Poor guy. He has my sympathies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor guy. He has my sympathies.

I also spoke with Erool Anderson after his accident and he too was traumatized. Proves that they are all just human, depite the political bluster...

'I'm traumatised'

Published: Wednesday | September 1, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Onlookers stand near the wrecked bike involved in a collision with parliamentarian Roger Clarke last Monday. Derron Nicholson, the biker, died. - Photo by Rasbert Turner

Roger Clarke says he has been traumatised by the fatal collision. - FILE

1 2 >
    //Define: ContentSlider("slider_ID", [autorotate_miliseconds], [custompaginatelinkstext], [customnextlinktext]) ContentSlider("slider1", 15000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 10000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray, "Foward") //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", "", "Foward")
    Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporter FOUR-TERM PARLIAMENTARIAN Roger Clarke told The Gleaner Monday he may quit representational politics sooner than anticipated as a result of the fatal accident in which he was involved last week.
    Clarke, who represents the Central Westmoreland constituency, said he has lost his appetite for food and has been having difficulty sleeping since the collision in St Catherine which killed one man.
    "If I found myself in a situation where this would cause me not to be able to carry out my duties in terms of representation and looking after their (constituents') welfare, I would go. I do think about that. I am human," Clarke said.
    Clarke, who turns 70 this year, is into his first term as member of parliament for Central West-moreland. He had served three terms as MP in North East St Elizabeth.
    Still in shock
    Clarke disclosed that he was still in shock after the tragedy and revealed that demitting office was something he was pondering if his emotional state compromised his effectiveness as a political representative.
    Since the accident, which claimed the life of 23-year-old Derron Nicholson, the People's National Party veteran said he was "really traumatised".
    "I have had my driver's licence for 50 years and it is the first time that I have ever been in an accident," Clarke said.
    He told The Gleaner that, despite not speaking to the relatives of Nicholson, he was profoundly sorry for what happened.
    "I know how the relatives of the guy feels and I sympathise with them sincerely. If it was an ordinary accident, you would just say it is an accident, but when somebody has died, it does bring that level of trauma.
    "I don't think the relatives are more traumatised than I am," Clarke said.
    Police are still carrying out investigations to determine whether Clarke should be charged with manslaughter.
    The former government minister, now opposition spokesman on agriculture, said he could "only hope for the best in terms of my own situation" and expressed his "profound sympathy to the the relatives of the deceased".
    Said Clarke: "It is not just not being able to sleep. I have virtually lost my appetite. I have not been eating ... . You go to bed to sleep but you dream and you wonder.
    "Sometimes I say, 'Oh my God, I wish it was a dream and I was waking up out of it'."
    If Clarke is charged, he would be the second parliamentarian in nearly 20 years to be accused of death by dangerous driving.
    In 1992, Errol Anderson, a former minister of national security, was charged with manslaughter but later acquitted. The charges against him had arisen from the deaths of two women along Seaview Road in Stony Hill, St Andrew.
    Clarke would be hoping that he does not meet the fate of Anderson by being hauled before the courts.
    In the meantime, he told The Gleaner that prayers and support from several persons have been his greatest comfort.
    "What has given me strength is that I didn't know that so many people had such regard from me. I have gotten calls from every walk of life - from the highest to the lowest. Some people, when they try to call, they don't even have enough credit. Some call and pray with me on the phone," he said.
    Clarke continued: "My wife is a deacon in the Baptist Church and they have also given me the kind of support that I need."
    daraine.luton@ gleanerjm.com

yes, it must be tough. I hope he thinks it through and make his decision afterwards.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Said Clarke: "It is not just not being able to sleep. I have virtually lost my appetite. I have not been eating ... .
      Not sleeping...not good. But not eating for Roger??....hmmmmm........

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
      X