Of hopes and wishes for 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of hopes and wishes for 2007

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Of hopes and wishes for 2007</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Ken Chaplin
    Tuesday, January 02, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=80 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Ken Chaplin</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>As I look back on 2006, my first thought is that Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller should carefully think before she speaks to avoid such mispronouncements as she gave the country while discussing the Official Secrets Act. Among other things, she wants public servants to remain silent on any misdeeds of the government, as in colonial days. We passed that stage long ago to the extent that both the governments of Michael Manley and P J Patterson promised to abolish the Act.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The prime minister should start reading the newspapers or get her press secretary Lincoln Robinson, a competent professional, to present her with an extensive news summary on her email by 6 o'clock each morning. Some years ago, I paid an official visit to Bonn, Germany, and an official of the chancellor's office told me at a briefing that such an exercise was of great importance. The news summary was the first thing that the chancellor read each morning. Here Prime Minister Simpson Miller recently shocked the nation by saying publicly that she does not read the newspapers. She has to start reading the daily newspapers to know what is happening in the country and what critics are saying about her and the government. She cannot always rely on second-hand reports.<P class=StoryText align=justify>I hope Opposition Leader Bruce Golding will stop calling on the government to hold general elections. This is an exercise in futility. As happened in the past, it is the responsibility of the prime minister to call such elections and she will do so of her own free will, which is usually the time she considers her party has the best chance of winning. What Golding should be doing is stepping up his campaign for a fixed election date in the Constitution. Golding has proved himself an outstanding Leader of the Opposition and I hope he will continue to be in top form in 2007.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Simpson Miller was a disappointment as she came with nothing new. She cannot make an impression if all she can do is to continue with Patterson's policies and programmes which have not taken the country far in terms of social development. I hope that this year she will offer something of her own stamp and some of the changes in the many areas which she spoke of during her campaign for the presidency of the People's National Party and to be prime minister. It may be recalled that Simpson Miller spoke strongly against
    corruption, but the biggest corruption of the year has taken place within her government, resulting in the resignation of a minister. Also, the poor are still waiting for the justice which Simpson Miller promised.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Prime Minister Simpson Miller and National Security Minister Dr Peter Phillips have started their party's election campaign by making promises. Simpson Miller, among other things, called on the National Housing Trust (NHT) to provide housing for more low-income groups such as household helpers. Phillips has set up a working party to recommend increased salaries and better conditions of service for members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force. As far as housing for low-income groups is concerned, preference will first have to be given to contributors to the housing fund.
    Non-contributors will have to wait until all contributors have been satisfied. I hope that this will be the policy of the NHT.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Members of the po
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X