• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golding says Phillips signed pact with US w/out Cabinet appr

Golding says Phillips signed pact with US without Cabinet approval
    BY ERICA VIRTUE Observer writer virtuee@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, August 30, 2010

PRIME Minister Bruce Golding said yesterday that United States authorities pointed him to an agreement signed by former national security minister Dr Peter Phillips but which, Golding said, did not have Cabinet approval when he informed Washington that the evidence used in the extradition request for Christopher 'Dudus' Coke was obtained illegally.

Addressing the Area Council One meeting of his ruling Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) at the Papine High School in St Andrew, Golding said since the extradition request came in August 2009, the Government has been caught in the fury of the unfolding melee. However, he told the JLP die-hards it was good to speak to "members of the family [because] when all the forces that are in a rage against you, you must never forget the people on whom you can always depend".

Giving an outline of the discussion between Kingston and Washington on the extradition issue, Golding said: "When the request came in we said to the US Government the request is in contravention of the law. The US said to us, that law is not the only means by which we can get information and use it as evidence.

"We said to the US Government, what are you telling us, which agreement are you referring to? They showed us a document, signed by the minister of national security, in 2004 I believe it was. At that point I called the commissioner of police and I said, do you know anything at all about this agreement that was signed? and he said I know nothing at all about it," Golding stated.

He said that if such an agreement existed it must have had Cabinet approval, which prompted him to call the Cabinet Office for information on the agreement.

"I directed them to go and search the secret submissions, because there are some submissions that come to Cabinet that are considered highly confidential and are classified... because a matter as serious as this could not have been done without the approval of the Cabinet," Golding continued.

"They searched the secret submissions; they can find no record of any such agreement. After considerable search I got hold of a copy of the agreement, an agreement that was entered into, without as far as we can establish, the approval of the Cabinet, entered into by the former minister of national security," Golding said to loud shouts of "Peter Phillips a sell-out".

The prime minister said he examined the agreement to see what powers it contained. He said it made clear that "law enforcement agencies of Jamaica may share information with the law enforcement agencies of the United States, but any information so shared can only be used for intelligence purposes. It cannot be used for court proceedings, affidavits, any judicial activities. In other words, if you are investigating crime, that information will help you, but it was very clear that if you were to use that information for evidential purpose in court to go and try somebody, then you must go to the judge."

Golding reiterated that the Government was not against the extradition, only that what was presented to Jamaica was "flawed and a violation of our law".
    He said the US was asked that if it had other evidence that did not violate Jamaican laws, it should send it. However, he said: "The United States took a position that what they sent us was enough, they were not sending anything more. And it became obvious from early discussions, even before we started corresponding with them formally, that there was no dialogue, there was no discussion, there was no consideration. Their position was that they sent you a request, deal with it."

He said it was at that point that the JLP said it needed some help and, with the help of local attorney Harold Brady, approached the US law firm Manatt, Phelps and Phillips.

He said it was at that point that things started going wrong, and though he has apologised for the way it was handled, it appeared not to be enough.
    He also repeated his call for the law firm to produce any evidence that it was contracted by the Jamaican Government.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    After considerable search I got hold of a copy of the agreement, an agreement that was entered into, without as far as we can establish, the approval of the Cabinet, entered into by the former minister of national security," Golding said to loud shouts of "Peter Phillips a sell-out".
    sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Monday, August 30, 2010

PRIME Minister Bruce Golding said yesterday that United States authorities pointed him to an agreement signed by former national security minister Dr Peter Phillips but which, Golding said, did not have Cabinet approval when he informed Washington that the evidence used in the extradition request for Christopher 'Dudus' Coke was obtained illegally.

Addressing the Area Council One meeting of his ruling Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) at the Papine High School in St Andrew, Golding said since the extradition request came in August 2009, the Government has been caught in the fury of the unfolding melee. However, he told the JLP die-hards it was good to speak to "members of the family [because] when all the forces that are in a rage against you, you must never forget the people on whom you can always depend".

Giving an outline of the discussion between Kingston and Washington on the extradition issue, Golding said: "When the request came in we said to the US Government the request is in contravention of the law. The US said to us, that law is not the only means by which we can get information and use it as evidence.

"We said to the US Government, what are you telling us, which agreement are you referring to? They showed us a document, signed by the minister of national security, in 2004 I believe it was. At that point I called the commissioner of police and I said, do you know anything at all about this agreement that was signed? and he said I know nothing at all about it," Golding stated.

He said that if such an agreement existed it must have had Cabinet approval, which prompted him to call the Cabinet Office for information on the agreement.

"I directed them to go and search the secret submissions, because there are some submissions that come to Cabinet that are considered highly confidential and are classified... because a matter as serious as this could not have been done without the approval of the Cabinet," Golding continued.

"They searched the secret submissions; they can find no record of any such agreement. After considerable search I got hold of a copy of the agreement, an agreement that was entered into, without as far as we can establish, the approval of the Cabinet, entered into by the former minister of national security," Golding said to loud shouts of "Peter Phillips a sell-out".

The prime minister said he examined the agreement to see what powers it contained. He said it made clear that "law enforcement agencies of Jamaica may share information with the law enforcement agencies of the United States, but any information so shared can only be used for intelligence purposes. It cannot be used for court proceedings, affidavits, any judicial activities. In other words, if you are investigating crime, that information will help you, but it was very clear that if you were to use that information for evidential purpose in court to go and try somebody, then you must go to the judge."

Golding reiterated that the Government was not against the extradition, only that what was presented to Jamaica was "flawed and a violation of our law".
      He said the US was asked that if it had other evidence that did not violate Jamaican laws, it should send it. However, he said: "The United States took a position that what they sent us was enough, they were not sending anything more. And it became obvious from early discussions, even before we started corresponding with them formally, that there was no dialogue, there was no discussion, there was no consideration. Their position was that they sent you a request, deal with it."

He said it was at that point that the JLP said it needed some help and, with the help of local attorney Harold Brady, approached the US law firm Manatt, Phelps and Phillips.

He said it was at that point that things started going wrong, and though he has apologised for the way it was handled, it appeared not to be enough.
      He also repeated his call for the law firm to produce any evidence that it was contracted by the Jamaican Government.

Mosiah u kno weh mi notice bout yuh ! and a few others , onnu bias .
      Mosiah , I wonder if u knoo seh the extradition treaty would have never
      been sign if seaga was in power , ah PJ Patterson sign extradition treaty .
      Mosiah up until 1989 USA could not/Would not deport a jamaican especially from NYorkcity , and they did not challenge Michael to it , but
      as Patterson (yes u blak prince ) come to power dem knoo im have ************************Ritis an im sign it quick , bak to u mosiah , u must look at issues an
      stap ! deh pon one side .
      Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
      United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
      happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
      Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Monday, August 30, 2010

So the Ja Govt and US Govt were talking informally and could not agree and at that point the JLP said it needed some help. How does the JLP fit into the talks?

1 - Does that means that it was the JLP who was talking to the US govt?
        or
        2 - Does that mean that it was the JLP who was directing the Ja Govt in the informal talks?
        or
        3 - Does this mean that the JLP was working for the Ja Govt?
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

fire pon peter phillips

Comment

i know. RESIGN, PETER!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

CIA agent!!!! LoL!
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

This guy won't give up; I'm glad because they will learn the hard way. What is Bruce saying ? The US should send back his good citizen from TG?

Comment

The speculators on this forum is a different breed. Just a bunch of sarcastic comments. Why mi nuh surprised?
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

bruce golding is an empty, ignorant and shameless soul... he is engaging in demogoguery in his attempt to take attention off himself...

the question he should ask himself is whether peter phillips acted in contravention of jamaican law...

i suspect that if peter philips signed off on a document, he would have done so lawfully or in the current environment, bruce would have had dorothy liebourne and the dpp start an investigation...

in my opinion, bruce is being irresponsible for alluding that peter phillips was engaged in some clandestine activity with the usa...

nothing bruce golding can do will ever get me to trust him...

bruce golding must do the honorable thing and resign... that is if him have any honor...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

no seriously fire pon peter

Comment

since Peter leff Twelve Tribes im cyan duh dem ting deh wid Babylon...

Like ow im ah nuh Ras now...im cyan werk fi CIA...LoL!

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

lol... how yuh mean... anybody can werk fi cia... yuh nuh hear seh all bin laden werk fi cia... juss ask fidel castro...

but seriously, mi read earlier seh phillips ansa bruce and mek him know seh him neva need fi guh cabinet wid de agreement... a werk mi did deh an glance pon it... mi gwine check it out later... look like seh bruce neva know seh peter phillips was a minister of national security and did leff twelve tribe long time...
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

yuh seeit.... LoL!

Comment

Mi sure nuff people did 'trust' Michael Manley an PJ..

This 'trust' is clearly overrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X