Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morality vs economics

Ian Boyne, Contributor
    It was an equal-opportunity week of sorts for the country's two main political parties as far as the corruption focus was concerned. Bruce Golding is either born lucky, has God on his side or some good obeah man somewhere. For just when The Sunday Gleaner made a miserable start to his week, no less a Messianic figure than the contractor general resurrected the Trafigura corpse.

And near the end of the week, with Golding's information minister, Daryl Vaz displaying Damascus-Road type humility and contrition at his post-Cabinet press briefing, Crusader Christie again highlighted other high-profile political opponents of Golding's, raising that alleged sweetheart deal between Omar Davies and Dehring, Bunting and Golding, under the previous People's National Party (PNP) government. It was a well-timed - or providential - deflection for the beleaguered Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) which, gladly, shared headlines with Colin Campbell and Peter Bunting.

But beyond the political theatrics and balancing acts of last week lie some substantial issues for the Jamaican people. 'An issue of trust', blared The Gleaner headline of last Tuesday, focusing on the church's strong questioning of Golding's role in the Manatt, Phelps and Phillips saga. But right below that was, 'Charge him - CG,' with a photo of former PNP minister, Colin Campbell, whose attempt to re-enter politics blew up in his face last week. It's not a good time for politicians overall. And without even drawing any moral equivalence between Trafigura and Manatt, there is undoubtedly an issue of trust affecting the entire political class in Jamaica.

I have frequently chastised our intelligentsia, particularly those most vocal in the media, for crude economic determinism and an economistic focus. We are generally contemptuous of ideology, or any explicit focus on values and mores. Our motto is, "seek first the economic kingdom and all things shall be added." We have not spent time in developing what the father of modern capitalism, philosopher-economist Adam Smith, called the moral sentiments, without which capitalism has no foundation. (The Wall Street crash and other irrational exuberances of turbo-charged capitalism should be enough to vindicate Smith).

Overshadowing everything

Yet, ironically, with the appreciable containment of the effects of the global crisis - the success of the debt exchange; the 32-year record low interest rate; halt to the runaway slide of the Jamaican dollar; successful divestment of Air Jamaica and the sugar factories; the slow rebounding of the bauxite industry etc, the Government has to be trying to get our attention to note the progress being made. Even the welcome decline in murders is not getting the kind of traction it might have because this issue of trust and morality in political life has overshadowed everything else.
    We want to know whether we have a prime minister we can trust, a prime minister who won't lie to us. In other words, we want a moral prime minister, not just one who is taking care of the economy and our security.

So morality matters, after all. It is interesting that sophisticated, avant-garde, non-fundamentalist people are so uptight about whether a prime minister lies or not. I thought it was only naive people who believed that their political leaders don't lie expediently. But it turns out that there is an expectation, after all, that political leaders must come clean, even when it can cost them their careers. And it turns out that even sophisticated secularists and deists like Wilmot Perkins and full atheists like Mark Wignall really hold to the notion we can find people committed to absolute truth-telling and absolute, flawless integrity. Without any reference at all to the PM's role in this Manatt issue, perhaps I am too cynical or pessimistic about human nature, but I don't believe the average politician anywhere in any country is committed inexorably to absolute truth-telling. If I were to wager, I would bet that most politicians are situation ethicists rather than absolutists when it comes to truth-telling.
    Last edited by Karl; August 30, 2010, 11:24 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Appreciate what you wrote Mr. Boyne, but what about those with ulterior motives? They never trusted the PM when he was in opposition, worse when he became PM, yet they complain about lack of trust in an effort to get the PM to resign.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      They never trusted the PM when he was in opposition...
      You keep bringing that up. Ok, let's deal with that!

What did Bruce do while in opposition that would have earned the respect and trust of the Jamaican people? Tell me, do!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        You keep bringing that up. Ok, let's deal with that!

What did Bruce do while in opposition that would have earned the respect and trust of the Jamaican people? Tell me, do!
        Wait ... what did PJ duh to get the love, respect and trust of you people? Memba he is Ja's longest serving PM.

The reality is there are jokers complaining about lack of trust when the fact is the same jokers that are complaining didn't trust him from day 1. So what is all the fuss about? Sound like empty barrels making the usual noise.

Comment

Who wi talking bout? Who the hell is PJ?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ian Boyne, Contributor
            It was an equal-opportunity week of sorts for the country's two main political parties as far as the corruption focus was concerned. Bruce Golding is either born lucky, has God on his side or some good obeah man somewhere. For just when The Sunday Gleaner made a miserable start to his week, no less a Messianic figure than the contractor general resurrected the Trafigura corpse.

And near the end of the week, with Golding's information minister, Daryl Vaz displaying Damascus-Road type humility and contrition at his post-Cabinet press briefing, Crusader Christie again highlighted other high-profile political opponents of Golding's, raising that alleged sweetheart deal between Omar Davies and Dehring, Bunting and Golding, under the previous People's National Party (PNP) government. It was a well-timed - or providential - deflection for the beleaguered Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) which, gladly, shared headlines with Colin Campbell and Peter Bunting.
            But beyond the political theatrics and balancing acts of last week lie some substantial issues for the Jamaican people. 'An issue of trust', blared The Gleaner headline of last Tuesday, focusing on the church's strong questioning of Golding's role in the Manatt, Phelps and Phillips saga. But right below that was, 'Charge him - CG,' with a photo of former PNP minister, Colin Campbell, whose attempt to re-enter politics blew up in his face last week. It's not a good time for politicians overall. And without even drawing any moral equivalence between Trafigura and Manatt, there is undoubtedly an issue of trust affecting the entire political class in Jamaica.
            I have frequently chastised our intelligentsia, particularly those most vocal in the media, for crude economic determinism and an economistic focus. We are generally contemptuous of ideology, or any explicit focus on values and mores. Our motto is, "seek first the economic kingdom and all things shall be added." We have not spent time in developing what the father of modern capitalism, philosopher-economist Adam Smith, called the moral sentiments, without which capitalism has no foundation. (The Wall Street crash and other irrational exuberances of turbo-charged capitalism should be enough to vindicate Smith).
            Overshadowing everything
            Yet, ironically, with the appreciable containment of the effects of the global crisis - the success of the debt exchange; the 32-year record low interest rate; halt to the runaway slide of the Jamaican dollar; successful divestment of Air Jamaica and the sugar factories; the slow rebounding of the bauxite industry etc, the Government has to be trying to get our attention to note the progress being made. Even the welcome decline in murders is not getting the kind of traction it might have because this issue of trust and morality in political life has overshadowed everything else.
            We want to know whether we have a prime minister we can trust, a prime minister who won't lie to us. In other words, we want a moral prime minister, not just one who is taking care of the economy and our security. So morality matters, after all. It is interesting that sophisticated, avant-garde, non-fundamentalist people are so uptight about whether a prime minister lies or not. I thought it was only naive people who believed that their political leaders don't lie expediently. But it turns out that there is an expectation, after all, that political leaders must come clean, even when it can cost them their careers. And it turns out that even sophisticated secularists and deists like Wilmot Perkins and full atheists like Mark Wignall really hold to the notion we can find people committed to absolute truth-telling and absolute, flawless integrity. Without any reference at all to the PM's role in this Manatt issue, perhaps I am too cynical or pessimistic about human nature, but I don't believe the average politician anywhere in any country is committed inexorably to absolute truth-telling. If I were to wager, I would bet that most politicians are situation ethicists rather than absolutists when it comes to truth-telling.
            Gelding apologist.
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Ian Boyne never have nuh sense from Braeton days. He defended that criminal act and I have lost every ounce of respect for him since then!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What? There were "No angels at Braeton"?
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Who wi talking bout? Who the hell is PJ?
                  Pity yuh didn't have that attitude before now. All of a sudden unuh concerned bout morality. What a ting.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                    What? There were "No angels at Braeton"?
                    Maybe the Devils were not there either

IN THAT HOUSE IN BRAETON (extract from a D.K. Duncan article)
                    And I have said this to my friends, many of whom are my children who are sitting over there, that I could have been in that house in Braeton. I personally know that, not through some abstract thing, but through practical reality. I was a Member of Parliament who mix-up with everybody & shy; mi neva skin up & shy; because every man have a right fi him own destiny. And I can envisage myself in the 1970s or 1960s when I was in the Black Power movement, sitting down in a room with some set of youths saying 'Listen, we have to reason out how dis ting go, what we can do wid wi life.'

Because this thing don't work through no public meeting and no whole heap a thing, we have sit down and reason, you have to reason, it's one on one, it's likkle small groups - that's where you get to the minds and to challenge the youth and thing of this country.

You cyaan just come down and spend half an hour and say 'I was there, and they look poor.' So I could have been there reasoning with them and Mr. Adams could have walked in there and sey, 'See it deh, see the b_ _ _ h deh', and just shot wi! That's exactly how it would go, that's exactly how it would have gone. And I want to put it as starkly as possible, because I want you to know that you face 'a clear and present danger.'
                    Last edited by MdmeX; August 30, 2010, 11:11 AM.
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Morality? Like defending Jamaica's most wanted? Like murdering 75 people for no good reason? Like lying about the defence of a wanted man?!?

Talk to mi, Lazie!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Morality? Like defending Jamaica's most wanted? Like murdering 75 people for no good reason? Like lying about the defence of a wanted man?!?

Talk to mi, Lazie!
                        Yuh think by keep saying that would make it so? When you're ready to look at the facts please enlighten yuhself. http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/man...pher_Coke).pdf

Murdering 75 people? Again, who is always claiming that Tivoli was untouchable? Was it okay with you that the Jamaica Most Wanted you referred to went in and barricaded himself against being taken into custody? If the rain fall yuh complain, if the sun shine yuh complain.

Lying about the defense? Again, I refer you to the memo.

Stop making up stuff bredren. Time unuh start dealing with facts.

Comment

Yuh think by keep saying that would make it so? When you're ready to look at the facts please enlighten yuhself. http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/manatt/images/Memo_Extardition(Christopher_Coke).pdf

Murdering 75 people? Again, who is always claiming that Tivoli was untouchable? Was it okay with you that the Jamaica Most Wanted you referred to went in and barricaded himself against being taken into custody? If the rain fall yuh complain, if the sun shine yuh complain.

Lying about the defense? Again, I refer you to the memo.

Stop making up stuff bredren. Time unuh start dealing with facts.
                          The memo substantiates Likle Brucie's claim that he defended the Don of Dons...in the minds of each and every Jamaican our worse criminal outside of what may be in our parliament.

That is what Golding is really defending. Yes, it is his behavior of defending a criminal...our #1 Public Enemy. You could bawl blood...the man in the streets would like to know, why has Likle Brucie gone to such great effort to defend the man who is their worse nightmare?!
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            The memo substantiates Likle Brucie's claim that he defended the Don of Dons...in the minds of each and every Jamaican our worse criminal outside of what may be in our parliament.

That is what Golding is really defending. Yes, it is his behavior of defending a criminal...our #1 Public Enemy. You could bawl blood...the man in the streets would like to know, why has Likle Brucie gone to such great effort to defend the man who is their worse nightmare?!
                            Good morning Karl. We all understand where you're coming from. Thats why me haffi show yuh respect.

Comment

Morality? Like murdering 75 people for no good reason?
                              You keep repeating this nonesense. Setting fire to police stations, killing police officers and soldiers and declaring war on the state is a perfectly good reason. Stop with the foolishness.

Comment

Working...
                              X