• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops Fire At Gov't

Cops Fire At Gov't
    Published: Thursday | September 2, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions
    Carl Gilchrist, Gleaner Writer

The head of the body representing rank-and-file police personnel across the island has accused the Government of "blatant corruption" and support of criminals at the expense of those tasked with enforcing the law.

Addressing the Police Federation's 67th annual joint central conference at the Sunset Jamaica Grande in St Ann yesterday, Sergeant Raymond Wilson told delegates that the Bruce Golding administration had shown scant regard for the welfare of the organisation's members and the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) on a whole.

"We are forced to contend with an employer, the Government of Jamaica, whose motive seems hell-bent on destroying the police force in an effort to steer away the nation's attention from their blatant political corruption and clear support for (a) criminal terrorist under the cloak of party support rather than they being the Government," Wilson, the chairman of the federation, declared yesterday to a supportive audience.

He was reacting to the ongoing controversy surrounding the extradition of ousted Tivoli Gardens strongman Christopher 'Dudus' Coke and the accompanying revelations about the governing Jamaica Labour Party's engagement of a US law firm to lobby on his behalf.

Not political

"This might sound like a political speech but I guarantee you that it is not," Wilson declared. "We are police officers who are alerted one way or another to wrongdoing wherever it is and so, to hear the employer of the police through the voice of the prime minister of Jamaica declare that a certain support for fugitive 'Dudus' Coke was party support and not government support, it can only be concluded that the Government, or might I say, a political party, has openly declared that they offer support to the creation of mayhem and years of bloodshed; the snuffing out of over 1,000 lives each year over the last couple of years."

The federation chairman, who was in a militant mood, questioned whether it was by chance that the police were underpaid, deprived of the most modern technologies, kept in pigsty facilities, and worked beyond normal working hours as stipulated by International Labour Organization conventions. He also argued that the Government had "blatantly refused to enact legislation that attack power and financial bases" that lend support to criminality in Jamaica.

"We are police officers and, upon hearing the prime minister declaring that it was the party and not the Government who provided support to this (alleged) fugitive, we were simply alerted to some wrongdoing. This declaration has answered the question; it is not by chance," he said.

In the meantime, addressing outstanding wage and fringe benefits due to police, Wilson said the island's lawmen must be paid and the federation would not be daunted in its effort to ensure this was done.

Wilson said Government should address the salary issue for the police with the same attention it paid to the Coke matter.

In his address, National Security Minister Dwight Nelson, who was not present for Wilson's comments on the Government's relationship with Coke, gave those in attendance the assurance that he was determined to find a way to achieve a final result in the salary issue.

Nelson said he recognised the demonstration of fortitude and professionalism exhibited by JCF members who, despite grave and severe concerns, continue to work hard and be examples of dedication and sacrifice.

"I submit that solutions have to be found to your concerns. I assure you that my voice will not remain silent on behalf of you," he said.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    Addressing the Police Federation's 67th annual joint central conference at the Sunset Jamaica Grande in St Ann yesterday, Sergeant Raymond Wilson told delegates that the Bruce Golding administration had shown scant regard for the welfare of the organisation's members and the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) on a whole.

"We are forced to contend with an employer, the Government of Jamaica, whose motive seems hell-bent on destroying the police force in an effort to steer away the nation's attention from their blatant political corruption and clear support for (a) criminal terrorist under the cloak of party support rather than they being the Government," Wilson, the chairman of the federation, declared yesterday to a supportive audience.

He was reacting to the ongoing controversy surrounding the extradition of ousted Tivoli Gardens strongman Christopher 'Dudus' Coke and the accompanying revelations about the governing Jamaica Labour Party's engagement of a US law firm to lobby on his behalf.

Not political

"This might sound like a political speech but I guarantee you that it is not," Wilson declared. "We are police officers who are alerted one way or another to wrongdoing wherever it is and so, to hear the employer of the police through the voice of the prime minister of Jamaica declare that a certain support for fugitive 'Dudus' Coke was party support and not government support, it can only be concluded that the Government, or might I say, a political party, has openly declared that they offer support to the creation of mayhem and years of bloodshed; the snuffing out of over 1,000 lives each year over the last couple of years."
    Lazie can gwaan mek it look like me and Don1 is di ongle people dem whey feel dis way.

Allow me to repeat - the drop in crime, which is even at lower rates than during the SOE!, is a direct result of the forced dimantling of the nation's largest and most organized criminal network called Tivoli Gardens. When the arms supply is drastically cut off and there is no longer a major safe haven for criminals, that's what happens.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lazie can gwaan mek it look like me and Don1 is di ongle people dem whey feel dis way.

Allow me to repeat - the drop in crime, which is even at lower rates than during the SOE!, is a direct result of the forced dimantling of the nation's largest and most organized criminal network called Tivoli Gardens. When the arms supply is drastically cut off and there is no longer a major safe haven for criminals, that's what happens.
      ... all of a sudden yuh proud that you and Raymond Wilson have the same view? You suppose to have sense, if yuh think me wrong pon that mek me know ... won't argue wid yuh.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Since when have I said that people I generally don't like or have respect for (Raymond Wilson, for example) will always talk chupidness??

I agree with you on many issues, but strongly disagree on others. It's no different. Chill!

Thought you would go there. So predictable! So simple!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Since when have I said that people I generally don't like or have respect for (Raymond Wilson, for example) will always talk chupidness??

I agree with you on many issues, but strongly disagree on others. It's no different. Chill!

Thought you would go there. So predictable! So simple!
          This is going nowhere. People with ulterior motive will stick to their views, the memo from the SG to the AG proved that there was an issue with the evidence, something the Lyad PM have been saying all along, but people conveniently ignore.

So we disagree, today is Thursday.

Wilson's agenda is clear, he is talking about not providing resources for the police how much has the budget for security improved over the years?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Wow! What a Speech! Raymond how yuh security detail? It's not easy to speak the truth.

Raymond the salary will never be addressed; this is the advantage to keep your ranks corrupted, hence the finger pointing.

Comment

lol !!

When you want the truth.. let me know.

Comment

"It takes Cash to Care"

Comment

the memo from the SG to the AG proved that there was an issue with the evidence,
                  Lettahead Lazie deh pon di case!

Di ongly lettahead dem whey matta...ar partisan interpretation thereof... is fram di very Liad dem..LoL!
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Fire pon Govt?

Ah coup dem a bring? Tek weh dem gun, lock dem up and call the JFJ.

Heheheheeh

Comment

Working...
                    X