• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooftop Rescue At KPH

Rooftop Rescue At KPH
    Published: Thursday | September 2, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions

Gary Spaulding, Senior Gleaner Writer

One of the more positive traits of humanity glimmered at the Kingston Public Hospital (KPH) yesterday when a troubled teen, teetering on the edge of death, was saved by the swift action of a group of young policemen.

The lawmen, high-powered weapons in tow, rushed to the top of the institution and secured the 13-year-old who stood precariously on the roof, seemingly ready to jump.

A weeping female security guard told The Gleaner that the child fled to the slanted roof after being harassed by another patient.

It was the security guard's colleague who would be one of the first on the roof to save the traumatised teen.

Professionalism and care were on full display as the girl was subdued by the trio of constables, Greg Joseph, Dameon Burrell and Kevin Dilworth, who waited with her until an ambulance arrived on the scene.

Yesterday's incident once again brought into sharp focus the need for security rails to be constructed at the facility.

At least five persons have attempted to jump from the building over the past three years, not including wounded prisoners hoping to escape the long arm of the law.

Even nurses, who were 'sick' and scarce at the hospital yesterday, cast aside their financial cares to lend a helping hand on an evening when the crowd stood mute. This was in stark contrast to two years ago when a man of unsound mind was urged to jump from the high-rise structure by a mob.

Different mood

Yesterday's event was a far cry from those days, and a scene that inspired hope, as it was not only those tasked with aiding the sick and wounded who immediately jumped to help.

It was a porter who first reached the roof and hovered over the girl.

As an alarm rang out, Ricardo Anderson, a security guard, rushed to assist the patient porter.

The police then arrived and carefully handcuffed the girl to make sure she could not jump.

They all stayed on the roof until fire truck arrived.

With the ever-growing crowd standing by, their eyes fixed on the scene, firemen raised the bucket on the truck, wrapped the child and gently lowered her to the ground as applause rang out.

A long suspense-filled moment passed before the child was released from the fire truck, and whisked into the accident and emergency unit, as the curious crowd descended with their cellphone cameras working overtime.

gary.spaulding@gleanerjm.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Does it dawn on hospital administrators that maybe it is much too easy for people to go onto the roof of the hospital?!?!

HL? Does this happen in your neck of the woods?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Hmmmm let me see.

This place is saturated with building codes and regulations (as you well know).

Lets hope it does not take long for the hospital admin. to put in place the corrective actions going forward.

Nice professional job by those involved. (Maybe the lead-person was from Amerkah.... )

SideBar:

Last year I called in a HVAC company to do some maintenance on the AC unit that cools my place of business. The technician invited me to climb the leddah to show me some issues. He had to literally coax me up. When I eventually got to the top of the building and look down...I asked myself--how the fuuk does a person jump off a roof?
      Last edited by HL; September 2, 2010, 02:53 PM.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
      X