X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL, dis bwoy nuh have nuh sense!

17-Year-Old Shuns Overseas Studies
    Published: Monday | August 30, 201027 Comments and 0 Reactions

Winston Swaby ... I did not like their environment, and so I felt the need to come back to Victor Dixon, where I could do the sciences which, when coupled with a good Christian environment, made it even better. - contributed
    Ask the average teenager if he or she would want to attend school in the United States and the answer would likely be in the affirmative. But not so for 17-year-old Winston Swaby who, after migrating to the US, returned to Jamaica to bag 12 Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) subjects in a single sitting without doing any extra classes.

Swaby and his sister, who were born in Perrins, Manchester, migrated to the US to join their parents in February 2009, six months into his fourth-form year at the Adventist-owned Victor Dixon High School, in Mandeville, Manchester. However, six months later, he found himself back at Victor Dixon to pursue his dream of becoming an anaesthesiologist.

"I got enrolled into a school in Hartford, Connecticut, but they did not allow students to do all the science subjects at once," said the soft-spoken Swaby. "I did not like their environment, and so I felt the need to come back to Victor Dixon, where I could do the sciences which, when coupled with a good Christian environment, made it even better."

Difficult task

However, returning to Jamaica was not as smooth as Winston thought, as his parents could not afford to send him back to a private high school. He also had to clear the immigration hurdle, of seeking an extension stay in Jamaica, which he received due to the educational nature of the request.

"My parents were not able to pay the tuition fee, but I contacted my teacher and mentor Ms Tamari Dennis from Victor Dixon and, after a period of uncertainty and anxiety, she was able to formalise a full scholarship from one of the school's faithful past students, Dr Donovan Dixon."

Swaby aced nine distinctions in English A, chemistry, biology, physics, human and social biology, integrated science, information technology, electrical and electronics technology and physical education and sports; two credits in Spanish and principles of business and a pass in mathematics.

"I got to know who Winston really is during our interaction, while doing the practice sessions for the national Schools' Challenge Quiz competition in 2008," said Dennis, who teaches science subjects and also coaches the quiz team. "Here I saw a young man who was sober, honest, helpful to his peers, and showed a great amount of academic potential, but needed a little guidance."

Hard work

During Swaby's early years at Victor Dixon, he was slow in realising the level of work necessary to achieve his high-school goals and so, for the first two years, he had become acquainted with Cs and Ds on his school reports. However, realising the financial sacrifices his parents were making to ensure he got a good education, he decided to "turn a new page" and has not looked back since. He became a member of Victor Dixon's quiz team in 2008 and was captain of the team for this year's series. He was the valedictorian for the graduating class of 2010 and was also named Male Student of the Year. In addition, he copped top awards for Spanish and the sciences.

"I am beaming with pride because of what Winston has done this year for himself and our school," said Orchid Smith, principal of Victor Dixon. "He has proven that discipline and dedication is a winning combination. We are proud of his achievement and are confident that he will be successful in his future endeavours."

Winston's mother, lvena Swaby who is in Connecticut, was overjoyed with the results.

"I am so happy for Winston. I did not feel good sending him back, but I wanted him to do what makes him happy," she said.

His father, Winston Swaby Sr, was also elated with the end results.

Swaby plans to attend Northern Caribbean University to pursue a degree in biological science.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

He is 17 years ole Mosiah.--you haffi see-wid-im.

Yung bud nuh know storm...

All colleges are not equal. Maybe he was at a community-like college in Hartford CT.

He should have gone to New York Institute of Technology ....or maybe a good college --say upstate New York in Buffalo......?
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

heh heh!

u could be right!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is he a part of the 22% increase in passes? LoL

Comment

I note no grades mentioned...12 CXEs....typical.

Comment

"Swaby aced nine distinctions in English A, chemistry, biology, physics, human and social biology, integrated science, information technology, electrical and electronics technology and physical education and sports; two credits in Spanish and principles of business and a pass in mathematics."
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The pass in maths is a bit strange considering his other distinctions. I more understand the two credits in Spanish and PoB
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sorry...I scanned the article too quickly...seems I'm slipping....can't read everything these days...didn't know CXE had a PE & Sports subject?

Comment

Neither, but why not. It might make sense for people going to insitutions like GC Foster.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    17-Year-Old Shuns Overseas Studies
                    Published: Monday | August 30, 201027 Comments and 0 Reactions

Winston Swaby ... I did not like their environment, and so I felt the need to come back to Victor Dixon, where I could do the sciences which, when coupled with a good Christian environment, made it even better. - contributed
                    Ask the average teenager if he or she would want to attend school in the United States and the answer would likely be in the affirmative. But not so for 17-year-old Winston Swaby who, after migrating to the US, returned to Jamaica to bag 12 Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) subjects in a single sitting without doing any extra classes.

Swaby and his sister, who were born in Perrins, Manchester, migrated to the US to join their parents in February 2009, six months into his fourth-form year at the Adventist-owned Victor Dixon High School, in Mandeville, Manchester. However, six months later, he found himself back at Victor Dixon to pursue his dream of becoming an anaesthesiologist.

"I got enrolled into a school in Hartford, Connecticut, but they did not allow students to do all the science subjects at once," said the soft-spoken Swaby. "I did not like their environment, and so I felt the need to come back to Victor Dixon, where I could do the sciences which, when coupled with a good Christian environment, made it even better."

Difficult task

However, returning to Jamaica was not as smooth as Winston thought, as his parents could not afford to send him back to a private high school. He also had to clear the immigration hurdle, of seeking an extension stay in Jamaica, which he received due to the educational nature of the request.

"My parents were not able to pay the tuition fee, but I contacted my teacher and mentor Ms Tamari Dennis from Victor Dixon and, after a period of uncertainty and anxiety, she was able to formalise a full scholarship from one of the school's faithful past students, Dr Donovan Dixon."

Swaby aced nine distinctions in English A, chemistry, biology, physics, human and social biology, integrated science, information technology, electrical and electronics technology and physical education and sports; two credits in Spanish and principles of business and a pass in mathematics.

"I got to know who Winston really is during our interaction, while doing the practice sessions for the national Schools' Challenge Quiz competition in 2008," said Dennis, who teaches science subjects and also coaches the quiz team. "Here I saw a young man who was sober, honest, helpful to his peers, and showed a great amount of academic potential, but needed a little guidance."

Hard work

During Swaby's early years at Victor Dixon, he was slow in realising the level of work necessary to achieve his high-school goals and so, for the first two years, he had become acquainted with Cs and Ds on his school reports. However, realising the financial sacrifices his parents were making to ensure he got a good education, he decided to "turn a new page" and has not looked back since. He became a member of Victor Dixon's quiz team in 2008 and was captain of the team for this year's series. He was the valedictorian for the graduating class of 2010 and was also named Male Student of the Year. In addition, he copped top awards for Spanish and the sciences.

"I am beaming with pride because of what Winston has done this year for himself and our school," said Orchid Smith, principal of Victor Dixon. "He has proven that discipline and dedication is a winning combination. We are proud of his achievement and are confident that he will be successful in his future endeavours."

Winston's mother, lvena Swaby who is in Connecticut, was overjoyed with the results.

"I am so happy for Winston. I did not feel good sending him back, but I wanted him to do what makes him happy," she said.

His father, Winston Swaby Sr, was also elated with the end results.

Swaby plans to attend Northern Caribbean University to pursue a degree in biological science.
                    He did the right thing by coming back to write the CSEC now he needs to go back to Uncle Sam for College. Sorry but foreign degree valid in Jamaica but Jamaican degree may not worth anything much in North America.
                    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

who says he wants to work in North America?

i do believe that Jamaicans, some of us, may put more value on a farin degree, however.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not true, a UWI degree is RECOGNIZED in the US...as well as the UWI curriculum......unless is sm fly-by-night institution.
                        Most UWI graduates do very well in US Universities for graduate studies, professional degrees, business etc....I KNOW a lot of them.

Comment

I think though that the quality of graduates at UWI has fallen....but then I'm old school.

Comment

Things lacking....basic language skills, writing, problem solving....it's bad..and I have two professionals here who concur.

Comment

Wait deh, dont the student still haffi tek (and pass) Useless English, Dev of Civ and WI historyfi graduate?

Comment

Working...
                              X