• Show
Clear All

• Third parties & Independence blues

Third parties & Independence blues

Published: Sunday | August 8, 2010 6 Comments and 0 Reactions

Blaine

Seaga

1 2 >
    //Define: ContentSlider("slider_ID", [autorotate_miliseconds], [custompaginatelinkstext], [customnextlinktext]) ContentSlider("slider1", 15000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 10000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray, "Foward") //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", "", "Foward")
    Ian Boyne, Contributor
    Betty Ann Blaine is likely to do better than Ras Astor Black at the polls. She should take comfort from this. She will not fare the worst. But I can safely stake my prophetic mantle on "the sure word of prophecy" that Betty Ann's New Nation Coalition will share the same fate as the old 'third' parties.
    And, though almost everyone has dismissed our latest political formation as comedic relief in stressful times, or a grand waste of time, the level of cynicism, disillusionment and apathy toward our two traditional parties should say otherwise.
    According to the RJR/TVJ/Boxill poll, 67.1 per cent of Jamaicans believe that their prime minister has lied to them on the 'Dudus' issue, and 52 per cent believe that he does not have the moral authority to lead. Yet despite this, more people have an unfavourable opinion of the People's National Party (PNP) - 50 per cent - than the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) - 48 per cent! And the party standings publicised Wednesday evening showed the PNP only slightly ahead of the ruling JLP.
    Pollster Professor Ian Boxill has said on several occasions that the most noteworthy finding out of his latest polls is the level of disenchantment with the two political parties, and the fact that declining support for the JLP is not translating into enhanced ratings for the Opposition PNP. On this the 48th anniversary of our Independence, it is appropriate to take stock and assess the political project.
    The fact itself that so many question our gains as a nation after 48 years of independence speaks volumes. When one looks at the appalling levels of crime, corruption, economic underdevelopment and sense of hopelessness, one is apt to say that the Independence initiative was not worth it. But while our problems are, indeed, grave and, in some instances, are at crisis levels, we are far harsher on ourselves than we need to be.
    Ignorance
    A part of the reason for that is simply our ignorance of what takes place in other countries and the fact that too many of us read too little. So it is not surprising that you frequently hear talk-show hosts and other members of the chattering classes say that Jamaica is one of the worst countries in the world or, "nowhere else but Jamaica." Some even say Jamaica is a "failed state", utterly oblivious to the fact that the phrase "failed state" has a particular meaning in the international community - and is not synonymous with simply a state with a weak economy and many social problems.
    It is not true that we have achieved 'little or nothing' in 48 years. It is a fact that we are underachievers, and that we have loads of problems that it was within our capacity to solve. But let us not undersell ourselves, as my good friend Rex Nettleford used to say. Our elections have been flawed and our garrison politics has deformed our democracy, but our democratic ethos can never be questioned and our political parties have never been naked and vulgar in scorning our democratic ideals - as have many others all over the world. We have never had a coup. We have never had a civil war following any election.
    We have never had any [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]prime [COLOR=blue ! important]minister[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] or political leader of the dubious moral stature of Omar Hassan al-Bashir of Sudan; Than Shwe of Myanmar (Burma); Isaias Afwerki of Eriteria; Meles Zenawi of Ethiopia; Idriss Deby of Chad; Hosni Mubarak of Egypt; Blaise Compare of Burkina Faso; Paul Kagame of Rwanda; Paul Biya of Cameroon; kim Jong Il of North [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Korea[/COLOR][/COLOR]; Yoweri Museveni of Uganda; or Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo of Equatorial Guinea; Sani Abacha of Nigeria or Mobutu Sese Seko of what was Zaire. I have not even mentioned Pol Pot of Cambodia, Idi Amin of Uganda or Bokassa of what was the Central African Empire.
    When people talk about Jamaica's being a failed state and "one of the worst in the world", they shamelessly parade their ignorance of world affairs. We have had political leaders with strong links with gunmen and murderers. These political leaders have facilitated crime and corruption. But they have been restrained by our institutions and a robust democratic culture. Jamaicans talk about our politics-crime link and some even talk of "state capture" by narco elements, but when you know what's going on in our own Latin American [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]region[/COLOR][/COLOR], you don't engage in loose talk. Jamaica has not reached rock-bottom yet. In Mexico, the decapitation of policemen has become commonplace, and the killing of public servants is a serious problem throughout Latin America.
    Talking nonsense
    In Brazil one criminal gang, First Capital Command (PCC) virtually runs Sao Paulo. They collect 'taxes' through extortion, and run social welfare services similar to our dons - but with more ruthlessness, organisation and might. In May, 2006, there were five days of PCC attacks against public buildings, private businesses, policemen and civilians, resulting in dozens of deaths and millions of dollars damage in South America's largest city. This led one Brazilian security officer to say, "the sad reality is that the state is now the prisoner of the PCC."
    In Jamaica, our security forces were able to rout and smash the mother of all garrisons in Tivoli Gardens in short order, sending shottas fleeing like scared crows. Let's not talk nonsense about failed state if we don't know what we are talking about. The criminals in Jamaica have no doubt about the capacity of this state to crush them.
    In Guatemala, it is estimated that as much as 40 per cent of the territory is either subject to dispute or effectively beyond the control of the police and the central government. That is what it means when you have a failed state. As the eye-opening paper put out by the Strategic Studies Institute of the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]United [COLOR=blue ! important]States [/COLOR][COLOR=blue ! important]Army[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] War College, The Regional Context: Organised Crime and Irregular Warfare in Latin America says, "As gangs dominate broad patches of Guatemalan territory; as Government institutions are hallowed out from within-in short, as the Guatemalan state fails to meet the basic requirements of a functioning state, citizens are losing faith in their country's fragile democracy".
    Raging democracy
    One thing about us in Jamaica on this Independence [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]weekend[/COLOR][/COLOR]: We have no doubt that we have a raucous, raging democracy. We can call up talk-show hosts and 'cuss' our politicians dog rotten. We can write letters in the press blasting Golding and his administration and ridiculing Portia Simpson Miller and her former finance minister.
    Our press is one of the freest in the entire world - and has been so acknowledged by international organisations. The day any political leader threatens press freedom in Jamaica is the day he effectively begins his preparation to leave office. This is something we can be proud of as an independent nation.
    We have a strong, vocal and vigorous human-rights movement which has been standing up for marginalised and brutalised members of the society. Our potent human-rights lobby is one of the things we can be proud of as we celebrate our independence. There was a time when police could batter-bruise youth-and-youth and nobody in high society would care. Today, high-society members are busy lobbying for these poor and defenceless Jamaicans. There are many societies in which our human-rights lobby could not operate.
    Our strong civil society is one of the things we can be proud of this independence weekend. Our potent civil society, including our independent press, forced the Golding administration to backtrack on the 'Dudus' extradition issue, freed this country of one of its most feared and infamous citizens, and liberated an area of Jamaica that once considered itself an inviolable republic. The people of Tivoli can now celebrate their independence - truly, this weekend - thanks to the relentless civil society advocacy, among other things.
    Incalculable contribution
    But let's not bash the political class unfairly. For while Tivoli remains a blot on the career of Edward Phillip George Seaga, his contribution to nation-building has been phenomenal and spectacular. It is a "lie from the pit of hell", as they say in evangelical circles, to say that our politicians have done nothing but mash up Jamaica. Politicians have done a lot of good. Edward Seaga himself has contributed incalculably to this country. The work of people like Alexander Bustamante and Norman Manley have been significant in laying important foundations. Michael Manley's place in history, despite naysayers, is assured and honoured, whatever his blunders.
    All our prime ministers have contributed to our development. Yes, they could have done more. And they could have committed far fewer errors. But they have done far better than many other leaders in other parts of the world - including leaders in Europe.
    My view is that going forward, civil society will have to play an even more critical role. I believe in the Trevor Munroe's model of pushing the political parties from the outside to adopt an agenda in the interest of the people. I believe Betty Ann Blaine would be far more useful in that role than as a political leader. But Betty is sincere, committed, dedicated and is a person of integrity. I don't think she will be successful, but I have no doubt about her motives and her deep, abiding love for our children and the oppressed.
    But just as I believe Bruce Golding was wise to abandon the National Democratic Movement for a party that could win state power, so I believe that Betty's best bet, outside of joining one of the tribes, was to use her talk-show platform and civil-society advocacy to influence the political agenda. In 'Dudusgate', civil society showed its power. The pressure must be kept up on the political class. They respond to public pressure.
    The strength of our civil society, including our media, plus our strong democratic ethos, represent the real force of our nationalism. It is our ultimate source of hope as we enter our 49th year.
    Ian Boyne is a veteran journa-list who may be reached at ianboyne1@yahoo.com or feedback sent to columns@gleanerjm.com

Share |
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

another paradox...or is it? no matter what the jlpnp does people will never accept a third party ... is that some kind of a fatalism?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I would not say "never", but it will take a grassroots movement that reaches all over the island to do it. I believe that it is the network of JLPNP that makes it so hard to take down. It is 60+ years in the making with the trade unions backing it.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yes it has to be a movement that has achieved something first.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

well, so far is never!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
          X