• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veiled threats Tamara Scott-Williams Sunday, August 15, 201

Veiled threats
    Tamara Scott-Williams

Sunday, August 15, 2010

IT has to be a most unsettling time for the members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force in general and for Sergeant Lloyd Kelly, aka 'The Buckfield Cop', in particular.
    Two months after the joint police/military operation in Tivoli Gardens where a reported 75 persons were killed to rousing public support and cries of 'dem fi dead', came Kelly's very public shooting of Ian 'Ching Singh' Lloyd in Buckfield, St Ann, and the DPP's decision to charge the sergeant with murder.
    GOLDING… needs to be reminded that he is accountable to all the people of Jamaica
    1/1
    Ching Singh had allegedly stabbed to death a woman, Loveta Wilson, and Kelly and colleagues had gone into the area in search of him. Video footage shows Ching Singh lying on his back, fending off a baton beating delivered by Constable Vickroy Mowatt, feeling around for something to protect himself and finally, resorting to pelting the officers with two, maybe three stones after which a very calm Kelly semi-circled Ching Singh and shot him, cheered on by the crowd which had gathered, yelling: "shat 'im again!!!"
    I'm curious: how different is the shooting of one murderer, may we ask, from the gangster-cleansing activities in the Tivoli 2010 incursion? Why haven't those soldiers and policemen been charged too? If it is that Kelly had done little else but rid society of one more criminal, is he not then a hero?
    The message that comes through loud and clear is: Kill, but make sure you're not video-taped. It's the fourth rule of the game after: Steal, but don't get caught. Lie, but make sure you say "sorry" afterwards. Cheat, but claim that you were only following precedent.
    Any "play by the rules" Jamaican would be left feeling out of step with the new Jamaica.
    I have come to question the relevance of this column in the face of a growing sense of hopelessness and shortage of a collective moral conscience, but it's hard to give up this space. I thought about it, I really did. Took a short trip to farrin' and returned with every intention of capping this pen and focusing only on my other editorial work.
    Alas, I've decided not to -- encouraged in no small part by those who have noticed the erratic submissions and also too by a bastion of civilised society, who stopped me in a parking lot and reminded me of what a blessing it is to have this outlet and to speak for those who don't have a voice. Apparently, I am not the only Pollyanna out there.
    While Jamaica may have its problems, freedom of speech certainly isn't one of them -- and even though it is certain that speaking too freely makes one a pariah and unpopular in many a quarter, depending on the scandal of the day, and most certainly limits one's cocktail party options, I am delighted to have the opportunity which allows me, as that very sweet lady said, to "jook dem".
    That, in two words, ladies and gentlemen, is the only antidote for the multiple episodes of righteous indignation that every well-thinking Jamaican experiences on a daily basis. "Jook dem" indeed.
    It appears that I am in good company, for no less than the chairman of this newspaper, the Hon Gordon 'Butch' Stewart, has become so riled up over the perceived ineptitude of this Government that he's broken the businessman's code of co-conspiratorial silence and essentially told certain members of Parliament to stop their yapping and start listening instead.
    Don't know who mash yu corn, Butch, but thanks for speaking out. And it's time the voices got a little louder, because it appears that the prime minister might be trying to turn a deaf ear. He recently lashed his critics, those who "issue statements, and the columnists (who) write their columns and the editors (who) write their editorials" saying that he will not allow anything anymore to distract him from the work he has to do, and that he was accountable only to the people of Jamaica.
    Added to that was his veiled threat that "They must, however, be a little cautious and a little guarded before pretending to be able to speak for you and people like you," he told the party faithful at a Jamaica Labour Party conference in Montego Bay.
    In this difficult period of mixed messages and political spin, the PM needs to be reminded that he is accountable to all the people of Jamaica -- including the statement-issuers, columnists and editors -- not just his enthusiastic party supporters. Let's give thanks for this beautiful island and the courage and freedom to stand up for it.
    Post Script. For all you tree-huggers out there, there is a move to "Save Font Hill" from divestment to a hotel chain to build a 3,000+ room hotel, golf course and airport. You can view the recently released video by the Jamaica Environment Trust on YouTube. It tells a beautiful story of just how blessed this island is, and how we can save a small corner of it from ruin.
    scowicomm@gmail.com
    GOLDING... needs to be reminded that he is accountable to all the people of Jamaica
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X