• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourism figures: Sass - Needed your indepth analysis

Golding hyped over record tourist arrivals
    Jamaica Observer
    Thursday, July 29, 2010

PRIME Minister Bruce Golding says the country is expecting to record its highest ever visitor arrivals for the month of July.

Speaking on his monthly radio programme Jamaica House Live last night, Golding said despite the fact that a State of Emergency was in place, “we are still cautiously optimistic that we are going to do well again”.

He was referring to figures last year, which showed that Jamaica did better in terms of tourist arrivals than any other country in the Caribbean.
    “We led the Caribbean! We had a three per cent growth last year which was the best performance of any Caricom country,” Golding said.

He added: “Last year July was the best month that we have ever had in tourism in terms of the number of arrivals. Last year July, and this year July, I am told by [Tourism] Minister [Ed] Bartlett, that we are going to exceed last year July. Now at a time like this, if that is not something to say, we know that things are tough, but some things are working and where those things are working we need to encourage them.”

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...urist-arrivals

---------

The reports are all over the place. One moment, one speaker claims, tourism figures great! Next, another - Tourism down! ...and 'up'...then 'down'...then 'up'...then...????

I need the truth! ...unvarnished!
    ...and I am sure so do all the Massive!!!!!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

one thing we know - him is a damn lyad!

i woulden doubt if he was simply just brucegoldicating the tourism facts.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

A nuh him one say so Mo.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Karl understand it all politics. Any slight dip in the figures the JHTA and other interest bawl for tax break etc. I support tax break for small properties who have suffered with the influx of large one but why give the big ones the break.

The numbers for June was only 3% down year over year last year. Kingston suffered bad but the other destinations didn't suffer too much from the fallout. I recently had a cousin who work with an airline went down on standby and it took him 4 days to get out as all the flights on Delta out of Jamaica had waiting list.

What the current figure is showing is while we have a good July the number for the fall wasn't that good even before SOE. Hopefully some promotion and price cut will bring in a few visitors. Sandals is re-investing in its properties for the fall so the must see the possiblity of more tourists.

Tourism is live and well as long as the price is competitive and service is good. We can make it better but there is no alarm.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
        X