phillips shies away... maybe hoping portia would

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phillips shies away... maybe hoping portia would

honorable thing and step down in the party's interest...

Phillips shies away from PNP leadership race

Dr. Peter Phillips. (Gleaner Company photo)

Former People's National Party (PNP) vice president and one time presidential challenger, Dr. Peter Phillips has declared that he has absolutely no plans to mount another campaign for the PNP's highest ranking job post.
    Dr. Phillips, who first exposed the controversial Manatt affair which many feel brought the ruling JLP administration to its knees, says he is not eyeing the post at this time.
    Dr. Phillips mounted an energetic campaign to take over the helm of the PNP four years ago, but was beaten by incumbent leader Portia Simpson-Miller.
    A second attempt to wrest power from Mrs. Simpson-Miller in 2008 also failed miserably.
    Both challenges caused bitter squabbles within the party that ensued for months and caused the tongues of political pundits to wag.
    Now with the Opposition's annual political conference barely two months away and nominations for the party’s leadership officially opened Wednesday, Dr. Phillips, the party's current Communications Commission chair says running for the post of president is not in the cards.
    “The nominations are open and I have no intention this year of running for any post in the party. I am not offering myself as either President or Vice President. I have a full plate of activities undertaking both in relation to my parliamentary and political responsibilities and my personal interests,” Dr. Phillips said.
    The party's General Secretary Peter Bunting, another man widely touted as a possible leadership successor, says he too has no interest in filling out the presidential nomination form.
    “I am saying there is no vacancy for President and I am certainly not challenging the incumbent. I am her General Secretary and I support her fully,” Mr. Bunting said.
    Analysts say the party will be going all out to prevent an embarrassing repeat of 2008 and are not surprised that there will be no leadership contenders at the upcoming September conference.
    Nonetheless, the PNP secretariat says the nomination period will close at midday on Wednesday, July 21.
    The nomination period which was approved by the National Executive Council is designed to facilitate adequate preparation in the event that voting is required at the elections.
    The incumbents are President, Portia Simpson Miller and Vice Presidents, Angela Brown-Burke, Noel Arscott, Dr. Fenton Ferguson and Derrick Kellier.
    Last edited by Baddaz; July 8, 2010, 12:19 AM.
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

My contribution to your talk of Nanny P's resignation:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukK9hjIYWmY

Comment

Nothing honourable about her stepping down...it is the sensible thing to do, the only thing to do if she genuinely loves the party and her country, but then who has ever confused Portia with doing anything sensible???
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Maybe its the party that should have done the sensible thing and not re-elected her? Why is this all on Portia? They want her as leader!

The PNP has the leader they justly deserve. Just like the JLP deserved what they got by keeping Seaga as thier leader way past his expiration date.

Now we have to hope that the Jamaican people do the sensible thing and keep the PNP out of office until they get the message that change is needed.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

You maybe need to understand the delegate culture that we have and how people get elected to those positions, most times it has very little to do with how equipped they are to handle the job.

Long before she was elected some PNP lackey told me of a plan where she would be there as the symbolic head to attract votes then have a 'committee' in the background do all the work.

If that was the plan then it failed miserably as she believed in her abilities to run the party and the country and we have seen where that got us..
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Nothing honourable? Okay, who do you suggest? Dr.Maxine Henry Wilson? Maybe Dr.Trevor Munroe.

When Bruce came to power I heard the talk here that he was very intelligent and the right choice over Portia. The talk was that Bruce was very eloquent and had a solid command of the English language. It didn't take much form the US to let the whole island see that Bruce is the south pole to the word intelligence. Given the above mentality Ja will never progress but mired in poverty and petty squabbles whilst others come in and exploit the island.

Self hatred is a scar of slavery.

Comment

Lets say there was such a plan (which i doubt). Then after the plan failed, they lost the election, got a chance to to elect a new leader and ............?

They elected her again? By a BIGGER margin than the first time?

Looks like Portia is the one with the sense (relatively speaking) and the party leaders are the fools to me.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Go back in your cave and stay there as you have nothing sensible to add to the discussion, blinded as you are with your mis placed biasses.

Bout nanny Portia
                Che Guevara.

Comment

This opinion that Bruce Golding is not intelligent is very interesting..

What is the source ?

Just curious.

Comment

Portia maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post

What is the source ?

Just curious.
                      Sources are too numerous to mention..

The brainlessness of Gelding has been splashed across the headlines from Australia...to Zimbabwe

pick yuh chice....di hole ah dem noice
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

cyaan find no reference to dis brainlessness..

post a link nuh...

mi know him nevah guh good school but good school just celebrate 50 years suh mebbe him nevah have di option.

Dem seh him was a Head Boy doh..

Comment

sarry...system overload wen mi google Golding & stupidity...cyaan angle di traffic..
                          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post

What is the source ?

Just curious.
                            Mi nuh know bout dat. Mi know him r.a.ss LIE!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                              Nothing honourable? Okay, who do you suggest? Dr.Maxine Henry Wilson? Maybe Dr.Trevor Munroe.

When Bruce came to power I heard the talk here that he was very intelligent and the right choice over Portia. The talk was that Bruce was very eloquent and had a solid command of the English language. It didn't take much form the US to let the whole island see that Bruce is the south pole to the word intelligence. Given the above mentality Ja will never progress but mired in poverty and petty squabbles whilst others come in and exploit the island.

Self hatred is a scar of slavery.
                              Jawge: I am with out 100%.

I have listened to the posts on Portia's lack of ability to lead the PNP and The Nation and nary a sensible post has been made to show that lack of ability. It is always about her speech patterns and a a vague "yuh nuh si shi nuh ave no sense"? You nuh si shi a nuh leadership material? How yuh caaan ave dat as yuh PM?

Total unaldulterated nonsense on or about her ability to lead?
                              ...as to the the singing of Bruce Golding being "the greatest thing since slice bread" with Tilla's help the posts can be resurrected to show the many here who were "on that train".

Sure Likle Brucie is sweet sounding...but he sure as hell proved to those who are led by 'glitter' that he is ...
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X