• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mona School of Business launches financial magazine

First issue of MSB magazine hits market

Donna Hussey-Whyte

Thursday, July 15, 2010

THE first issue of the Mona School of Business (MSB) cutting edge magazine Business Review, which targets policy makers, current and aspiring corporate executives, opinion shapers in the business community, entrepreneurs, business school students and researchers, hit the market recently.

In presenting a copy of the inaugural issue -- Recovery of the Jamaican economy after recession -- to the Media Association of Jamaica (MAJ) Tuesday at the Observer's office in Kingston, publisher Professor Evan Duggan said the magazine will be published three times per year and will cover and draw from the knowledge and experience of local and international business leaders and policy makers, target residents at MSB and the wider University community, business analysts, journalists, as well as distinguished alumni and enthusiastic students.

"This is a business magazine which maintains an ongoing focus on five areas," Professor Duggan said. "These areas are policy, entrepreneurship, strategy and solutions, technology, and finance and economy."

Editor of the magazine Claude Robinson said the first edition examines the present business environment and is intended to be a part of business discussions everywhere.

"This is the magazine that will set the standard for business publication in the Caribbean by providing readers with cutting-edge research, insight and analysis to guide policy and action in business and the broader economy," Robinson said.

Meanwhile, former governor general Sir Kenneth Hall, who is an advisor to the editorial committee and who also writes for the magazine, said it is his desire to work with the media to strengthen the linkage with the business community.

The other writers include former prime minister Edward Seaga, Dennis Morrison, Alicia Roache, Cedric Wilson, Colin F Bullock, Dr William Lawrence, and Ralph Thomas.

Jamaica Observer chief executive officer, Edward Khoury, also received a copy of the magazine.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Sounds like a good idea.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Do they have a web site?

Comment

There's a big void in independent financial analysis in Jamaica...a space now "filled" by newspaper reports of dubious value.....frequently reporting the verbal emissions of foreign "experts".... to whose opinions many ascribe an exaggerated & often misplaced importance... AKA the foreign mind mentality

I hope the magazine has a thorough, balanced and scientific approach

They could put it in one of the dailies as a free standing insert to increase distribution
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Sounds like a great idea. I am a bit curious, why every 3 months rather than a quartely magazine. I have never heard of a 3-monthly periodical, but I guess that is ok. Another thing, Edward Seaga as a contributor to a business magazine. Now thats a stretch. I guess even that might be ok, as long as he gets only one article for the entire history of the magazine, he is not on the editorial board, and his writing is carefully edited. I personally think this guy has nothing more to contribute except patisan squabblings, and apologies for his failed policies, while blaming everybody else for the ills of our society. BTW whose decision was it to make him a permanent visiting scholar to the university? Terrible, terrible, terrible decision in my opinion.

Comment

Quarterly means every 3 months. 4 Qtrs in a year of 12 months,no?

Comment

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
              Sounds like a great idea. I am a bit curious, why every 3 months rather than a quartely magazine. I have never heard of a 3-monthly periodical, but I guess that is ok.
              LOL

Comment

Hopefully they write interesting articles that many can understand and do not take the Jamaican phd approach of stuffing the article with techinical material that only a couple people will understand.

Comment

yuh kidding right?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes Willi. Correction. I wanted to ask why not quaterly rather than 3 times per year, which wouls be every 4 months. Thats unusual for a periodical. I thought most periodicals were monthly, weekly, bimonthly, quarterly. Four-monthly is a bit odd. I guess nothing in Jamaica surprises anymore.

Comment

OK, gotcha.

Yes, that cycle would be a bit odd.

Comment

Yep kinda weird. The first issue will be Vol.1 issue 1 and last issue for the year will be Vol 1 issue 3. Very weird indeed.

Comment

One the contributors is a past RBSC writer.....but most unnu young inna dis still...how mi no get mi copy yet? Mosiah check it out for me pls.

Comment

Who? Ohene? LoL

Comment

No..don't think he is into Academia...

Comment

Working...
                              X