenly we have to dietify him...certainly he has done NOTHING to qualify for that honour.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Good to see them can name street after somebody else than politicians.

Great!!!
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL, Bruce not in this lifetime; Shorty is viewed as how the untouchables in India are viewed. For starters: Shorty went to the wrong school and everything else just went down hill from there

Comment

So because he died while playing for the nation it means we must name a stadium for him?

Maybe you can tell me what reason we need to name anything in his honour.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
            X